The Preamp DI Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    BTW @vale the Sunn Preamp sounds fascinating.. most interested to hear about it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I use the Zoom B3 and it's DI Out occasionally for rehearsals but it's my back up for my bass rig. Apart from bass models and speakers, there are also some decent preamps.

The only thing I intend to add is an EBS Octabass or Pearl Octaver as the one in the unit is pants.

Good, decent-sounding and cheap unit to have in your gig bag or at home
  • I've owned:

Hartke VXL Bass Attack

DHA Bass-DI-EQ or whatever its called

Sansamp Bass Driver

Catalinbread SFT (well, a clone thereof)

A bog-standard behringer DI box

Zoom B3

The Zoom B3 was good but I literally only used the DI and amp sim on it, so I sold it to buy something smaller / more fun.

The DHA sounded great for those valve tones. I ditched it because I got fed up of sound guys assuming it was a homebrew thing that was going to fry their PA. I think DHA is now doing them with "proper" graphics which is about time really.

The Bass Attack was pretty decent, I liked the clean tones but didn't rate the dirt.

The Sansamp was pretty decent but the lack of mids control really pissed me off.

The SFT clone and DI box combination just sounds great. Its my current solution, I don't think I'll be changing any time soon. I also run the SFT into the front of amps, it just works.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited August 2018
    Anyone here owned a REDDI? It's all they talk about on Gearslutz. I didnt have the budget for a bass and mic pre so got a great river which does both well. This is just for recording at home.

La3a clone is great just after. 

• Not owned a REDDI but I'm aware there's now a plugin if that'd be any use to you.  https://www.thehouseofkush.com/plugins/reddi
    My Behringer BDI21 turned up today - will give it a go this week and review!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Following my question about the THR5 on the other thread bridgehouse can I get a single normal sized pedal which I could use to put in front of my THR when recording to get a bass sound and also use to play a bass into my princeton so I can record a bass part on my looper or have I misunderstood the capabilities?
    munckee said:
    Following my question about the THR5 on the other thread bridgehouse can I get a single normal sized pedal which I could use to put in front of my THR when recording to get a bass sound and also use to play a bass into my princeton so I can record a bass part on my looper or have I misunderstood the capabilities?
    The Behringer BDI21 will do this - and give you DI out direct - it will let you control gain, drive, EQ and output and all for £27 - it’s just slightly bigger than a boss sized pedal (wider)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Not owned a REDDI but I'm aware there's now a plugin if that'd be any use to you.  https://www.thehouseofkush.com/plugins/reddi
    The whole benefit is what happens (tube/transformer) before the AD conversion. Plugins like these never really do the same thing in a satisfying way, unless someone here has direct experience of this particular one. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    munckee said:
    The Behringer BDI21 will do this - and give you DI out direct - it will let you control gain, drive, EQ and output and all for £27 - it’s just slightly bigger than a boss sized pedal (wider)
    The thr5 doesn’t have a flat input so you’d be adding the pedal to the clean mode, which might be an improvement but you’ll always be limited by the guitar style preamp - have you tried plugging a bass in and using the clean channel?
     A shame you didn’t have the thr10, I use the bass channel on mine regularly and it’s great for quiet  practising at home.  
    John_P said:
    munckee said:
    The thr5 doesn’t have a flat input so you’d be adding the pedal to the clean mode, which might be an improvement but you’ll always be limited by the guitar style preamp - have you tried plugging a bass in and using the clean channel?
     A shame you didn’t have the thr10, I use the bass channel on mine regularly and it’s great for quiet  practising at home.  
    The BDI21 has a line output which will cope - tho you are right you’ll be restricted by the clean amp models
    PF20T arrived and it’s fooked. It’s going back. Dunno if I want a replacement yet. :(
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Just got a QSC K10.2 - mainly for guitar use, but will use it for the bass as well.  Amp Pig Kemper profiles in front of it work well.

In case I don't want to lug the Kemper out with it, I'm tempted by the Behringer.  Have you had a chance to try that yet @Bridgehouse?
    crunchman said:
    Just got a QSC K10.2 - mainly for guitar use, but will use it for the bass as well.  Amp Pig Kemper profiles in front of it work well.

In case I don't want to lug the Kemper out with it, I'm tempted by the Behringer.  Have you had a chance to try that yet @Bridgehouse?
    With the k10.2 you mean? Not yet..
    I just realised you meant generally :)

Yes - it’s really quite good. I can try it into my k10.2 as well if you like?

It does seem to get reasonable reviews on the sound.  I don't play bass out a lot, and when I do it's normally at church, where there is a bass amp that belongs to the church.  I've got a big old 1 x 15" bass amp that is just taking up a lot of space, but I don't want to be entirely reliant on the Kemper.  The Behringer seems a very cost effective option.

I can use the Kemper for recording, so £27 on something that might get used once or twice a year seems a good option.  I was just after opinions on the sound.

If anyone wants a big old school amp:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133211/warwick-ccl-bass-amp-250w-1-x-15#latest

crunchman said:

It does seem to get reasonable reviews on the sound.  I don't play bass out a lot, and when I do it's normally at church, where there is a bass amp that belongs to the church.  I've got a big old 1 x 15" bass amp that is just taking up a lot of space, but I don't want to be entirely reliant on the Kemper.  The Behringer seems a very cost effective option.

I can use the Kemper for recording, so £27 on something that might get used once or twice a year seems a good option.  I was just after opinions on the sound.

If anyone wants a big old school amp:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133211/warwick-ccl-bass-amp-250w-1-x-15#latest

What sort of sound are you after on bass? The behringer adds a little bit of colour but mostly it’s just a good EQ and boost with some balance

What sort of sound are you after on bass? The behringer adds a little bit of colour but mostly it’s just a good EQ and boost with some balance
    Just a nice solid low end old school P bass type thing ideally.
    crunchman said:

The BDI21 does that well. And it’s EQ will let you dial in a decent range of sounds as well. For the money I would give it a go - if nothing else it’s a brilliant back up if your amp fails so you can DI to the PA
    crunchman said:

The BDI21 does that well. And it’s EQ will let you dial in a decent range of sounds as well. For the money I would give it a go - if nothing else it’s a brilliant back up if your amp fails so you can DI to the PA

Thanks.

I do like the look of some the more expensive ones you listed above, but for the amount of use it would get, I'm not sure it would be worth it.  I can get a decent recorded sound using an Ampeg profile on the Kemper.