Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky, if Clarky and I am at the GearFest together, we can hook the AF2s together.  Imagine all the delays, reverbs and modulation you could have on that. SPLOOSH!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28039
    I am giddy with anticipation.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you as wet as a pipe smoking otter's pocket?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28039
    I decline to answer that question as I feel it might compromise my good standing on the site.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Bye Bye Q12... it's back with Matrix.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    Do tell.

I mean why?
    Just didn't like it. Liked the idea of a small 1x12 rig, but didn't like the FRFR sound. Tried lots of different options, and tried it with the band (so not just at home) and just prefer the standard guitar cab sound.

Matrix have been excellent, great customer support and a lot of help and support from them all, but in the end it just wasn't for me. it was shipped back on Thursday to them (although I'm still waiting for my refund)

• You've probably had this one posed to you before ,but have you thought about the NL12? 
    Thought about it and dismissed it quickly, i just don't like 1x12s. I've tried a few different ones now (inc the Q12) and to my ears it just doesn't fill a room like a 2x12, even at bedroom levels, with a 1x12 it sound too small.

• Im actually with you on this Si.  I havent tried any FRFR solutions I like.  The Codas I tried a few years back were the best, at around £2k EACH, and the N1X12s are pretty good for just monitoring purposes but apart from that ......

I tried the CR12s, and there OK but I wasnt blown away and I suspect the same with the Q12s.   I may well pick up a powered wedge (which rules Matrix out as they dont do one) soon (with twin inputs so I CAN use it for the AFX rig should I wish)  - as I need one for monitoring vocals, my acoustic and my Keys in the band (Im using an old, very cheap and crappy Collins PA top at present which sounds like shit - but I can hear myself).

At present its a choice between the RCF 12, RCF 10 and possibly the Atomic CLR.  There all more than I want to spend really, so Im keeping a watch on the classifieds.  Until I find one of those cheap enough Ill make do.

HOWEVER, Im really tempted with the Matrix Cabs - but Im waiting for the 2x12 version if truth be told.  Im not a fan of 1x12s either.
    I would defiantly give the 2x12 version of the N12 consideration when it comes out, but my current 2x12 isn't really heavy (I'm using a Harley Benton at the moment for gigs) and I can't say I've got a need for a light cab specifically.

edited September 2013
    Valve Power Amp in Da House....

.. Valves no longer in Da House... sent back to Ebay seller as it's faulty.. Tosser!! costing me £25 shipping to return it..

And.. valves back in the room.. dead done with seller and partial refund..

Turning the power amp sims off screws with a lot of my patches, most are clipping the output really badly and volumes are all over the place,  so I need to rework them all when I can get some time.

• Don't you just hate it when that happens?!? I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I'm thinking of making an ultra linear power amp, to try and get a flat response but valve like dynamics and feel. Might work....if not ill have it as a hifi amp!
    Well... spent a bit of time with the valve power amp comparing it to the Matrix and the valve power amp is so much better than the matrix one. It's heavier (although not hugely so), needs maintenance, get's hot (need to maybe re-think my rack layout due to heat) but it's worth all of that IMHO.  I've only tried it at bedroom levels so far (although quite loud) and it's hard to describe.. sounds more like an amp than a modeller now. 

I've tried them side by side using  a new patch with the default settings (almost default at least) and the valve amp gives a much better sound out of the box. I'm not saying that you couldn't tweak the matrix settings to get it a lot more valve sounding, but there was no need with the valve amp. I did spend a bit of time tweaking the settings for the 2 amps to try to get the best out of them both and although the Matrix did sound good, it's just missing something that the valve amp gives it. 

I'm still un-decided if I prefer the power amp sims on or off, some amp models seem to sound better with them on, others with them off, unfortunately I don't think there is a way to do this on a per-patch basis so I'll maybe have to work with that.  Some models, like the Plexi's which rely on power amp gain don't work well with the sims off obviously.

One caveat, I've always been a marshall fan and prefer that midrange marshall type of tone so having a Marshall power amp obviously suits that sound. I'm not sure how well my Marshall power amp gives that american Mesa type of sound, but I don't want that so I don't really care. I did try a quick Rectifier patch and it sounded great, but maybe that's more of a Mesa Pre/Marshall power amp type of hybrid sound I'm getting rather than a true Rectifier tone (although at the volume I was at i'm not getting any power amp distortion really), the rectifier sounded great with the power amp sims ON.

Next thing I need to do it create a suite of patches for the valve power amp and try them at band volume, but that won't be until monday night.
  • I'm thinking of making an ultra linear power amp, to try and get a flat response but valve like dynamics and feel.
    Integrated in a 1x12 combo? :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    What valve power amp are you using?
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, forgot to say, Marshall 20/20

I know it's not flat, and will impart a flavour to everything, but given that 99% of what I do is Marshall based, I'm not bothered about a Marshall flavour to everything.
  • @Si_ turn the sag down to 0 and it'll disable power amp sim on a patch by patch basis.

@ddlooping you read my mind....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah... didn't know that. handy tip thanks.. 
  • Was going to say Sag at 0.

One thing to remember - you may need twin sets of patches.  The problem with valve amps in and lower wattage ones in particular is the sound changes as you run them louder.  Patches that sound better with PA sims engaged at home/rehearsal volumes dont sound right at gig volumes because the valves in the PA are driven harder - it changes how they sound and feel (all of which Im sure you know).  

So - sounds you disable the PA sims for - such as high gain modern sounds that rely on pre amp gain - sound great at lower volumes but get mushy at high ones as those sounds arnt meant to be generated with power amp crunch (which you get with lower power valve amps up high).  Clean amp tones start to crunch up at gig volumes, and Marshally type tones change.

So - you either need twin patches, one set with PA sims for low volume and antother without for high volumes, OR you need a valve power amp with enough headroom to not start to crunch, and to run the PA sims on all the time in the AFX.

Its the conundrum I had before I switched to the Matrix.  I had a VHT 50/50 which was great, and more than loud enough to let me run PA sims on all the time - however, It was big and heavy.  IF there was a nice 1U, lighter 20W valve amp that did the same thing Id have gone that way, but they just dont have the headroom to not run into issues at high volumes (if Patches had PA sims on) OR at low ones (If PA sims were off).  Its why I went Matrix and sacrificed a little feel.

In all honesty, Im still waiting for the Fryette 1U PA.  It will still be heavier than the Matrix - but lighter than the 50/50.  At 40W it should have enough headroom BUT its also bridgeable to 80W which definitely will be.