The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    crunchman said:
    Depends where, but if it's reasonably close to London I'd be up for it.
    Ditto :) and not an owner
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got back from seeing Tremonti in Manchester and both the bassist and rhythm guitarists were using pure Kemper rigs, just the Kemper straight to the PA with the Kemper remote the only pedal on the floor. Sounded great. The rhythm guitarist does some lead parts and they sounded phenomenal. It’s nice when you see your amp on stage!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    Just got back from seeing Tremonti in Manchester and both the bassist and rhythm guitarists were using pure Kemper rigs, just the Kemper straight to the PA with the Kemper remote the only pedal on the floor. Sounded great. The rhythm guitarist does some lead parts and they sounded phenomenal. It’s nice when you see your amp on stage!
    They were using Kemper fx?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Great to hear and very cool indeed. Mark Tremonti is one of my favourite guitarists. If he ever started using one, I'd be very surprised. He's likely to be happy enough with how it sounds to let the others in the band use them but there's obviously something stopping him from doing it, wonder what it could be? Could even be something as simple as he likes how tube amps move air. Speculation, of course, but would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

@freebird, doubt they use any/many FX, mate, it's all fairly standard, straight up hard rock. You seem surprised?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Great to hear and very cool indeed. Mark Tremonti is one of my favourite guitarists. If he ever started using one, I'd be very surprised. He's likely to be happy enough with how it sounds to let the others in the band use them but there's obviously something stopping him from doing it, wonder what it could be? Could even be something as simple as he likes how tube amps move air. Speculation, of course, but would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

@freebird, doubt they use any/many FX, mate, it's all fairly standard, straight up hard rock. You seem surprised?
    Tremonti is such a purist I can't ever see it happen, it looks like he's dropped his solando for a "maybe modified" archon in the last year or so, to sit with his favourite dual rec. Bit he's still using a long cable instead of a wireless on stadium stages, so for him to go digital would probably be the musical rapture and we'd soon see Clapton and Billy gibbons with digi kit!
    (Massive fan here too btw ). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I'm sure when I saw Toto in April this year at The Royal Albert Hall, Lukather was using a Kemper (one could be seen on stage) but his Bogner heads and cabs were also present. I can't find anything about that but I do know that he uses a Kemper. I was just surprised it was live.

I've seen Toto many times over the years but his sound was different. It was still good and massive, but different and sounded more neck pickup than bridge even when he was using the latter.

I also attended a HRH AOR festival last year and quite a few guys were using them with others using Marshalls, 5150s, Blackstars, Rectifiers and one or two Helix users but the Kempers had the best sounds of the day.
  • Freebird said:
    Just got back from seeing Tremonti in Manchester and both the bassist and rhythm guitarists were using pure Kemper rigs, just the Kemper straight to the PA with the Kemper remote the only pedal on the floor. Sounded great. The rhythm guitarist does some lead parts and they sounded phenomenal. It’s nice when you see your amp on stage!
    Eric Friedman was using delays reverbs, and I’m pretty sure I spied a red light so maybe a boost too, and the bassist used some sort of flangerh, chorusey effect for the intro to a song. There were definitely effects used, it’s less straight up metal than you think, and for definitely the only pedal at their feet was the Kemper remote. There’s a DVD of the show coming out which should be cool. 

Mark Tremonti has gone on record, I’m pretty sure, to say how brilliant the Kemper sounds but that he’s just old school and prefers the feel and look of his amps on stage. I’m pretty sure he has a Kemper though, he instagrammed a backstage warmup not too long ago and tagged it with #Kemperamps 

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:
    Eric Friedman was using delays reverbs, and I’m pretty sure I spied a red light so maybe a boost too, and the bassist used some sort of flangerh, chorusey effect for the intro to a song. There were definitely effects used, it’s less straight up metal than you think, and for definitely the only pedal at their feet was the Kemper remote. There’s a DVD of the show coming out which should be cool. 

Mark Tremonti has gone on record, I’m pretty sure, to say how brilliant the Kemper sounds but that he’s just old school and prefers the feel and look of his amps on stage. I’m pretty sure he has a Kemper though, he instagrammed a backstage warmup not too long ago and tagged it with #Kemperamps 
    That is very cool!

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2397
    At least the Kemper would improve Tremonti's tone.

;) 
    See this Instagram video by @johnnymarrgram
  • FarleyUK said:

;) 
    Ha, what don't you like about it? I love it, think it's one of the most brutal and best sounding tones in hard rock. Clear, tight, crunchy...the lot.

FarleyUK said:

;) 
    The man from Tremonti, he says no!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:
    See this Instagram video by @johnnymarrgram
    Wow.

Johnny Fuckin Marr.

Enough said...
    FarleyUK said:

Ha, what don't you like about it? I love it, think it's one of the most brutal and best sounding tones in hard rock. Clear, tight, crunchy...the lot.
    Just very generic and dull IMO. Nothing about it stands out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Can you share some examples of tones you like, mate? Not looking for a fight but always love to put context to people's opinions. I really like his tone, so am curious to see :-) 

FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Can you share some examples of tones you like, mate? Not looking for a fight but always love to put context to people's opinions. I really like his tone, so am curious to see :-) 
    Sure thing - two off the top of my head....

- Slash on the Snakepit albums
    - Doug Aldrich with Burning Rain
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks fella, I'll check them out. I've never heard the Snakepit stuff.

• Free profiles from Tone Junkie

https://youtu.be/wASO6XH97Is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks fella, I'll check them out. I've never heard the Snakepit stuff.
    If anyone can get those times with the Kemper, PLEASE let me know how!
    Still no sign of the new firmware.... I'm going to assume February 2019.

Should we start a betting pool for when it's released?