51 P Bass Semi-acoustic: The Bass Fender Forgot to Make

What's Hot
I’m a P bass man. I love the feel, the sound and the look. I’m also fascinated by the original 51/52 P basses where it all started.

It’s a bit like the Telecaster - Fender started there and then produced numerous variants. But unlike the Tele, they never did a Thinline. 

What’s the point, you may ask? Well - a semi hollow bass has a distinct character all of it’s own - my ibanez semi hollow sounds really thumpy and deep but also acoustic in tone as well. I really fancied a P that did this.

But Fender never made one. Not properly. So a quick @GSPBASSES conversation later and we were off.

I have had the body & neck for a while and it’s floated to the top of the projects pile now - I’ve gathered all the bits and so it’s time to build!

Here it is when it arrived:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I wanted to stay natural with the finish and not hide that grain, and I also fancied a tint, and after a bit of thinking and research I found a nice Danish Oil with an amber tint to it. Hardware will be black, so should go well together. 

Neck will be a good old Tru Oil finish. 

First coat of Danish:

After some soaking and extra coats, round one was complete:

Quick trial fit of the bridge just to see:

Left it overnight to dry ready for round two. Several daubings later and we have a second coat:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neck has had two coats of Tru Oil - will need a few more yet, and a slurry sanding, but it’s getting there:

Whilst on the fretboard stand at the guitar show, I got talking to our neighbours Grainger Guitars. 

This bass has had a real danger of ending up neck heavy, so it’s a cut down headstock, and I’ve ordered Hipshot ultralites. My third remedy was going to be a heavy bridge - Grainger showed me one they had at the show and I bought it - it’s a monster! Will be perfect for the job.

It’s really well made and superb fit and finish - highly recommended!

I’m also recycling a few bits - my ACG Finn upgrade released the old harness as a spare - so I’m using it in this one. I have a set of matching knobs from Grainger Guitars as well to go on the pots:

• martmart Frets: 5205
    That body is looking stunning! And the whole concept is pretty cool - it is a wonder that Fender hasn’t done something like this itself.
    mart said:
    That body is looking stunning! And the whole concept is pretty cool - it is a wonder that Fender hasn’t done something like this itself.
    Thanks!

I’ve never understood why they didn’t do a decent Thinline bass - they’ve skirted around it but not properly. I find the hollow bass sound to be really usable as well. 

Oh well, their loss ;)
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Thanks....this is THE bass project I want to copy / following the build with interest.
    Jon
    JonHosker said:
    Thanks....this is THE bass project I want to copy / following the build with interest.
    Jon
    If you need help and or ideas when it comes to yours then just let me know - I’ve done quite a lot of research for this one ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Looking fab !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Neck has had two coats of Tru Oil - will need a few more yet, and a slurry sanding, but it’s getting there:
    are you doing the wetsand on the body too?  it works quite well on Danish oil
    WezV said:
    are you doing the wetsand on the body too?  it works quite well on Danish oil
    Yes, I’ve built up a finish and I’m going to wet sand the next coat on. 

This is coat 3 and after a bit of drying I’m going to wet sand...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is a spectacular build! Love that bridge too. 
    It’s drying quick in this weather!! 

I’ve done a first pass wet and dry slurry sand at 600 and 1200 grit.. you can see the sheen on it now...

This is a spectacular build! Love that bridge too. 
    Thanks! I really do recommend Grainger Guitars - brilliant kit and well made (all in the U.K.!!)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Just make sure you soak your rags in water after, especially in this weather 
    WezV said:
    Just make sure you soak your rags in water after, especially in this weather 
    Noted.