Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited November 2014
    For all you people living in the past and still using FW 16.03, here's a link to the current FW.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And this is what is improved since this morning's release.

Fixed attaching modifier to Reverb Hold parameter uses excessive CPU. 

Fixed setting Reverb Echo Density to less than ‘8’ in High Quality mode causes ringing. 

Fixed attaching modifier to Reverb Pre-Delay attaches to Input Gain instead. 

Added 1959SLP Normal and Treble amp models based on a Marshall 100W “Super Lead Plexi” model no. 1959. 

Added “Dizzy V4 Slvr” amp models which are based on the silver-faced version of a Diezel VH4. The existing models have been renamed “Dizzy V4 Blue” as they are based on a blue-faced version. 

Tweaked the Large Hall reverb type slightly. 

Added several new reverb types. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Little chance of me taking 16.03, we add reverb at the desk, and I don't use it in the Axe FX.  Also unlikely that I'll be upgrading to any later releases until after the Christmas gigging season. 16.02 has taken me a couple of weeks to get settled.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I'm still at 15.06
    I think I'll be staying here for a while longer..

and I'm pretty happy with it too..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Roland said:
    Little chance of me taking 16.03, we add reverb at the desk, and I don't use it in the Axe FX.  Also unlikely that I'll be upgrading to any later releases until after the Christmas gigging season. 16.02 has taken me a couple of weeks to get settled.
    After Christmas?! Well you can meet me on 17.0x then. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited November 2014
    Had a play around with some advanced controls yesterday.

I've decided I don't like the dynamics knob that much really.  I'm guessing it just links the dynamic res and pres together in one knob?  It feels like it is affecting too much at once once I get it beyond a low value.

CF comp seems way more important than using the dynamics knob.

Dynamic depth, and dynamic presence, along with character frequency are way more useful than the dynamics knob if the amp isn't quite there on its own.

Adding some dynamic depth can get a flat sounding amp to have more punch on palm mutes, which is cool.

Character set to negative at a value in the 3k region helps quite a lot if the amp gets bright when you dig in.

I don't feel like all amp models need these tweaks all the time, but now I know what they do I know where to look when a tone just need a little help.

I'm really enjoying the new speaker I put in my second cab (H75).  It has livened up the treble region which has made cleans and mid gain sounds come out a bit better than just using all V30s.
  • Cripes!!! 16.04.1 is now out and I'm stuck in Belgium. How the flip am I supposed to keep up with these updates?
    Had a play around with some advanced controls yesterday.

I've decided I don't like the dynamics knob that much really.  I'm guessing it just links the dynamic res and pres together in one knob?  It feels like it is affecting too much at once once I get it beyond a low value.

CF comp seems way more important than using the dynamics knob.

Dynamic depth, and dynamic presence, along with character frequency are way more useful than the dynamics knob if the amp isn't quite there on its own.

Adding some dynamic depth can get a flat sounding amp to have more punch on palm mutes, which is cool.

Character set to negative at a value in the 3k region helps quite a lot if the amp gets bright when you dig in.

I don't feel like all amp models need these tweaks all the time, but now I know what they do I know where to look when a tone just need a little help.

I'm really enjoying the new speaker I put in my second cab (H75).  It has livened up the treble region which has made cleans and mid gain sounds come out a bit better than just using all V30s.

I enjoy turning low / mid gain amps into filth monsters by placing the MV post-PI in the power page of the amp block.. if this makes the lows flubby, the cut switch helps.. if it needs more low-end culling, a filter block before the amps helps too..

I turned a MKIIC into something like a "tighter 5153Red" doing this.. it's not my fave shredding amp..

Cripes!!! 16.04.1 is now out and I'm stuck in Belgium. How the flip am I supposed to keep up with these updates?

all my friends die and go to heaven or hell.. the ultimate nightmare is dying and ending up in Belgium for all eternity..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These firmware updates would drive me mad. I wouldn't be able to resist taking them... It would be like having someone break into your house every 3 months and reconfigure your app to sound completely different!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddict;408557" said:
    These firmware updates would drive me mad. I wouldn't be able to resist taking them... It would be like having someone break into your house every 3 months and reconfigure your app to sound completely different!
    Well it's not breaking into your house so much as letting interior designers in to make it better. The key here is letting them in. @Roland, @Clarky and Alex Lifeson all have the same attitude towards it - if it ain't broke, don't f with it until the project/tour/gigging season is over.
    had I been less than 50% through the album, I'd have upgraded and re-reamped the guitars I'd done already..
    but this FW dropped after I'd passed the halfway mark..
    so I'll just stay where I am until the album is done..

2 more songs to go..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol 16 has moved pretty fast, looks like Cliff is looking at Preamp/Channel Strip emulations for 16.05.

• What will it do? I am missing something here.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited November 2014
    So in a real recording you've got the amp, cab, mic, and the mic is plugged in to a preamp, which might have its associated console/be put through an EQ/compressor (channel strip). The mic pre/channel strip is what he's adding in 16.05. He is modelling studio gear. This will in theory be useful for DI recording/people who play through FRFR.
  • Ooooo.  Thank you, @guitarfishbay, for clarifying that for me.

A lot of the time Cliff 'n' co really get it right.
    mixing desk channel strips have preamps built in [where you jack in the mic / instrument]..
    and as you'd expect, different desks built by different manufacturers have their own specific sound..

companies like Waves for example create very good AU / plug-in FX for DAW's of different channel strips..
    like an SSL for example..
  • Sounds like this will be part of the cab block, and the idea is to simulate some non linear stuff as obviously the IR is static.  There will be economy and high quality modes, so you can pick what CPU hit you want to take.

for me personally, these may be cool when reamping.. I never reamp with my live presets.. I use stripped down versions of them specifically for reamping.. they are just amp and cab.. so these preamps could be very cool

• I know we don't say this on here ; but, when is FW 17 coming out. The wait is killing me!

:D