What's your main bass?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
For some years now, my no1 bass has been a Fender Reggie Hamilton Custom shop 5. However, after a long lull in bass playing (as in a year or so), I have jumped back in with gusto and am preferring my Status series 2 four string these days. My inner child goes 'ooh, glowing things!' as it has LEDs, and better than that, they can be set to flash on and off if you feel so inclined. Pic below.

What's your number 1 bass? (and got a pic?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader
    Warwick $$ V in Nirvana Black

Like this but with Black Hardware

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    I don't have a 'main' bass, I have a bass…

http://theangelconversations.com/pics/4001.jpg

I did have a fretless P-Bass copy a while back but I wasn't really good enough on fretless to make it worthwhile, so I sold it to someone who needed it.

If I ever buy another bass it will probably either be a Fender Mustang or a semi-acoustic (Gibson EB-2, Guild Starfire etc). No real need though, the Rick covers everything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    Marleaux Consat Custom

It's wonderful. Sometimes I have rounds, and sometimes flats.

Really I need a duplicate so I can have one with each all the time!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have a bass but I'm going to sell it soon - all I ever use is my dad's 1990 MIJ Fender Jazz.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I only have a USA sub sterling, with 3 band eq, but it's an amazing instrument that plays great and sounds the balls.

My friend has the passive non-sterling version (sterling gives a slightly smaller body and an extra fret) and that is built just as well, though I prefer the sound of mine.

I also tried a 2 band eq version out and it sounds better than the 3 band. So there you have it. I picked it up from a local auction house for 300 quid, and had to use a credit card to remove a thick layer of black gunk on the fingerboard.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    An Ibanez SR700 that I love the sound and playability of, but hate the look of. I wanna go old skool with one of them Westone Thunder 2's

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I only have a USA sub sterling, with 3 band eq, but it's an amazing instrument that plays great and sounds the balls.

My friend has the passive non-sterling version (sterling gives a slightly smaller body and an extra fret) and that is built just as well, though I prefer the sound of mine.

I also tried a 2 band eq version out and it sounds better than the 3 band. So there you have it. I picked it up from a local auction house for 300 quid, and had to use a credit card to remove a thick layer of black gunk on the fingerboard.
    I too have a USA Sub Sterling, mine's in a red Hammerite type finish, paid about the same for it but have subsequently had it refretted with Dunlop 6000's by those lovely lads at Feline !

In fact, third picture down on the right hand side

http://www.felineguitars.com/repairs/fretwork.html

That's my Bass in the very capable hands of young Tom !

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543

This slightly oddball ugly thing

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/b96c470a-0338-4e89-a57c-6e1d98c85846_zps9b786bcc.jpg

is a mix of teisco spectrum and fender P-bass, but with a 35" scale and has a series/parallel switch

might refinish it again at some point, currently has a distressed copper thing going on but I think i would like a fender custom colour for a while

• DrBob;200975" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I only have a USA sub sterling, with 3 band eq, but it's an amazing instrument that plays great and sounds the balls.

I too have a USA Sub Sterling, mine's in a red Hammerite type finish, paid about the same for it but have subsequently had it refretted with Dunlop 6000's by those lovely lads at Feline !

In fact, third picture down on the right hand side

http://www.felineguitars.com/repairs/fretwork.html

That's my Bass in the very capable hands of young Tom !
    Nice, my mates one is red. Mine is blue, always wanted the white one though and would happily trade mine away just for the colour.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2014
    My one and only bass (I'm new to it) is nothing special and it's a cheap Ibanez GSR180. It's got a thin and very playable neck, so that helped when transferring over from guitar, and the sounds are fine but I'm already hankering for something better like a Fender P or J, Yamaha or Spector
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09091716074638
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    my second self-built bass tends to be the go-to choice over the first one, though I like that one too.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14196839/2014-04-01 22.49.39.jpg

Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic

I've thought about upgrading, but I'd have to spend serious wedge to get anything much better, and I don't play enough to justify it.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My '73 Ric 4001:

Love it to bits!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    edited April 2014
    Damn you… just when I thought I'd started to like mine in Fireglo :x.

:)

Mine is a '73 too - I swapped a modern Jetglo 4003 for it (to be fair the 4001 needed some work, so that's not quite as much of a free upgrade as it sounds) - but I've never particularly liked Fireglo, and Jetglo is my favourite…

You don't like Fireglo better by any chance? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2014
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkey;201600" said:
    My '73 Ric 4001:

Love it to bits!
    Oh my.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    edited April 2014
    ICBM said:
    Damn you… just when I thought I'd started to like mine in Fireglo :x.

:)

Mine is a '73 too - I swapped a modern Jetglo 4003 for it (to be fair the 4001 needed some work, so that's not quite as much of a free upgrade as it sounds) - but I've never particularly liked Fireglo, and Jetglo is my favourite…

You don't like Fireglo better by any chance? ;)
    'Fraid not, old bean! I've had the 4001 since 1990. I got it from the Drum and Guitar Centre in Cambridge for £299! I pretty much ran out of the shop with it once I'd paid, just in case they changed their minds! It has a bit of a dodgy refinish over the buckle rash and it has plenty of dings, but I honestly couldn't bear the thought of parting with it.
    Though it has to be said, yours is gorgeous!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Mine Fender Jazz
    DSC01014
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I only have one - a Tokai Jazz Bass which has had 3 paint jobs, new electrics, pick ups and is in urgent need of a re-fret.