Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    Here is a very rough demo, featuring Axe on guitars and bass.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nut6h2al2ok6ts/Plus2Degrees_Bass.mp3

Das Metall yet again - I think it's my favourite amp on the thing! Cleans were the Super Verb. Light crunch was Das Metall with gain at something like 1.2 with boost and saturation both turned off.

Bass was Orange Thunderverb 200, TS pedal and two SVT cabs. Few timing issues, but as I said... only a demo!
    fkn lovin' this

interestingly.. Das Metall was never properly modelled. Cliff said it was an "idealised" model. Essentially he guessed because he didn't have a real VH4 to work from.

Das Metall is a fave of mine too..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A - D Moll
    B - Das Metal with preamp
    C - Das Metal without preamp
    @Drew_fx for the first time in a long time I've just tried out Das Metall..
    when I first got the Axe my two riffing amps of choice were Das Metall with the 5150..
    subsequent updates added more amps.. in particular the VH4 and the 5153Red.. I loved them so I switched..

now you've been talking about the Das Metall model it made me think about it and go try it again..
    jeez.. I reckon I still prefer this to the VH4 ch4 that it was emulating…
    what a great amp that is… I've been goofing with it with the Engl 4x12 and it sounds wonderful
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    A - Dmoll
    B - Axe FX with poweramp modelling
    C - Axe FX without poweramp modelling
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Interestingly I preferred the Axe clips on that test, but as you said Das Metal is different to the Dmoll.
    I found myself preferring the Axe FX too. With poweramp modelling was my preference, and I was finding that with a broad selection of IR's. This test used some Catharsis IR's I've got knocking around from a few years back.

I actually do kinda hope I can switch to using the Axe for live use... but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Mainly to do with switching, but also to do with amplification.
  • Drew_fx;259525" said:
    I found myself preferring the Axe FX too. With poweramp modelling was my preference, and I was finding that with a broad selection of IR's. This test used some Catharsis IR's I've got knocking around from a few years back.

I actually do kinda hope I can switch to using the Axe for live use... but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Mainly to do with switching, but also to do with amplification.
    Does the axe fx have cab irs built in? And if so, how good are they?
    Drew_fx;259525" said:

Does the axe fx have cab irs built in? And if so, how good are they?
    Yes it does. They're quite good. Some Redwirez and Ownhammer stuff in there as stock, and there are a lot of freebies out there too. I have to say, I don't hear much of a difference between Hi-Res and Ultra-Res, but that could just be my inexperience with the later.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited June 2014
    Have you tried MickRich's IRs from the Sneap Board Drew?  I'm using one of his 201 impulses in the track I'm working on, it is sounding pretty good so far.  They're in links in his sig.

Cool. I will grab it, haven't tried them yet.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Maybe this is your ideal solution if you're sticking to 4CM

edited June 2014
    So latest development for me... the GuitarHack ultrares impulses are WAY better than any of the others I've tried. I think these are my defaults. I just wish they didn't go all phasey when you try to use the two cab blocks at once.
    what cabs are they based on?
    Oh, I realised stereo cab is the way to use these IR's without phasing. Load two impulses, job is a good'n.
    I'll have to try those

I use a stereo cab with all my studio presets [I use for practice]
    I only use U-Res for recording [in mono]

I find the difference between normal, hi-res and u-res is so small that I still prefer a pair of normal res cabs in a stereo cab
    I think a stereo cab gives the largest tonal benefit
    I don't see the point unless you're using two different impulses, say to create the Fredman micing technique, or to add room mics say. If you're just using the same impulse both sides, not really benefiting over mono.
    in my stereo cabs I use the 4x12 TV mix one side and the 4x12 AX mix on the other [panned hard].. admitedly I'm also using two different amps [panned hard] when I riff.. however, when I solo the 5153Red pans centre and runs through both cabs [as does my clean tone.. the TV and AX sound similar, but just different enough.. so even when running a single amp through them the result is a balanced, thick, wide tone..
    I spent a huge chunk of yesterday playing through the Das Metall, Rockerverb 50, Dizzy V4, and the Fryette D60M amps. Kinda wish the amps were sorted by available dirt rather than name.
    here's the thing though... even the cleaner amps [51530Blue, JCM800 etc] can dirty up very nicely when you turn on the boost and / or sat switches.. they take on a whole new voice.. some are surprisingly nice.. one that took me by surprise is the 65 Bassman.. fire that up with the boost and sat, then use the drive to get the tone right [by now overdriving the lows too much - deflubbing] and you end up with a thick / fat tone with pretty gainy mids and highs..