Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I see where the prob could be then... having a handful of scenes, one on each IA..

when you switch from scene1 to scene2 you will simply be stomping on IA2 for example

so if some of the IA's LED's cannot be "linked", then you'd end up with both LED's on for IA1 and IA2..

I guess it'd be safer to cover / dissable the LEDs cos seeing nothnig is surely better than seeing 'wrong'

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Not having an Axe 2 (yet!) - I have an Ultra and a KPA - I'm assuming that scene changes are controlled with a CC#? The FCB Un0 does have the option of using stompbox mode which sets up one row of switches to switch FX in and out while the other row remains as normal. Seems likely you could use this to have 5 program changes and 5 scene changes in each bank. Provided scene changes always use the same CC#'s then this would work for all PC's in all banks, giving you 25 scenes per bank. You could still have a couple of IA's switchable on each PC switch too but it would be a b*gger keeping track of it all when playing live :-D.

The expression pedals would remain as set for each program change, regardless of scene change but all this still gives quite a lot of control for about £80 used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

yes... scene changes are MIDI CC switched [CC 34 of memory serves]..

the values within the CC select the specific scenes

assuming I've remembered CC34 correctly

CC34: value 0 = scene1

CC34: value 1 = scene2 etc.. for a total of 8 scenes

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    With the Un0 chip, can you set all of the switches to be CC's?
    No, but you could set them all to the same PC and have different CC#'s on each one.
    a while back, a fella in the FAS forum was having agro setting up CC's..
    he had an FCB with this upgrade..

I helped him set it up so I downloaded the manual [unfortunately I didn't save it - didn't need to]
    we managed to get it doing everything he needed it to..

I do however recall thinking that this ain't a bad looking unit with this upgrade..
    really quite impressed...
    iirc, it can bung out two CC commands from a single IA - which for me is where the control magic happens in the Axe..

@Drew_fx you may want to download the manual and see if it can hit the spot for you...
    If you do get one, don't program it from the unit - it's a pain. There are a few decent computer editors that make it much easier.

I saw one of those editors.. can't recall which one, but it did look very friendly..

I'm wondering if the FCB may be a good option for me when touring.. cos it'll be lighter than the MFC..

can the FCB take in external switches and XP's??

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26566
    edited June 2014
    Clarky said:

I saw one of those editors.. can't recall which one, but it did look very friendly..

I'm wondering if the FCB may be a good option for me when touring.. cos it'll be lighter than the MFC..

can the FCB take in external switches and XP's??

Not just lighter - cheaper and quicker to replace, too.

...and yes, it can take external switches/XPs. It also has a couple of relay control outputs, if you ever need such a thing.
    <space for hire>

now this is getting really interesting...

how do you go about the upgrade?

do you buy the unit already upgraded? or contact the guy that does it and he sends you the bits and instructions?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26566
    Clarky said:

now this is getting really interesting...

how do you go about the upgrade?

do you buy the unit already upgraded? or contact the guy that does it and he sends you the bits and instructions?

You can buy them upgraded, but only second-hand. As far as I'm aware, it's just a case of replacing the EPROM chip or simply upgrading the firmware using a binary file. There are a few different variants of the firmware available - you'd be well-served having a look at the features of all the various options (UnO and Eureka are the ones I know of).

<space for hire>

thanks... I may look into this at some point.. right now I'm not GASing for a controller.. I have a few of them.. but I'm liking the look of this modded FCB..

thing is.. my next GAS is for LASS.. which is a lot of dosh and will take some time to get together..

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    What is LASS?
    (baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But seriously I don't know what LASS is.

LA Scoring Strings.. it's an orchestral strings audio unit [plug-in] that is especially good for cinematic music..

I'm working with a bunch of guys writing movie trailers.. Clarky's job is to work specifically on the orchestra, choir, guitars, drums and the heavy blood and snot stuff...

Ah right cool yes I've heard of that but didn't make the connection since this is a guitar forum.  I wish I had the need (and cash) to get a whole load of orchestra sample libraries, some of the purely sampled orchestra stuff I've heard clips of is fantastic these days.

absolutely... and I have a real need to continue to expand my orchestral and choral libs...

tell ya what..

if you want to chat orchestrals in a DAW etc... we can do that in the making music or studio & recording areas..

so this thread can stay on topic with the Axe-FX related stuff....

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Didn't expect the input Z to make as much difference as it does! Super Verb and 1M sounds very different from Super Verb and 22k+cap!! Later is more spanky.
    On that note, do the fuzz emulations on the Axe work properly?  Can you get a Fuzz Face to react like a Fuzz face with relation to the guitar's volume knob?  Can you still do that even if you use another pedal that would be 'buffered' somewhere?  Or is that not how the Axe works?  

I really like Fuzz pedals but I never use them because of how other pedals that I use interact with them, and I'm not about to go and re-buy a set of pedals specifically with the goal of having a FF that works properly.