Bad Cat Cub iii 15

What's Hot

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    pmg said:
    My black cat 30 is a 2013 I think.  Don’t think that it’s k master (unless it’s an earlier incarnation before it was branded as such) bu5 the master volume is decent on it.  I had a 15r which I’d use wide open but I missed the oomph of the 30 and sold it  :/ 
    Apart from the very earliest ones (which are essentially a Matchless HC30) those are my favourite versions of the BC30. If you're ever selling...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    @StuartMac290  not planning to sell but you never know so I’ll bear that I’m mind.  The lightning on the other hand...
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    slacker said:
    Brocco said:
    I have a 15w Matchless and can confirm it is loud, however I don't gig. Calling @slacker for his perspective.
    The matchless or bad cat 1x12 combo is a great choice and portable for most bands, but is going to run out of clean headroom in a  very loud band. I have a matchless 15w head. I run it with a 1x12 marshall with an ev or a 2x12 tone tubby alnico theile open back hybrid. The tubby don't beam.

I don't know if you can add another cab to the combo.

Slightly controversial opinion here perhaps, but I personally strongly prefer the 30 watt models. Even in half power mode they sound bigger 
    I also have an early bc30 2x12 that stays in 15w mode most of the time. Again and imho its the two speakers that provide the bigger sound. It's too much amp for me really but I don't need to sell. I wish it was lighter.
    Ah, I have to disagree a bit here - mine have been heads, and through the same cab the 30 watt models sound notably bigger and bolder, even in half power mode
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    slacker said:
    @miserneil ; Do you have the master circuit in or out?
    It depends on the gig really but generally the master is engaged.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    It's a good master but if you knock it in accidently it can be exciting.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    Thanks for all the info guys. Still seems to be a bit of a grey area around gigging volumes though?

Last night we threw together a gig in a wee pub and we weren’t mic’d up. I had my 100 watt Marshall running with MV at around 10 o’clock and that was just audible for me. Solo boosts were no hassle though.

How does the Cub take pedals? I’d need to run a Thorpy Veteran into it at the very least
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    i'm not a fuzz guy but I've used a bunch of different drives with no issues :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Thanks for all the info guys. Still seems to be a bit of a grey area around gigging volumes though?

Last night we threw together a gig in a wee pub and we weren’t mic’d up. I had my 100 watt Marshall running with MV at around 10 o’clock and that was just audible for me. Solo boosts were no hassle though.

How does the Cub take pedals? I’d need to run a Thorpy Veteran into it at the very least
    I don't know what a Thorpy Veteran is, but the Cub is basically a 15 watt Vox Top Boost-a-like - and they're a little picky about what drive pedals they play nicely with.  I had a Matchless Lightning 15 which liked the following (and this applies to any Top Boost style amp from Vox, Matchless, Bad Cat, Morgan, Top Hat etc. etc.):

Clean to mild clipping:  Klon (or clone of).
    Moderate to overdrive:  Hot Cake or Sweet Honey OD
    Overdrive to high gain:  Rat (and go for the 'You Dirty Rat' with the germanium dioides - it's just better in every way)
    High gain to Soldano melt your face off:  Buy a new amp.
    Dodge said:

I don't know what a Thorpy Veteran is, but the Cub is basically a 15 watt Vox Top Boost-a-like - and they're a little picky about what drive pedals they play nicely with.  I had a Matchless Lightning 15 which liked the following (and this applies to any Top Boost style amp from Vox, Matchless, Bad Cat, Morgan, Top Hat etc. etc.):

Overdrive to high gain:  Rat (and go for the 'You Dirty Rat' with the germanium dioides - it's just better in every way)
    My Lightning sounds great with a LP straight in, no pedals
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Dodge said:

I dont think rats or klons are great. Plus not all Vox style amps are like a top boost, just look at the diffs between the Lightning, Spitfire and Nighthawk in 15 watts. Totally different vibe to a vintage Ef86 AC15 or AC30 which have smaller OTs and less filtering in the power stage. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Dodge said:

I dont think rats or klons are great. Plus not all Vox style amps are like a top boost, just look at the diffs between the Lightning, Spitfire and Nighthawk in 15 watts. Totally different vibe to a vintage Ef86 AC15 or AC30 which have smaller OTs and less filtering in the power stage. 
    To be fair, I DID say too boost style amps and not Vox style!  ;-) 

The Klon only really works as a boost to mild clipping IMHO, I really don't get the hype for it as a overdrive pedal - I actually find it pretty bland, but for adding a hint of grit without moving away from the core amp tone, they work well.

The filter control on the Rat helps control the top end, of which the top-boost topology has plenty.  The You Dirty Rat is actually much smoother, and works with the brightness of the top boost Vox-a-likes.

I ran Matchless amps (a small box Lightning and a DC30) for something like 10-15 years with good results with the above, and they work just as well with Vox AC30 TB's (of which I have two from the 60's).

Of course, as @pmg said - you don't really need a drive pedal if you use the volume knob on your guitar and modulate your picking strength.
    Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

To be fair, I DID say too boost style amps and not Vox style!  ;-) 

The Klon only really works as a boost to mild clipping IMHO, I really don't get the hype for it as a overdrive pedal - I actually find it pretty bland, but for adding a hint of grit without moving away from the core amp tone, they work well.

The filter control on the Rat helps control the top end, of which the top-boost topology has plenty.  The You Dirty Rat is actually much smoother, and works with the brightness of the top boost Vox-a-likes.

I ran Matchless amps (a small box Lightning and a DC30) for something like 10-15 years with good results with the above, and they work just as well with Vox AC30 TB's (of which I have two from the 60's).

Of course, as @pmg said - you don't really need a drive pedal if you use the volume knob on your guitar and modulate your picking strength.
    I think we might have similar tastes ;

i have had had success with a YDR into a matchless or Badcat using a Ric or SG.  Great fun, as is an ocd.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    +1 on the YDR with my Cub. I also like a Tubescreamer (well, Surfing Bear and Selah Feather TS-alikes), and Anarchy Gold Class, which is more like a blackface-preamp sounding thing than a full OD.

Klons are a bit more tricky. I like the Archer with mine but the Ryra doesn't quite click for me.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Just found this thread. Interesting reading as I've recently bought a Black Cat 30r head. Amazing amp. It isn't a K master one though it's a 2014 model which is just before Badcat started shipping the K masters. I don't think I'd miss it though as the master volume is fine for me. Great that I can take it out of the circuit if I wish to too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Just found this thread. Interesting reading as I've recently bought a Black Cat 30r head. Amazing amp. It isn't a K master one though it's a 2014 model which is just before Badcat started shipping the K masters. I don't think I'd miss it though as the master volume is fine for me. Great that I can take it out of the circuit if I wish to too :)
    That's the best version of the modern Black Cat 30s, congrats!

If you're ever selling etc etc
    Just found this thread. Interesting reading as I've recently bought a Black Cat 30r head. Amazing amp. It isn't a K master one though it's a 2014 model which is just before Badcat started shipping the K masters. I don't think I'd miss it though as the master volume is fine for me. Great that I can take it out of the circuit if I wish to too :)

I'll bear you in mind @StuartMac290 but I don't think it'll be anytime soon 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

There's a Black Cat 30 head and cab appeared today on Northwest Guitar/Amp Exchange on Facebook.....I was going to tag @hotpickups actually and suggest a stereo rig ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    edited October 2018
    miserneil said:
    Just found this thread. Interesting reading as I've recently bought a Black Cat 30r head. Amazing amp. It isn't a K master one though it's a 2014 model which is just before Badcat started shipping the K masters. I don't think I'd miss it though as the master volume is fine for me. Great that I can take it out of the circuit if I wish to too

There's a Black Cat 30 head and cab appeared today on Northwest Guitar/Amp Exchange on Facebook.....I was going to tag @hotpickups actually and suggest a stereo rig
    lol don't you dare @miserneil ;;

EDIT: Too late you've made me look ;) I got mine a good price by the looks of that rig on sale there. Lovely but no I'm not buying another LOL
  • I ended up not going for the 15 watt and opting instead for a vgc used Cub 40r Player Series combo. It was more affordable, and the likelihood of having a chance to play a hand-wired version, never mind hear any difference, is next to none. Therefore, this was a much better option all round for me.

I haven’t been disappointed. It’s a stunning, stunning amp! 
  • Necro-bumping to report on my first gig last night with the Cub III 15R I bought a few months back ...

... I absolutely loved it! It handled everything from full, shimmering nearly-cleans to thick fuzz (pedals for the latter) - and sat beautifully in the mix all the way.

I used a Tele into the EF86 channel, set pretty clean, with pedals for dirt (Magnetic White Atom > Subdecay Liquid Sunshine > Redbeard Angry Rhubarb) and the fat boost for solos / fills. Here are my settings:

Volume 10:30
    Bass 11:30
    Treble 12:00
    Reverb 9:00
    Cut 12:00
    K-master 11:00

It was mic'd up for FoH, so I just needed enough level for me to hear over the drummer, and to get feedback when I needed it by stepping back closer to the amp. The K-master is brilliant for this, because it allows you to tweak the overall level without changing the tone.

Overall, a really rewarding amp to play :)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans