The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    FarleyUK said:
    Still no sign of the new firmware.... I'm going to assume February 2019.

Should we start a betting pool for when it's released?
    I really wish they would put an announcement out, even it it says it is delayed.

(IMO), Kemper are the worst run company out of the big hitters for many things (cough editor, cough updates)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    FarleyUK said:

I really wish they would put an announcement out, even it it says it is delayed.

(IMO), Kemper are the worst run company out of the big hitters for many things (cough editor, cough updates)
    I agree that they should be more transparent. It's ridiculous in this great day and age of communication technology.

I still can't believe they're holding back a perfectly good release of reverbs in order to fix another, completely unrelated, issue. It's bonkers.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    FarleyUK said:

At this point, I can't see it being much before February for the proper release, given that there isn't even a beta version yet.

If the beta doesn't arrive soon, it might be later than that.  I am getting a bit impatient.

• crunchman said:
    FarleyUK said:

At this point, I can't see it being much before February for the proper release, given that there isn't even a beta version yet.

If the beta doesn't arrive soon, it might be later than that.  I am getting a bit impatient.

What's stopping you buying one now, mate?

crunchman said:
    FarleyUK said:

I've got one.  I just want the software update.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited December 2018
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:
    FarleyUK said:

Ah, ok, I must have misunderstood one of your earlier posts, apologies. Maybe you were holding off gigging it or something, I dunno, I'm all confused today!! ha.

crunchman said:
    crunchman said:
    FarleyUK said:

Ah, ok, I must have misunderstood one of your earlier posts, apologies. Maybe you were holding off gigging it or something, I dunno, I'm all confused today!! ha.

Yeah.  I'm holding off using it live at the moment.  I do like my Big Sky.  If I've got to take separate pedals, it kind of defeats the point of having an all in one box like the Kemper.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    joeyowen said:
    FarleyUK said:

I've been waiting for over a year for Fractal to fix their last FX8 update!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Unashamed plug - I have two DXR10'S for sale if anyone is near High Wycombe...!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited December 2018
    FarleyUK said:
    Unashamed plug - I have two DXR10'S for sale if anyone is near High Wycombe...!
    Ponders running them alongside my Atomic CLR .....stop it Ian you  fool
  • infernouk said:
    @infernouk you'll be fine with high gain and 5150 tones!

Kemper 2? Not that we know of, KPA 1 is still getting massive FW upgrades (granted, they take bloody ages to happen, but they do).

And yes, good price, that!
    sounds good! and yeah im hoping it has more shelf life, just its getting on a bit so i assume they may want ot get some more DSP power out for further features 
    I'll see your Kemper and raise you

;) ;) ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    Nice chap, nice amp ,nice Kemper...............awful din.......not music to me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, I like him and he is clearly a talented player but he succeeds in making both the 5150 and the Kemper sound truly painful in that video. Maybe it's to do with the way it was recorded.

Or possibly it's the guitar...I've always thought that Chappers guitars sound very harsh and kind of 'clanky' on videos. Never played one myself though so maybe I'm off the mark.
  • Slight derail, but Ive had a few of you ask about my home set up, and why it works for me. Well, here’s some thoughts...

Let me preface this by saying, imho, the whole modelling digital experience is more about the SPEAKERS than which modelling device you are using. Conquer this, and you are sorted !

I purchased some Genelec 8010s (the small uns) initially for use with my iMac. I had a break through moment when I coupled them with my Kemper... wow.

I then purchased the bigger 8020s, and here’s my point, I then bought the proper Genelec stands after actually reading the instructions! Crazy I know, but once I had the correct placement, my whole set up came to life.

Conversely, I had then placed the 8010s afloor level for those times when I sit and play. This 4 speaker set up works incredibly well with my Kemper...

I also have two sets of matching cabling. So, when I rehearse, I just unplugged the Kemper nad have a duplicate set in my bag for quick set up at the rehearsal room.

Now, 12 months ago I would have rejected the look of this set up; as compared to a lovely looking amp, it does look propa shit (maybe)... and now I dont even own an amp !!

(I still think a Matchless/Redplate/Divided By 13 amp would look nice under the Kemper !)

• Genelec's are brilliant, they've been a bit of a revelation for me too. Good choice!

There was a time when I thought about how things looked and the prestige of owning and looking at valve amps. I wouldn't be seen dead without one when I was younger. But for years I've struggled to achieve the tones in my head because I flip from one sound to another, or one guitar to another and valve amps rarely did that well for me and my very particular needs. Nowadays, I couldn't care less about what it looks like (I think owning a Fractal device for 12 months proves that! haha), if it sounds good and works for you - then it IS good and it doesn't matter whether it looks cool.

I'd much rather be remembered for creating some tunes than someone who had a really cool amp :-) (I hope one day I can actually make a tune! ha.)

I know it's not everyone's bag, but I went to see TesseracT in Bristol the other day and they had minimal on stage gear, but fuck me they sounded incredible! These days, it's become less about the entourage and more about the delivery. I think by their standards, U2 had a relatively modest setup on their latest tour compared to years gone by. Ginger Ed goes on with a looper and stickers on his little acoustic and captivates hundreds of thousands.

I've lost count the number of times I wanted my old Laney back, I bloody loved that amp, even though it's a relative minnow amongst the amps you lot have on TFB. BUT, the revelation I had when I heard a profile of that amp on the Kemper, absolutely blew my mind. It had all the ingredients there,everything I loved about that amp was in my Kemper and I've barely stopped playing it ever since. Same thing happened when I found the right Mesa profile, took me back 10 years when I had my Dual Rec! It's incredible. I'll never own a tube amp again, I really don't need it, I don't need to spend the money, and I genuinely don't see the benefit of one.

PS. @gearaddict...wrong thread, mate.

Sold both my DXR10s yesterday.... So I'm now amp and speaker-less!

Slightly scary but I know the Kemper sounds good through the PA so that means less stuff to lug about....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    Sold both my DXR10s yesterday.... So I'm now amp and speaker-less!

Slightly scary but I know the Kemper sounds good through the PA so that means less stuff to lug about....
    I did the same, for the same reasons back in the summer. Feels liberating doesn't it. Gave me a few hundred to put toward a new guitar which was way more rewarding.

• PS. @gearaddict...wrong thread, mate.
    I'm just stirring coz I'm jealous.
    FFS, where is this bloody Reverb update??!?!?

I see they just announced they (Kemper) will be at NAMM 2019.... so I have a feeling that the update will be around then :(

Incidentally, I tried the TopJimi AFD amp profiles - awesome stuff! Still think the Caswell modded JCM800 he has is the best profile I've heard though (especially the v30 one). Turn up the sag and tube bias, and it's killer!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3632

Here's my live rig

I use a two tier amp stand to hold the Kemper and an Alto TS210 powered cab.  My TC VoiceLive 2 is sitting on top.  The VoiceLive is hooked to the Kemper with MIDI, to select the patch, and DI to set the pitch.  I have one bank per song when playing live.  A lot of the songs use the same profiles but setting it up this way means that the floor controller displays the song name (no need for a paper set list) and it is easy to change the set order in the arrange page.  The Boss expression pedal is used to morph so I may set a rhythm sound toe up then toe down boosts say vol / mid, brings up the delay etc for lead.  Much easier to hit one big pedal on stage, especially if you are trying to do vocals at the same time.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom