Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader

Ohh my goodness...  For a Squire...  Ridiculous... As is his spelling of maple?  Which he writes like this 

M4p1e neck

Why would you spell it like that, its an Ebay listing not a text message? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has he put the decimal point in the wrong place?! I'll give him £170 for it.. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9720
    edited May 2018
    And a plywood body Squ13r at that.

Added to my watch list, to raise the seller's hopes.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    Clearly a Russian operative leaving a message for his handler. Or have I been watching too much Homeland?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12446
    Gone crazy wi them zeros
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Ha, ha it's not even one of the decent MIK Squiers. The S serial ones are pretty poor, blocky badly cut ply body (look at the that arm contour in the 3rd pic :o), crappy tuners, crappy microphonic pickups (according to the seller Fender alnico twin bar magnet ones :lol: ), crappy hardware and badly shaped Encore style pickguard. The necks are the about the only ok bit, but even then they have oddly spaced 12th fret dot markers. One of the worst Squiers out there in my experience.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader
    I actually bought a black one of those in a car boot sale for £30 a few years ago....    And actually for thirty quid it was pretty decent. I ended giving it to my nephew.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14676
    Rabs said:
    For a Squire... Why would you spell it like that, its an Ebay listing not a text message

At least that vendor managed to spell Squier correct, like, innit?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    What a nice seller. Like he said, he didn't have to tell us how nice those models are, but he does anyway. 

90% original, 10% MoJo
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    How the hell can the saddles have been replaced because ‘theyre too far gone’ yet the frets have ‘hardly any wear’ lol... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8210
    edited May 2018
    In fairness to the seller, Squier Strats from the early 80s were pretty desirable guitars. They were made to a high quality in Japan and were serious rivals to the American ones. Not to be confused with the plywood beginners guitars that they churn out now.

That said, those decent ones are identifiable by a serial number starting with JV (Japanese Vintage). This isn't one of those - it's about 6 or 7 years too late. I suspect the seller is trying to hang this one on the coat-tails of the decent ones and catch an unsuspecting punter who is unaware of the difference.

There is no explanation for the use of m4p1e though. That's just nuts. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9720
    Now down to an only mildly outrageous £350.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Just had an eBay notification... it’s been reduced by £1450!!!!!!

another £200 reduction and it’ll be about the right price :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    In fairness to the seller, Squier Strats from the early 80s were pretty desirable guitars. They were made to a high quality in Japan and were serious rivals to the American ones. Not to be confused with the plywood beginners guitars that they churn out now.

That said, those decent ones are identifiable by a serial number starting with JV (Japanese Vintage). This isn't one of those - it's about 6 or 7 years too late. I suspect the seller is trying to hang this one on the coat-tails of the decent ones and catch an unsuspecting punter who is unaware of the difference.

Eh? Squier make no plywood bodied guitars now and haven't for years. Current Squiers (particularly Standard, Vintage modified & CVs) are of a high standard, some claim the CV Squiers approach those of early MIJ Squiers. JV was the serial number used for the first few years of MIJ Fender and Squier models, but later models such as SQ, E, Silver Series were all decent non-ply guitars.

The real nadir of Squier production arguably started with model in the ebay listing in 89 and carried on through the 90s, excluding some limited edition/short runs of higher quality. Even the first year of Korean production were'nt too bad - solid bodies, Gotoh tuners, Fender saddles, Hipshot string trees, decent necks.
    edited May 2018
    Octafish said:
    Hattigol said:

Eh? Squier make no plywood bodied guitars now and haven't for years. Current Squiers (particularly Standard, Vintage modified & CVs) are of a high standard, some claim the CV Squiers approach those of early MIJ Squiers. JV was the serial number used for the first few years of MIJ Fender and Squier models, but later models such as SQ, E, Silver Series were all decent non-ply guitars.

The real nadir of Squier production arguably started with model in the ebay listing in 89 and carried on through the 90s, excluding some limited edition/short runs of higher quality. Even the first year of Korean production were'nt too bad - solid bodies, Gotoh tuners, Fender saddles, Hipshot string trees, decent necks.
    I used plywood as a euphemism for cheap wood.

Agree re the nadir period for these - pretty sure the best period involved the JV ones in the early 80s but I may be wrong.

Looking at the above posts, it seems the guitar was on at a mental figure previously, hence the OP. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nadir means the worst or lowest point, so that wouldn't be the JV. Modern Squiers use a mixture of Alder, Poplar and Basswood, all used in higher end guitars. I don't think it's accurate to describe modern Squiers as made of cheap rubbish wood or 'plywood'.

No one in this thread is arguing that the ebay price is anything other than ludicrous - even the revised price. This ebay Squier would be inferior to a current £100 Squier Bullet Strat (from my own experience playing both models).
    Octafish said:
    Nadir means the worst or lowest point, so that wouldn't be the JV. Modern Squiers use a mixture of Alder, Poplar and Basswood, all used in higher end guitars. I don't think it's accurate to describe modern Squiers as made of cheap rubbish wood or 'plywood'.

No one in this thread is arguing that the ebay price is anything other than ludicrous - even the revised price. This ebay Squier would be inferior to a current £100 Squier Bullet Strat (from my own experience playing both models).
    Yeah ok re nadir. I was up too early today.
    Duly edited.
    Hattigol said:
    Octafish said:

Yeah ok re nadir. I was up too early today.
    Duly edited.
    Ha, ha, yeah agree the JVs are seen as a cut above, although I think it was the top of the range Fender branded JVs that generate the most hype and the Squiers get dragged along. The Fender JVs were supposed to be more vintage correct than the 80s US AVRIs.

I've never played a Squier JV, but I have read those who do own one claiming that the current Squier CV models comes pretty close. I have played a CV Strat that was very nice (definitely better than the Fender Mex std Strat) and I own a Squier CV Tele that is a great guitar.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14676
    Octafish said:
    I think it was the top of the range Fender branded JVs that generate the most hype and the Squiers get dragged along. 
    The JV series guitars with a Fender decal are exactly the same as the the first Squier guitars to reach the UK with the big Fender script and the small Squier script on the decal. Before long, the decal was changed. The legend Squier got pride of place. The Fender logo got smaller and was moved over to one side.

Octafish said:
    The Fender JVs were supposed to be more vintage correct than the 80s US AVRIs.
    Both series suffered from inaccuracies and anachronisms.

The JV series '52 Telecaster came in a Butterscotch Blonde urethane finish and black pickguard but with a slim maple neck with a profile that belonged in the Sixties. 

Hattigol said:
    I used plywood as a euphemism for cheap wood.
    Quick. Somebody, tell Marshall that their loudspeaker cabinets should be inexpensive! :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Octafish said:
    I think it was the top of the range Fender branded JVs that generate the most hype and the Squiers get dragged along. 
    The JV series guitars with a Fender decal are exactly the same as the the first Squier guitars to reach the UK with the big Fender script and the small Squier script on the decal. Before long, the decal was changed. The legend Squier got pride of place. The Fender logo got smaller and was moved over to one side.

Yes, confusingly there were Squier JVs that intially had a large Fender logo, but these aren't the same as the non-Squier 'proper' Fender JVs that I was referring to, which a had all US hardware and nitro finish (Tele included). There were a number of different levels of JV models from Squier to Fender, but I don't think all were offically imported to the UK.

It's been suggested that the top of the range Fender JV Strats have more period accurate contours and details such as correct 12th dot spacing on 50s models.