The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    It's a goodbye Kemper peeps.
    I am heading home to pedal land after a six month daliance with the Toaster.
    FS thread here...may take a while as the new floor kid has arrived in the scene.
    Thanks for all the support I have found on this thread.
    Jon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    JonHosker said:
    FS thread here...may take a while as the new floor kid has arrived in the scene.
    Jon
    I sold mine and went back to Amp and pedals, great unit though the Kemper is, the lack of support with the editor and almost wilfully awkward setup made it a no brained tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    JonHosker said:
    Jon
    I sold mine and went back to Amp and pedals, great unit though the Kemper is, the lack of support with the editor and almost wilfully awkward setup made it a no brained tbh.
    Aww man this is sad to hear! I don't get the awkward setup... do you mean physically setting it up at a gig? I'm loving setting mine up. Rack head goes on top of Laney LFR112 as if it were a real amp head, main out to the LFR, guitar to Kemper and remote to Kemper... its one less cable than using a pedalboard in the loop and the remote doesn't require power! I found the setup easier than using my old valve amps, and I know I get the same great sound every time.

I find the panel quite intuitive, I have no issues dialling in sounds without an editor. I'd want an editor if I had the Stage as I don't like to edit stuff on the floor

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2394
    sweepy said:
    JonHosker said:
    Jon
    Aww man this is sad to hear! I don't get the awkward setup... do you mean physically setting it up at a gig? I'm loving setting mine up. Rack head goes on top of Laney LFR112 as if it were a real amp head, main out to the LFR, guitar to Kemper and remote to Kemper... its one less cable than using a pedalboard in the loop and the remote doesn't require power! I found the setup easier than using my old valve amps, and I know I get the same great sound every time.

I find the panel quite intuitive, I have no issues dialling in sounds without an editor. I'd want an editor if I had the Stage as I don't like to edit stuff on the floor
    Have to agree - very simple to setup my toaster, with the head going on one of the RedSound speakers so it away from the baying mobs, and then the cable to remote, and talkbox has a TS cable fed to it from the Monitor Out. Dual XLR outs to both RedSOund speakers, and the TRS outputs form the Main Out go into the desk for IEMs.
  • I too let my Kemper go, but gotta say, setup and ease of use wasn't a factor. Tonally, I've got everything I need now. I miss the Kemper occasionally, but only because the delay and reverb were exactly the way I needed them to be and I've yet to find as efficient a workthrough as I did with Kemper effects. Still love keeping tabs on this thread though as it's good to hear people still loving theirs, it's an awesome piece of kit!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FarleyUK said:
    Have to agree - very simple to setup my toaster, with the head going on one of the RedSound speakers so it away from the baying mobs, and then the cable to remote, and talkbox has a TS cable fed to it from the Monitor Out. Dual XLR outs to both RedSOund speakers, and the TRS outputs form the Main Out go into the desk for IEMs.
    You can use a talkbox with the Kemper!??? I need in on this..

I too let my Kemper go, but gotta say, setup and ease of use wasn't a factor. Tonally, I've got everything I need now. I miss the Kemper occasionally, but only because the delay and reverb were exactly the way I needed them to be and I've yet to find as efficient a workthrough as I did with Kemper effects. Still love keeping tabs on this thread though as it's good to hear people still loving theirs, it's an awesome piece of kit!
    I'm sure it is documented somewhere already but what are you using now? You experiences with the Kemper in this thread helped me decide to take the plunge!

FarleyUK said:

Absolutely.

Several ways you can do it, depending on what you need:

1. If you want the talkbox to work as a 'normal' talkbox (i.e. stomp it on, it just has the TB signal) - you can have it in the input chain, the output chain, or the FX loop.

OR:

2. The way I have it (as I'm the only guitarist, so need the guitar sound as well as the talkbox, to help fill the sound out a bit), have a cable from monitor Out going to the input on the talkbox. Set the monitor out to be whatever you need (i.e. stack, amp, etc.), and away you go. You'll still get the main outs from the Kemper as well.

3. XLR outs to your speakers of choice, and the TRS out (mono) to the talkbox

etc.
  • @FarleyUK do you feed the TRS out from the talkbox back into the Kemper or does that go to the PA? (Never used one before!)

• FarleyUK said:

I too let my Kemper go, but gotta say, setup and ease of use wasn't a factor. Tonally, I've got everything I need now. I miss the Kemper occasionally, but only because the delay and reverb were exactly the way I needed them to be and I've yet to find as efficient a workthrough as I did with Kemper effects. Still love keeping tabs on this thread though as it's good to hear people still loving theirs, it's an awesome piece of kit!
    I'm sure it is documented somewhere already but what are you using now? You experiences with the Kemper in this thread helped me decide to take the plunge!
    You're not the first to say that, now I feel guilty for causing so much spending. Ha. As long as it worked out for you guys, that's all that matters to me, otherwise I'd be gutted. Looks like you and @FarleyUK have benefited from the switch!

The Dual Rec has literally haunted me since I went digital and I had unfinished business with it as I didn't give it a fair chance when I first auditioned it with a Suhr Reactive Load and IRs through a Two Notes Torpedo CAB M, which is absolutely awesome.

