The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Honestly, for a cost-effective FrFr solution, the Headrush 112 is superb. I actually prefer it to the DXR10's I used to run.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited March 2019
    When you run the kemper into a power amp or fx return of a tube amp into real cab i know you turn the cab off (i have mine set so the monitor out is allways cab off) but do you look for DI profiles instead whats the deal does it sound better like that? Ive found it sounds great though studio monitors direct but not the same through tube power amp but i am just using the same profile but turning cab off im guessing kemper has to guess what frequnecies the cab is in the profile & split it a depending what speaker the profile was profiled using maybe will make a difference to the actual cab sound edit: wouldnt this also be a power amp profile going into another power amp unless its a di profile?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    When you run the kemper into a power amp or fx return of a tube amp into real cab i know you turn the cab off (i have mine set so the monitor out is allways cab off) but do you look for DI profiles instead whats the deal does it sound better like that? Ive found it sounds great though studio monitors direct but not the same through tube power amp but i am just using the same profile but turning cab off im guessing kemper has to guess what frequnecies the cab is in the profile & split it a depending what speaker the profile was profiled using maybe will make a difference to the actual cab sound edit: wouldnt this also be a power amp profile going into another power amp unless its a di profile?

Id guess with the 'cab sim' turned off, you'd still be feeding the power amp emulation into another power amp. That's why people use flat response power amps.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Anyone tried the ritter amp camplifier with the toaster?  Have an unpowered Kemper and fancy hooking it up to my cab.
  • Does anyone have any experience with the Laney LFR-112? Looks like a good solution but is it just a PA speaker in a different housing or would it feel more like a guitar amp?

Laney LFR-112

Not going to lie, just the fact that my Kemper rack would sit on top and the whole thing would look more like a regular amp is appealing. I'm hoping to go to Gear4music soon with my Kemper and demo a few FRFR solutions to try and find the best
    So I tried the Laney LFR-112, Line6 Powercab and Headrush FRFR this weekend...

The Laney felt like an amp in the room, even in FRFR mode, but not necessarily a particularly great amp. The Line6 was probably the best of the 3 in FRFR mode - turning the cab off in the Kemper and using the speaker modes on the Line6 didn't really change the feel of it at all though, it still felt like an FRFR speaker with a bit of EQ on it.

I ruled the headrush out straight away but not because it was a bad speaker - for my use the 12" speaker at the volumes I was playing was too bass heavy. I wouldn't want to pole mount it so it was quite bassy. The 8" version coming out might be worth a shot though. It also had that digital sizzle which I could have probably dialled out on the Kemper had I wanted to. Probably the most flat of the 3.

The Laney and Line6 felt similar but the Laney sounded better. I nearly bought it but then I realised why - There was much more midrange which sounded pleasing to my ear. I really enjoyed the tone but then I realised it wasn't my tone. There was a lot of colouration which did work well with my Marshall profiles but ultimately changed my tone far beyond what was acceptable to me and defeated the point of the Kemper. It made a lot of my profiles sound similar. The Line6 was more neutral but felt a little sterile. Good piece of kit though; had my ears not been fooled by the Laney I probably would have bought it but with the 3 sounding so drastically different from one another I couldn't make a good judgement so I left empty handed (well I bought some other stuff)

I think I was expecting to be blown off my feet compared to my studio monitors because I thought I was after that 'guitar amp' feel but I think I prefer my monitors to all 3. As I say the Line6 is worth considering but at £540 I was expecting more. Think I'll wait to see what the Kemper Kabinet is like.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• @chrishill901 I cannot recommend a pair of Genelec 8010/8020's enough...they suit my needs at home perfectly. If that's your only need, of course.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I know they aren’t cheap but the Atomic CLR is an amazing bit of kit, there is even one on eBay at the mo, albeit an older model ;)
  • Also, I agree completely with your thoughts about the Line 6, in fact I disliked it a lot more than you did.

• @chrishill901 I cannot recommend a pair of Genelec 8010/8020's enough...they suit my needs at home perfectly. If that's your only need, of course.
    I do like the look of those but I have a set of Presonus Eris E5s that I kinda like - I was looking at the Line6 and Laney as a more amp-like solution that I could also jam - I'm not sure the Genelecs give me much more than I have now.

I think the Line6 was a decent full range speaker but didn't do what it sets out to do and give you an amp in the room feel. It's expensive what what it is given that the Alto TS312 and Headrush FRFR give you arguably better tone for less.

I might just save up, build an isolated soundproof room in my garage and just buy loads of valve amps instead... There has to be a YouTube tutorial for that

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    I might get some Kali LP6 monitors for the low end, but I'm waiting for somebody else to try them with a Kemper first. The pricing is quite attractive though @ just over £300 a pair for a SOS product of the year award winner.

https://skladmuzyczny.pl/media/products/74a1f312a8004a30410d603366ffcf09/images/thumbnail/big_Monitor-studyjny-Lone-Pine-LP-6W-Kali-Audio-2-.JPG
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • AndyJP said:
    Anyone tried the ritter amp camplifier with the toaster?  Have an unpowered Kemper and fancy hooking it up to my cab.
    I use the Camplifier 290, great bit if kit. I use it live to push 1 or 2 4x12's depending on stage size.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Must be pretty powerful to power 2 4x12s. Wow!

Howard Moon love the name btw. Jazz Fusionista!
    What settings are you all using for delay and the reverbs for solos...? Been playing around with things, and currently when I morph into solos I have:

- Gain increases by 1
    - X slot has Studio EQ that reduces hi and low by 1dB, volume increases by 2dB
    - Dual Delay set to around 50% mix, 40% feedback, 1/4 one side, 1/8 dot the other
    - Easy Reverb at 30%
    - Rig delay and reverb mix at 30%

• @FarleyUK I'd find 50% a bit overpowering personally, but use that a lot for rhythmic stuff.

That's for a stereo setup, BTW.
  • AndyJP said:
    Must be pretty powerful to power 2 4x12s. Wow!

Howard Moon love the name btw. Jazz Fusionista!
    It holds its own next to my mates jcm 800 and he plays at stadium volume. It's lighter than an angels fart as well so I can get the kemper in a peli in overhead baggage on a plane for fly gigs. 
    Small eyes like a crab and love the Jazz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited April 2019
    [Deleted post - quote went all messed up on mobile, couldn’t fix it, gave up!]
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Erm...
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited April 2019
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    On another tack, why haven't Kemper bothered to put a "delete preset" on the unit itself, such an easy way to tidy up the mess of an excuse for a file system