Rabbits

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4698

I've put my foot down this time about not getting rabbits.

So we're getting rabbits.  To be fair I've managed to get about 6 years out of refusing, but my wife and daughter have now joined forces into some kind of rabbit liberation group, and they demand we rehome a couple of bunnies from somewhere. 

So, what are they like to keep?

The RLG are designing a rabbit village that covers the whole back garden, so I don't think space will be an issue.  We are using a childs wooden playhouse and I've to install various ramps and steps to keep them amused and stimulated.  There will also have a run the size of Manchester Airports 2nd runway.  Naturally it will be secure and predator proof.

Is there anything I need to consider with them?

We have 2 cats, naturally they will be separated but since the cats are soft, I'm assuming a decent sized rabbit would be able to give a good kick if it needed to?  They wouldn't be left unsupervised together.

They will live outside but we'll bring them inside, which is great, because I'd love to add some pellets and chewed cables to the clawed furnature and cat sick I have to deal with at present.

So yeah, any comments/advice welcome.  Anything I need to be aware of?

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204

I've put my foot down this time about not getting rabbits.

So we're getting rabbits.  To be fair I've managed to get about 6 years out of refusing, but my wife and daughter have now joined forces into some kind of rabbit liberation group, and they demand we rehome a couple of bunnies from somewhere. 

So, what are they like to keep?

The RLG are designing a rabbit village that covers the whole back garden, so I don't think space will be an issue.  We are using a childs wooden playhouse and I've to install various ramps and steps to keep them amused and stimulated.  There will also have a run the size of Manchester Airports 2nd runway.  Naturally it will be secure and predator proof.

Is there anything I need to consider with them?

We have 2 cats, naturally they will be separated but since the cats are soft, I'm assuming a decent sized rabbit would be able to give a good kick if it needed to?  They wouldn't be left unsupervised together.

They will live outside but we'll bring them inside, which is great, because I'd love to add some pellets and chewed cables to the clawed furnature and cat sick I have to deal with at present.

So yeah, any comments/advice welcome.  Anything I need to be aware of?

They make a good stew, do rabbits.

I also hear they breed well. Just make sure you get a randy pair. And then you’ll not be short of stew for dinner.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I had one as a teenager, we made a run for him in the garden, and laid chicken mesh about 4" under the dirt floor of the run, it curled upwards at the edges to become the walls of the run. He had his hutch at the end of the run. IIRC the objectives included keeping him in and the cat out, and the under-floor bit was because rabbits have a tendency to burrow.

They like dandelions :) We also used to give him offcuts of cabbage or lettuce in addition to the mix of pellets and what looked like dried lentils & peas that we got from the pet food shop.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4629
    Always have two rabbits. They don't like being alone.
    Also consider where you are going to keep them in Winter, outside may be too cold.
    Foxes can dig pretty deep so you need to drop the sides of the run pretty far down

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited May 2018
    We’ve had house rabbits for years - sadly no longer. The British weather is too cold for them most of the year so, as said, you will have to accommodate them inside. Our male one lived to be nine. Depends on the breed, but if they are looked after then they live a lot longer than people think. Most bunnies die because they are kept outside all the time. They are also highly intelligent - same sort of level as cats. And yes - one bite and they can sever a cable. Give them lots of cardboard to chew on. They love it and it keeps their teeth down.
    Have fun!
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Also be aware they are randy buggers, even 2 males will try to shag each other within inches of their lives. My sons girlfriend has 2 and we had to get them both neutered as they were literally raping each other to death. They make a right mess, they dig up the lawn. Be aware also that some cats will take a fully grown rabbit. As already said, they make good stew!!! ha ha
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Visited someone who lives in the countryside yesterday and she was explaining about having to keep the cat locked in because it was killing so many wild rabbits ( I remember from my trip to Australia that domestic cats killed huge amounts of the penguin population). My mother's next door neighbour has cats and rabbits and has to keep them completely separate ( a bedroom is given over completely to the rabbits). So maybe take some further advice on having both? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    don't bother, it really is more aggro than you realise. Bringing them in in the winter to keep them warm is kind but confining to small cage is not so kind.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    I had three house rabbits at one point. They are hilarious! Very cute, some can be very friendly indeed, and they are also very clean animals. Mine always went to the cage to do the toilet and they are constantly licking themselves or each other, like cats do. When they are happy and running around doing silly wee jumps (called binkies) it is the best thing!

Bad points? Yes, they can/will chew most things given the chance. Protect cables with tubing (I used the clear stuff you get for fish tanks or ponds). Their pee can smell of ammonia. They're faster than you so catching them in the garden is a nightmare!

Did you know rabbits sleep with their eyes open? Only way to tell if they're asleep is when their noses stop twitching.

I never kept mine outside so I can't comment on that side of things, but they do make for good pets. Get them spayed. Females have a high risk of ovarian cancer. Males should be less horny too if they're done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    We had house rabbits for a few years. The first, Mono lived til he was 11.
    They make brilliant pets as long as you don't mind chewed skirting boards etc.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 603
    You should operate a 1-in-1-out system with pets (like most of us have to with guitars?)
    As soon as the rabbits move in, get rid of the cats!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    hassleham said:
    You should operate a 1-in-1-out system with pets (like most of us have to with guitars?)
    As soon as the rabbits move in, get rid of the wife and daughter!
    FTFY
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    We have Rabbits...

They are outdoorsy types, we have an old puppy run which has been converted to rabbit fortress.

Totally fine to be outside in the winter as the "shed" portion of the puppy run is quite warm with the mountains of hay wifey puts in, and they grow a thick winter coat (unless you buy them in the winter and they are not used to being outside).
    Had to insulate their water in the winter to stop from freezing but thats about it.

Super friendly, and easy to keep. They've been inside once or twice for a run around and stuff but they have always lived outside. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited May 2018
    Rabbits can be a long term commitment.

We bought 2 (always buy two else you have a grumpy / bad tempered rabbit who will then be ignored).

Ours ended up living in the house...in a large cage but are left to run around the house for about 3 hours a day.

7 years down the road we only have one, the other died of cancer last year.

They can be cute and do understand / respond to names / instructions. I say "cage" and most of the time they will head to the cage.

They tend to toilet train themselves....ok, they will let the odd poo pass when out of the cage but as its "dry pellets" its no drama.

They like /  need attention but dont really like being held too much.  

On balance they don't make great pets for small children unless "mum and dad" are prepated to do a lot of the groundwork. Many rabbits that i have seen are dumped outside in a cage and largely ignored. They become bad tempered and agressive which tends to be self defeating.

Guinea pigs make better pets for small children. They have a reasonable lifespan (4 years) and are affectionate (make a variety of noises reflecting mood). Rabbits tend to be silent unless they're grumpy - then they "thump". 

• The cats could solve the issue for you.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    exocet said:

Guinea pigs make better pets for small children. They have a reasonable lifespan (4 years) and are affectionate (make a variety of noises reflecting mood). Rabbits tend to be silent unless they're grumpy - then they "thump".

This is the first time in a long time I've been without guinea pigs.  Can't have them at the moment.  Last night I watched over an hour of guinea pig videos on You Tube just to cheer myself up.  I don't know if that's sad, weird, or possibly both!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Just leave home. Sounds much easier.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    AlexC said:
    We’ve had house rabbits for years - sadly no longer. The British weather is too cold for them most of the year so, as said, you will have to accommodate them inside. Our male one lived to be nine. Depends on the breed, but if they are looked after then they live a lot longer than people think. 
    We had a dwarf rabbit (Eric) who lived outside mostly in his hutch to the ripe old age of 13. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2369
    Fact - Cats kill rabbits...wild, more vicious rabbits too, not only that they will eat their heads. A large rabbit won't deter your cat nor will it get a chance to kick it.This won't be great experience for your child and your cats will be pretty unsettled by the new arrival too. Pass. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I forgot to add that my two rabbis were always drawn to chewing live cables. They were not interested in anything unless it was carrying "volts" or "broadband"!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    As above. Not something you should be bringing into a household with cats.