What's your main bass?

What's Hot

Comments

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited July 2014
    Warmouth/Fender p-bass. Neck is a Warmouth Jazz, Body is a Fender Precision of some orgin, not sure. Have it about 8 years now. T'was built by an old dude in Chicago to be like a Donald 'Duck' Dunne bass, and he used to play it in his church band. It's got a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles, Schaler machine heads and a Rio Grande Muy Grande pickup. The action is low, the neck is fat, the strings have been on it for about 4 years, and the bass is light.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
    edited August 2014

My 'go to' bass is my '62 P Bass which my dad got me back in the 70's

91191 Non flash body photo 467.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    Cor blimey!

Look at that fretboard!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited August 2014

A '96 MIJ Jazz.  I only got it to match my Strat from same year, same colour etc.....sold the strat. The bass stays, it's really nice.
  • I like that!
  • I like that!
    Cheers.

It rocks. A lot. :D
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Had to get rid of this old thing...

Wasn't worth much. Too old and knackered.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dude!

what the hell is a bass? :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Here's my Yamaha TRB5 IIF 5-string fretless...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/Nomad_Zamani/Misc/YamahaTRB5IIFBass_zpsfe8cc2ac.jpg

Got it a few weeks ago. It's my only bass, the first bass I've ever owned, and it was the first bass I'd played in over 20 years when I tried it out. Made in 2000 according to the serial number. It had round-wounds on it when I got it, but I switched to flats, which I find much better.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Nomad said:

Here's my Yamaha TRB5 IIF 5-string fretless...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/Nomad_Zamani/Misc/YamahaTRB5IIFBass_zpsfe8cc2ac.jpg

Got it a few weeks ago. It's my only bass, the first bass I've ever owned, and it was the first bass I'd played in over 20 years when I tried it out. Made in 2000 according to the serial number. It had round-wounds on it when I got it, but I switched to flats, which I find much better.

Nice. 

I had a TRB1005 which I loved the sound of, and loved the look of, but the neck was just slightly too chunky for me so I sold it :(
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I had a TRB1005 which I loved the sound of, and loved the look of, but the neck was just slightly too chunky for me so I sold it :(
    Pity the neck didn't work for you. From my limited knowledge of basses, the Yam TRBs seem well screwed together. I find the neck on mine okay - depth is fine all over, width is fine up to about the 14th, but a bit marginal higher up, although I can still reach across to the B string okay. Great fun to play (speaking as a guitarist).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    My el-cheapo Yamaha. A BB614 that I thought was easily the best sounding thing for the money at the time (about 9 years ago).
    To my shame. it's still got the same strings on it! I keep toying with replacing the bridge with something chunkier (like a Gotoh 201) and the preamp with something more upmarket as I don't really use the active eq. Trouble is that by the time you've done that, you could buy a new Squier Jazz or something...

Dream bass would be a Rickenbacker like the one @ICBM owns. One day...
  • Don't knock your Yamaha BB.

Fantastic instruments. I've got a 414.
  • Gassage said:

That looks like the Gilmour / Pratt jazz.

Very nice!
    Don't knock your Yamaha BB.

Fantastic instruments. I've got a 414.
    Don't get me wrong. I still think it sounds great and I like the look too.
    I was just saying it was pretty humble amongst the Warwicks, Ric and high-end Yammys previously posted.

Truth be told, I like the idea of having a relatively low-end bass, and only one bass. I don't have any option anxiety other than how much P or J pickup to dial in and it always sounds great (to me). 

I keep reading that the 414s sound better than the 614s. I tried both at the time and couldn't really tell any difference in the core sound. It came down to a marginal preference for the natural finish over the (admittedly excellent) orange shade of the 414. I don't really use the active eq. Maybe it comes into it's own for live work but for my modest, home recording, needs I leave everything flat and shape the sound in an amp sim (other than an occasional treble roll off). 
    Gassage said:

A bit harsh. You scrub up well and the blue shirt looks classy. ;)

Actually, that bass is stunning ...but... I can't help but spy the blonde strat. 
    Given that you don't appear to muck about with anything less than staggeringly desirable instruments, I'm guessing at a Cunetto relic? Or ....gulp.... an original?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited September 2014
    Basher said:
    Gassage said:

A bit harsh. You scrub up well and the blue shirt looks classy. ;)

Actually, that bass is stunning ...but... I can't help but spy the blonde strat. 
    Given that you don't appear to muck about with anything less than staggeringly desirable instruments, I'm guessing at a Cunetto relic? Or ....gulp.... an original?
    Here you go. @fretmeister gets it in one...it is the Gilmour/Pratt bass. Guy did a rugby charity event with me 2012.

I had it for an entire week of joy afterwards.

Strat in background is mine.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I'm a bit jealous!
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom