The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    soma1975 said:
    The Sigma Arts are fantastic. I've used the 18-35 alongside £15,000 cinema Leicas and it cut beautifully. The 50-100 breathes very heavily but that's not really a problem for stills. The 24mm 1.4 is super sharp for a wide and the 85mm has a lovely rendition. 

All in all they might be a bit too clean and sharp and 'characterless' for some tastes but I'd take them in a heartbeat over any Canon L glass and most modern glass outside Zeiss Otus.
    Sigma Art glass are very clean, or stale, whatever you want to call it.  They generally chart very well in all the lab tests and to be honest, 99% of people will not be able to tell the difference so they offer great value for money.  I have a couple of them and my next one is going to be the 105/1.4.

I chose the Sigma 50A instead of the Canon 50/1.2 but I don't think I would swap the 85/1.2 for the Sigma 85/1.4Art mostly because the Sigma is about twice the length.

My bag is heavy enough already.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited July 2018
    The CA on the 85 1.2 is a bit much for me in a contemporary lens. 

Although that said I'm usually more often than not playing around with old Contax Zeiss or Leica R glass and embracing all the quirks. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited July 2018
    soma1975 said:

Although that said I'm usually more often than not playing around with old Contax Zeiss or Leica R glass and embracing all the quirks. 

EDIT: Sorry, you said 50, not 85..
    The CA on the 85L is terrible when you really catch it...like really bad but I’ve taken some of my favourite photos with it so I will always have a soft spot for it.  I’m looking for the more modern design 85/1.4, depending what Canon brings out in Photokina, I might go Sony GM or the Sigma 85 on the e-mount.

ps my favourite 50mm is the Zeiss 50/1.4 Distagon. 
  • Modern Sigma lenses are good in general and often best value but you need to take them all on a case by case basis.
    big wis for the mighty Lin. 

same with Tamron, I remember having a Tamron 17-50 2.8 highly regarded upgrade to kit lens and it was really impressive so much so my friend purchased the same and it was very soft compared.

I think there is a degree of that with all lenses, I've found the sigma arts are much more consistent than other off brand lenses though.

I had a nikon 70-300 which was seriously bad - I thought it was a bad lens, but I tried a colleagues which was much sharper  Lord knows why - but small adjustments make a big difference I suppose.
    soma1975 said:

The CA on the 85L is terrible when you really catch it...like really bad but I’ve taken some of my favourite photos with it so I will always have a soft spot for it.  I’m looking for the more modern design 85/1.4, depending what Canon brings out in Photokina, I might go Sony GM or the Sigma 85 on the e-mount.

If money is no object the Otus 85 is the best stills lens I've ever shot on. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Being manual focus would be a difficult hurdle for me to overcome.
  • soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Being manual focus would be a difficult hurdle for me to overcome.

Especially when the sigma 85 art and Canon 1.2 are so damn good. . 

Just avoid heavy contrast around your subject and you'll avoid the CA - although actually I don't have a particular objection to CA if printing - I find it's worse on screen than off and that Canon is a sweet lens  
    The problem is I love shooting into the light so heavy contrast is a given, and had this been a 85/1.2, the hair, the side of his nose, the shirt would be CA crazy.

• The problem is I love shooting into the light so heavy contrast is a given, and had this been a 85/1.2, the hair, the side of his nose, the shirt would be CA crazy.

Yes, it would. Fine with the green in the background, but the white shirt would look pretty weird, especially that bright bit. 

Still, legendary portrait lens  That's a lovely shot BTW - you have an exceptional eye. 
    Fair enough. I'm manual focus through and through. Don't really think about it.

soma1975 said:
    Fair enough. I'm manual focus through and through. Don't really think about it.
    What body do you shoot?

With the current Sony bodies the AF is ridiculous, honestly I'd never thought this tech would come this fast, this soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Most recently the trajectory has been, Canon 60D, Canon 6D, Sony A7s, Sony A7smkII, Fuji XT100, Lumix GH5 and I recently sold that and will grab a Sony A73 soon. And I've owned various digital cinema cameras at the same time. 

Tried everything but for a vintage lens lover the Sonys are king in my opinion. 

soma1975 said:
    Most recently the trajectory has been, Canon 60D, Canon 6D, Sony A7s, Sony A7smkII, Fuji XT100, Lumix GH5 and I recently sold that and will grab a Sony A73 soon. And I've owned various digital cinema cameras at the same time. 

The A73 is amazing, makes my 5D4 feels a little old tech.
    Yeah last few 5D iterations have really been generations behind. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Wow @soma1975 your reel is awesome, I'd be too embarrassed to post any of my work after that ! I've come into my digital marketing job from a news TV background so I'm used to just lighting things to look clean and even rather than nice and cinematic! Making progress though but still a long way to go. I have some photography I'm pretty happy with but can't post it as I don't own the rights to any of it !
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Given the amount of time I've been doing it, my photography, much like my guitar playing, should be better than it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unorthodoxic/

It's an eclectic mix from puppies and parkour to muscly women and burnt out cars in the local woodland.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:

Completely with you there, the easy of adaption to Sony Mirrorless is mind blowing.

I don’t own any AF lenses anymore, just Cine primes and vintage stuff. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

TTBZ said:
    Wow @soma1975 your reel is awesome, I'd be too embarrassed to post any of my work after that ! I've come into my digital marketing job from a news TV background so I'm used to just lighting things to look clean and even rather than nice and cinematic! Making progress though but still a long way to go. I have some photography I'm pretty happy with but can't post it as I don't own the rights to any of it !
    Very kind mate but to be honest 95% of my bill paying work never gets to look pretty like that. There’s absolutely a time and a place for clean and composed and it’s a very singular skill set. 

RiftAmps said:
    soma1975 said:

Completely with you there, the easy of adaption to Sony Mirrorless is mind blowing.

Ooh what Cine primes are you shooting with?

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:

RiftAmps said:
    soma1975 said:

Ooh what Cine primes are you shooting with?
    SLR Magic 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm - I did the whole Canon/XEEN/Samyang/Zeiss thing but for absolute bang-for-buck the SLR Magic stuff is incredible so ended up there. I'll upgrade slowly to their new Microprime range once they hit the shops.

I actually use the Cine primes mostly for stills, such a great look

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom