What has had the biggest positive impact on your playing?

What's Hot
What is the one thing which has improved your playing the most?

Could be a book, a certain technique, a method of practising, a moment of insight...

Ideally something the rest of us can steal benefit from!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Perseverance - in practise, and even more so in listening.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Playing with other people. 

Having to go to rehearsal or a gig really focuses the mind that you better know it or you are going to look silly and you learn so much from other people. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    For me, it was the double advent of getting to grips with garageband and getting the Yamaha THR10. I can honestly say that I am playing more now than in years.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    I actually got back into the guitar while taking some singing lessons a while ago, and doing the two things parallel kind of meant that they fed into each other and kept me going during those first couple of years, when you can easily give it away. These days I no longer really sing, but I'm still playing the guitar, with no plans to stop.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    Gigging ... I wanted to entertain people ... so I soon sussed that the only way to do that was to play okay. Never been comfortable playing with myself ... er ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Playing with other people. 

Having to go to rehearsal or a gig really focuses the mind that you better know it or you are going to look silly and you learn so much from other people. 
    This, in spades.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Gigging.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Certainly playing with other people. I had lessons when I first started (from prog rock legend Kerry Minear of Gentle Giant fame). That got me started, but playing with others really makes you up your game
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Stubbornness.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I came across an unusual warm up in a book years ago(can't recall, may have been called "The Guitarists Hands").  Take two full size pages of a newspaper and lay them out flat on the floor in front of you.  Pick each one up in each hand by grabbing them in the center, then using only the fingers and thumb of each hand individually pull each piece into a ball as small as you can make it without using the other hand.  I did this once everyday for a couple of years and it strengthened both hands.  I was in the throes of getting my fingerstyle technique down and my right hand was weak until I started doing this.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think the first leap forward was buying a little Seiko tuner from Argos.

The second was  starting a band then writing songs, doing some gigs and recording. Each of those made me concentrate harder and practice more.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    JookyChap said:
    I think the first leap forward was buying a little Seiko tuner from Argos.

sounds daft doesn't it, but i would say the same.

I was practising without a proper tuner for the first few months as I was told pitchpipes would be better in the long run.   I was incredibly shit at it, then i got a tuner and realised some of the stuff i had been learning started to sound pretty good once it was actually in tune.   once i got used to playing an in tune guitar i quickly learned how to tune it by ear

• Using a digital tuner for pitch ear training is awesome. Nice tutorial here.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Bought Guitar Techniques magazine in 1994 and practiced everything in it, using a metronome on its lowest speed setting then moving it one notch faster each day for two months. One month in, started over with the next issue. . .
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Definitely playing with others. 

I played for myself for the first 15 or so years and my timing was awful.  I've been playing with a drummer, bass player and another guitarist regularly for a couple of years now and I'd say my rhythm playing is pretty tight now.

Still can do a solo worth a damn but I'm working on it.
  • The realisation that techniques that I was doing were similar to what some of my heroes were doing.

After that, doing RGT grades cleaned up a lot of my laziness.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Girls.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Gigging.  Because getting paid for meant it had to be a lot better.

Not that I'm "good" cos I'm not, but I figure I must be "good enough" to other people to seem like I can play -- if that makes sense.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Definitely gigging and being in a band and having proper rehearsals where everyone concentrates on the little things that move a band from "good" to "super tight and really fucking great"- matching diction and timing on harmonies, hitting cues, slow-downs, etc all at once every time. That sort of thing.

But also I'd say getting the Jamup app on my phone. It's a really good modeller full stop, plus it does tempo- and pitch-change and section-looping on mp3s that are already on my phone, which makes it super-powerful for learning new stuff. It's been a genuine game-changer in terms of *how* I practise.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Getting lessons I was bumbling through, with no real direction.

Now I bumble through, with no real direction, but have a vague idea of what I'm doing.

Also having backing tracks to play along with helps. And the "Lick Library" series of DVD's, for learning specific parts. Because of the LL DVD's, I managed (just, with a lot of help from BigJon and Viz) to get through All Along the watchtower, in front of people.

Yes, @Bigjon, and @Viz, All Along was the first time I'd been brave/stupid enough to try that (and Hey Joe) in front of an audience......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)