Rate my band

What's Hot
RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
Okay, I've ummed and ahhed over this but I've decided we need some honest feedback so I'd appreciate any comments positive or otherwise (please keep it constructive though!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Ok, honest feedback. Hard to make this constructive but the singing on both songs is absolutely terrible. The songs could be ok but whoever is singing them just isn't doing them justice at all.

Sorry!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    This was recorded on a phone in the corner of a rehearsal room I take it?  Sounds like the sort of sketch memos I take.

I don't think the singer is as bad as Hattigol made out, however you are doing the songs in the wrong key for him. Seems no worse that most pub bands I've seen when he's in comfortable range but he's getting pushed out of that range too often.

Drummer could be more energetic, it's solid and functional but lacks a little energy ... this could be the recording.

Bass wanders a bit and could use some tightening, and some dodgy notes in Long Train.

Guitars, hard to tell as a lot has been killed by the room so it sounds very flat.  The riff to Long Train wasn't right though, and it's such a recognisable song it stuck out to me immediately.

I am being brutally honest though.  I've seen (and unfortunately been in) bands a lot worse that have gone down well with a crowd a few pints in.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    What kind of feedback are you looking for @RedRabbit ? It sounds like fairly early days to me. What are your own views of the tracks?
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Cheers for the detailed feedback @Bezzer - you are pretty much spot on with the way it was recorded though it was one of those handheld recorder/dictaphone style devices. The long train running riff is my error which I have since corrected (hopefully!). 

To be honest, the vocals were my biggest concern. Getting feedback from him over keys is difficult. Not sure he has much idea of his own range and if we suggest that he's struggling to hit notes he tends to dismiss it as not being warmed up etc etc. Think we need to have a chat with him, try different keys for a few songs and see what happens. He's been with us a while and the idea of a dedicated singer (current guy plays guitar as well) has been floated before so hopefully his ego won't get in the way.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    @RedRabbit I really didn't know whether to write my earlier post. There's an old phrase that 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' - part of me wishes I hadn't. But equally, I'm glad you're not in the dark about the vocalist's limitations. It might be a key thing - hard to know.

Sorry if it came across as harsh. Hope you get the band how you want it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Hattigol said:
    @RedRabbit I really didn't know whether to write my earlier post. There's an old phrase that 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' - part of me wishes I hadn't. But equally, I'm glad you're not in the dark about the vocalist's limitations. It might be a key thing - hard to know.

Sorry if it came across as harsh. Hope you get the band how you want it.
    Don't worry about it.  It was perhaps a bit blunt but it only confirmed doubts I already had. 

If I'm completely honest, the vocals are the reason I've been wary of putting anything online. However, venues are wanting demos so I thought the best bet was to use this place as a test as friends and family can't really be trusted for honest feedback.  I'd rather have blunt honesty than sugar coated niceties. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    RedRabbit said:
    To be honest, the vocals were my biggest concern. Getting feedback from him over keys is difficult. Not sure he has much idea of his own range and if we suggest that he's struggling to hit notes he tends to dismiss it as not being warmed up etc etc. Think we need to have a chat with him, try different keys for a few songs and see what happens. He's been with us a while and the idea of a dedicated singer (current guy plays guitar as well) has been floated before so hopefully his ego won't get in the way.
    Sounds like you've got a handle on it all, and glad you took my comments in the spirit they were meant.

It's tricky with singers ... I know, I am one and we're a bunch of divas!! ha ha ... key I am ridiculously aware of though.  It seems to be in the approach from my experience.  A tactic I've used before is not "you're missing the notes" and more "you seem to be on the edge of what's comfortable, I worry you'd lose your voice, maybe if we back off a tone that'll help"

You know him best though.  Good luck with it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To be honest I seriously wouldn't put those recordings online as it'll do more harm than good.

Drums are pretty bad, as well as the vocals. Long Train Running was much worse than the other track, especially as the intro sounded wrong.

Drummer doesn't sound like a natural drummer to me, there's not really any groove if you know what I mean.

If you want some recordings to get gigs definitely worth paying a few hundred to get a couple done in the studio, even if it's just to iron out some of the particularly ropey bits.

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    RedRabbit said:
     ...if we suggest that he's struggling to hit notes he tends to dismiss it as not being warmed up etc etc.
    So if he believes that his performance is suffering because he's not warmed up - why isn't he warming up?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom