The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Kemper teasing something for Summer 2022 and telling us to "stay tuned"...nothing worse!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Lots of folk seem to think it's just a Kemper store in Chicago, a new base in the US.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • BGG said:
    Lots of folk seem to think it's just a Kemper store in Chicago, a new base in the US.

So I see. Absolutely shockingly boring tease from the kings of passivity.

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    BGG said:

Certainly not worth the hype is that’s what it is. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • BGG said:
    BGG said:

Certainly not worth the hype is that’s what it is. 

Completely agree. I was hoping for firmware updates, cool stuff...not stuff the otherside of the world that I'll never see or care about...but I'll "stay tuned"! FFS!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some new updates on the way according to Tone Junkie's latest video. Waiting for Kemper updates is like pulling teeth, but I'm intrigued, must admit.

What do we think?

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3467
    edited May 2023
    Liquid profiling 
    https://youtu.be/qMaxF-VzCQI

also USB audio, android support, profiling through rig manager, Kemper Marketplace

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 397
    Wow, some seriously major improvements coming.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    The gift that keeps on giving.. kudos to Kemper. Looking forward to seeing what Liquid Profiling can do..
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3467
    edited June 2023
    I think the price of Kemper's has gone down, if I'm not mistaken. Just priced one up on the Kemper website and it's coming out at £1,033 inc shipping and a free T-shirt. I don't know if you pay import duties/VAT on that, but it seems like a good price to me!

Reason I looked is that today's social media update is a bunch of RM changes AND a "price update" (price decrease). 

Positive news all around, for those who want one. (Not so much for those who have one and might want to offload it!).

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited July 2023
    Been experiencing a worrying problem for the past month and a bit, upon powering the Profiler on, I get either a weak signal or no sound at all, and have to end up powering down and shutting down and rebooting everything else (interface/laptop etc) which usually fixes it. After the first couple of times it started to get more frequent, now its happened twice in a week.

I've checked the connections are all ok which they are, usually this happens during lessons so I'm under time pressure to get everything back up and running so maybe I miss something. I changed guitar cable and it was working ok, but I switched back to the original one I had been using when this has happened and its still working.

I usually go main out via XLR into my audio interface (Focusrite 8i6).

Will continue to use a different cable for a week and see if that's the culprit. If it does it again then I know for sure its not the cable that's the issue. I fear it may be power amp failure.

Anyone else had this happen before? Really hope I don't have to ship it to Germany for repair.
    Right, so I managed to talk to Kemper support earlier. As I use the Kemper mainly as a direct out into my interface and out active powered monitors the power amp doesn't come into use so that rules out the possibility of a failure.

I've since updated the OS to the newest version, 9.0.5, and had a quick play out the headphone port and all sounds fine so far. Will see later on during a few lessons how it plays. Hopefully its solved the issue but can't help think its something else.

Also, I think I must have asked this a thousand times but am I meant to be using an xlr connection from the back into either my interface or mixer? Both have line inputs so using an xlr cable might confuse it thinking its a microphone signal, creating a mismatch? Should I change to a guitar cable (or two) and run those into the line in?

Sometimes I teach online so I mainly do all my inputs into a Yamaha MG10 then send the stereo output mix via xlr into the front 2 ports into my Focusrite 8i6. Again, a mismatch? Its worked for 2 years though.
  • Right, so I managed to talk to Kemper support earlier. As I use the Kemper mainly as a direct out into my interface and out active powered monitors the power amp doesn't come into use so that rules out the possibility of a failure.

I've since updated the OS to the newest version, 9.0.5, and had a quick play out the headphone port and all sounds fine so far. Will see later on during a few lessons how it plays. Hopefully its solved the issue but can't help think its something else.

Also, I think I must have asked this a thousand times but am I meant to be using an xlr connection from the back into either my interface or mixer? Both have line inputs so using an xlr cable might confuse it thinking its a microphone signal, creating a mismatch? Should I change to a guitar cable (or two) and run those into the line in?

Sometimes I teach online so I mainly do all my inputs into a Yamaha MG10 then send the stereo output mix via xlr into the front 2 ports into my Focusrite 8i6. Again, a mismatch? Its worked for 2 years though.
    Might you negate the issue entirely (or possibly cause more agro) by switching to USB into your computer? Freeing up a few inputs on your interface for other things. Or even SPDIF if you interface has optical or SPDIF in?

Oh yeah the new update has USB out now for recording doesn't it? Having said that I've only got 2 free ports, one for my webcam and one for the interface. For online lessons SPDIF won't work as Windows will only detect the front 2 analogue ports.
  • Oh yeah the new update has USB out now for recording doesn't it? Having said that I've only got 2 free ports, one for my webcam and one for the interface. For online lessons SPDIF won't work as Windows will only detect the front 2 analogue ports.
    You can buy powered USB hubs (don't get a passive one).

I could, but the other issue is the audio input is all routed from the interface, so if the Kemper is going straight into the computer it won't be picked up on the platform. Only what's put into the front 2 analogue ports.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6139
    (Just subscribing to the thread, as I am going to have a second go with the Kemper. There's one on its way. First time round I was rather underwhelmed, but I feel I didn't give it a chance, and I see that there have been a lot of updates. Fingers crossed.)
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    goldtop said:
    (Just subscribing to the thread, as I am going to have a second go with the Kemper. There's one on its way. First time round I was rather underwhelmed, but I feel I didn't give it a chance, and I see that there have been a lot of updates. Fingers crossed.)
    In the same boat here @goldtop - just bought my second Kemper! Although I liked my first one, I just convinced myself that a real amp would be better and 3 years later I've come full circle and back to the Kemper.

Are there many fretboarders still using a Kemper? Are there any new players in the profile game worth checking out? I loved the Top Jimi stuff the best the first time round...

I'm excited about liquid profiling - I'm hoping to get some life out of profiles I didn't quite like by being able to apply a more accurate tone profile (for want of a better word) that will hopefully give enough flexibility to tweak profiles in a way that was previously not possible or too inaccurate. Hoping I haven't completely misunderstood liquid profiling here like...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    I’m still gigging my stage and loving it. 
    Used the newly updated Profiler earlier, no issues. Changed the main output volume to -12db as when I was using xlr it was on -45db!! But I had to use a fair bit of pre amp gain on my interface which I shouldn't really need. Also used the -12db 'pad' function thing on the Kemper to stop the signal being too hot even with TS cables. Seemed to work ok.

So I think from now on I'll use XLR's into the interface if teaching in the room and then TS cables into the mixer if teaching online. Unless I get a XLR to TS cable?