The Axe FX and Kemper taught me a lot about dialling this stuff in and finding the right IRs etc. So felt that now was a good time to go back to amps and try my favourites with a Reactive Load. I did a it's as awesome as you'd expect. I managed to get 3 amps by selling my Kemper...a Dual Rec, Laney Lionheart (beautiful cleans and Gilmour-ish pedal platform) and a studio Plexi, Marshall SV20H. So, feeling lucky to have all that and some nice pedals now. 

• FarleyUK said:

You're not the first to say that, now I feel guilty for causing so much spending. Ha. As long as it worked out for you guys, that's all that matters to me, otherwise I'd be gutted. Looks like you and @FarleyUK have benefited from the switch!

The Dual Rec has literally haunted me since I went digital and I had unfinished business with it as I didn't give it a fair chance when I first auditioned it with a Suhr Reactive Load and IRs through a Two Notes Torpedo CAB M, which is absolutely awesome.

The Axe FX and Kemper taught me a lot about dialling this stuff in and finding the right IRs etc. So felt that now was a good time to go back to amps and try my favourites with a Reactive Load. I did a it's as awesome as you'd expect. I managed to get 3 amps by selling my Kemper...a Dual Rec, Laney Lionheart (beautiful cleans and Gilmour-ish pedal platform) and a studio Plexi, Marshall SV20H. So, feeling lucky to have all that and some nice pedals now. 
    Haha no need to feel guilty, buying a Kemper is one of the best things I ever did. I had given up on digital actually because of IRs. Everything I tried I couldn’t find the right IRs for and there are so many different mic types and distances. What I love about the Kemper is buying a pack, flicking through the profiles in the pack to find the one that makes me smile and then just making minor tweaks to suit my setup and I’m good to go. It gives me access to studio quality sounds without having to have the studio knowledge on how to dial stuff in and what mic types and speaker types work for what etc. Somebody else does that work for me with the Kemper...

but of course I could go in depth that much myself should I choose to in the future and I like that too. It’s as simple or as complex as I want to make it and always sounds good regardless.

I’m really glad those amps are working out for you! A Dual Rec has been on my wish list for a while but I’ve got some good profiles so I’m satisfied!

@FarleyUK do you feed the TRS out from the talkbox back into the Kemper or does that go to the PA? (Never used one before!)
    Like I mentioned, it depends what you want to do. You can do that, but it would then either be in the FX loop OR in the front signal chain before the Kemper.

I just have the Monitor Out feeding the INPUT of the Talkbox, with no return to the Kemper - that way I get both guitar and talkbox.
    Having played around with the public OS 7 beta, I'm going back to the latest stable release. It's pretty shoddy, IMO.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I must say, when find come available I will buy a Stage... looks perfect to me 
    I agree 100% with this.

cbellanga said:
    Just had a full afternoon blast with the K. Stage.
    Messed around with my QSC K8.2 settings and managed to get a pretty accurate sound out of it compared to my studio monitors. If it sounds as good as that at full volume with the band I'll be extremely happy.

Been using the Two Stone Bloom from Tone Junkie with my strat and it is very, very close to their sample video here (around 2:06):

The form factor without the editor is a bit of a pain of course but the interface was easy enough to get my head around with no time. Guess I can remove the display's plastic protector now
    I think you’re the first to land one of the Stages ! I must admit, I’ve succumbed and just ordered one direct from Kemper... :)

0% credit card and all that.
  • Nice! How come you wanted one, mate?

Nice! How come you wanted one, mate?
    Well, live and with the band, Im sorted... The Carr Mercury V is perfect.

Home use - I like a good looper, with reverse, and miss the Kemper for this aspect. So, Ive been using the excellent HX Stomp - with a couple of pedals in the loop. But, to use the HX Stomp loop correctly I need the Morningstar MC6... AND a buffer (in the Boss TU3w). So, roughly about £600 sitting there...

Sell those, and Im someway to landing the Stage - ideal for home use, and as a back up for the live rig.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Nice! How come you wanted one, mate?
    Well, live and with the band, Im sorted... The Carr Mercury V is perfect.

Home use - I like a good looper, with reverse, and miss the Kemper for this aspect. So, Ive been using the excellent HX Stomp - with a couple of pedals in the loop. But, to use the HX Stomp loop correctly I need the Morningstar MC6... AND a buffer (in the Boss TU3w). So, roughly about £600 sitting there...

Sell those, and Im someway to landing the Stage - ideal for home use, and as a back up for the live rig.
    Welcome back  =)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10204
    edited August 2019
    My Kemper Stage had a fault. Kemper support has been a bit hostile at times. Not that impressed.

Sent it back to Guitar Guitar today so hoping for it back ASAP but won’t hold my breath. They took a week to look at a broken zip last time. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My Kemper Stage had a fault. Kemper support has been a bit hostile at times. Not that impressed.

Sent it back to Guitar Guitar today so hoping for it back ASAP but won’t hold my breath. They took a week to look at a broken zip last time. 
    Have you posted on the official forums about it?