Anyone got or tried a Kiesel?

What's Hot
SporkySporky Frets: 28125
I have had a bit of an itch for an 8-string for a while now, but as usual I've managed to create a list in my head of requirements which interlock very precisely to result in there being no suitable solution - multiscale, not too weird a shape, and not daft money. Ideally not built to order as I am an awful customer.

That seemed to leave a Jackson and an Ibanez, both black superstrat types. Then I had a look at Carvin, now Kiesel, and they do a Tele shaped guitar and a roughly LP-shaped guitar that meet all the requirements, and (massive bonus) have configurators on which I can waste hours and hours until I don't actually need to buy anything at all. They seem fairly sensibly priced, even allowing for shipping and import costs.

Don't worry about the colour schemes on these. We all know if I order something it'll be sparkly blue.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/sm8/2guitars-sm8-1.jpg

https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/scbm8/2guitars-scbm8-1.jpg
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    the second one looks a beaut, how much is it likely to set you back?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    Somewhere around £1500, I think, with shipping and import costs.

The moment it lands, of course, it'll have a resale value of about £3.50!

I think I prefer that shape to the more Tele-ish one. This is a bit pale but I think it works in a solid finish too:

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/images/full/scbm8-129303_gallery.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Thanks Zepp. Yep, had one for about two months and really liked it. Played beautifully and sounded great. I just couldn't get rid of the slightly metallic/brash sound of either the pickups or the Jumbo SS frets - more likely to be the latter.

Weird because I have medium jumbo SS frets on my Suhr and they don't sound like that at all. It wasn't bad though, just not for me.

They're really, really great guitars. I reckon some jumbo nickel frets would be perfect on there (for me). I had a 7 string Aries Fanned Fret...and right now, you're making me want another one!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Interesting. I did find that my Parker Nitefly had a slightly "plinky" sound. 
  • Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    Never even seen these before and now I'm full of want....so thanks for that. 

T shape is lovely. Get one and tell us how it is so we can live vicariously through you.  ;)
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 584
    I've had a fair few Carvin's , and now own a Kiesel and a Carvin HH.
    All have been pretty consistently great .

I especially enjoy the fact that they now have ( and did for a period between 98-08) graphite rods in the neck. 

They also now have a lot of the things that other manufacturers have as an upgrade as standard ( luminlay side dots, SS frets, choosing the radius up to 20" radius) plus the ability to have it semi hollow, too.

If SS is too hard , try the gold evo fret option as this is between SS and nickel .

I'd really like a hollow Vader , but am waiting to see if one turns up second hand.
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    edited May 2018
    If it really is a 'dip your toe in' try of an eight string, i've heard good things about these- might scratch an itch for a tiny fraction of a Kiesel!

Or green, if you'd prefer!

Green is definitely better than brown.

It is a try it out sort of thing... 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    I've never seen one, much less tried one, myself, but I know on Ultimate Guitar (and probably other more USA-centric forums) there have been quite a few complaints recently- people being given guitars which didn't match up 100% to what they'd ordered and then the company refusing to put it right and things like that, IIRC. Worth googling, basically.
    I'd seen some of those - I'm not sure it's a significant proportion, though the company's response (if it is as reported) isn't ideal.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I've not played a Kiesel, only Carvins, which were OK, but not as good as the Suhrs (or even the Ibanezes) I compared them with.

Like @Dave_Mc, I've seen what I thought were a lot of complaints about QC, often centering around the fabled "Option 50". Have a look on Sevenstring.org and Metalguitarist.org, Chief.

Ah - so if you want then to make something they don't want to make it goes wrong... 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited May 2018
    Sporky said:
    I'd seen some of those - I'm not sure it's a significant proportion, though the company's response (if it is as reported) isn't ideal.
    Yeah, exactly. Like you, I have no idea what percentage of overall orders it is, but it is getting to the point where it's noticeable. And as you rightly said, even if it is only affecting a small proportion of orders, that's no way to put it right, either (as you said, if the people reporting these problems and fixes are being honest).

Glad you'd already seen them, just thought I'd better warn you in case you hadn't since no-one else seemed to have mentioned it :)
  • I know I’m late to the party... That cream colored Kiesel is my guitar! It’s my first experience with an 8-string and I’m loving it. It took a minute to get used to though. I own other guitars, but I always come back to this amazing Kiesel.  =)
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Went to the Carvin/kiesel factory in San Diego a few years back. Great staff amazing quality gear. Dollar rate is unfavourable at the moment to consider importing a fiddle but they make some stunning stuff still after the rebranding.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    That's a real shame if customers aren't getting what they custom ordered
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10347
    tFB Trader
    A US customer of mine ordered a Keisel with his own choice of Oil City pickups so I had a bit of contact with Keisel. The guitar turned out beautifully but they were a tad vague in communication with both me and the customer ... this lead to a £400 set of pickups getting lost in the post and me having to build a second set.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I  bought a HB one jsut cos it was cheap on a facebook group and despite being pretty into metal I cant honestly find a use for it at the moment....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I  bought a HB one jsut cos it was cheap on a facebook group and despite being pretty into metal I cant honestly find a use for it at the moment....
    That's what I find every time I play a 7-string; I just can't think of anything where I'd need it...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)