why do collectors pay so much for an original Les Paul burst ? - Reverb article

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
edited August 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader
https://reverb.com/uk/news/why-do-collectors-pay-so-much-for-original-les-paul-bursts

interesting article I've just found on Reverb - digest accordingly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    Highly entertaining:

"The magic here," Kerry says, "is what the instrument does for the player—it's a truly unique tool for the musician. It has the ability to deliver the sweetest and mellowest overtones when played with a light and deft touch, but it comes alive when driven to its tonal and sonic extremes. The geometry of its design and electronics make it exceedingly easy to play, and the high level of craftsmanship is not lost on the many guitarists who play one".

Perhaps, if someone like Kerry had been been writing Gibson's advertising spiel in the 50s, they'd never had needed to replace the Les Paul with the SG. :)  

And:

"And here it's worth noting an important factor: The price difference can be sizable between a beaten example with no "flame" in the maple top compared to an all-round stunner."

How long before someone claims the tone is in the flame?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Hyperbole at its best.

The geometry of its design and electronics make it exceedingly easy to play,

Clearly written by someone who never plays above the 12th fret, has ten inch long fingers for doing volume swells and has someone else to hold the guitar for them for long periods of time to stop shoulder ache. Or someone who has never played anything else...

Sorry - Les Pauls are interesting instruments. I have one. But are they the ultimate guitar? Only to some. Are late 50s Bursts "magic"? Only if you believe in fairies, goblins etc - or are just downright delusional. Will they make you play 'better'? Only in your head. Will one inspire you? Maybe - it depends on what you get off on. Do they sound 'better'? Depends on your point of view and opinion (its all subjective... plus some have their own financial reasons for preserving that as a 'popular wisdom').

Pieces like this are written for a reason - be under no illusion about that - and the last line is the clue as to the reason for its existence.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I thought the answer was "because the bubble hasn't burst yet".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Originally it was players buying them because they are great sounding instruments and Gibson weren't making them any more (let's say '63-ish to '68-ish), then it was because Gibson did make them but they weren't as good ('69 to maybe 2000). Then it was because the vintage ones were a good investment, and had more mojo (2000 to just before whenever the last price dip happened - maybe 2008?). Now it's because they're a bit deluded. 

I'm a big fan of well made things, and especially musical instruments, and especially old ones. But the current values make me sad as it means so few are actually getting played on a regular basis because that might hurt their value.

It's lovely to see old important instruments in museums, but it's also kinda heartbreaking that these great instruments are sitting unused
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    I suspect that there is a fairly wide margin and that the best bursts are great and the worst ones are just not great instruments at all. If people are prepared to pay that sort if crazy money then hopefully it ups the quality of new instruments.

Remember that not a single burst was made as a vintage instrument, they were all brand new when they were made. They were still relatively new when the Pages, Claptons etc played them.

Apart from the fact that I could sell it and live comfortably for the rest of my life, would I rather a burst or an Orca or a Feline? 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    I've been lucky enough over the years to play a couple of bursts ... never owned one, and with their current value, I'm sure i never will. I found them good but only as good as any good Les Paul fitted with PAFs. The magic is in what our baby boomer generation's guitar heroes did with them ... not some mythical spirit in the guitar. Collectors are paying for a dream, not an artifact. 
    I refuse to be convinced that Clapton's sound on the Beano album would have been any less iconic if someone could pop back in a time machine and substitute his burst for a good Epiphone Les Paul. The magic was in his fingers and in the production, not the instrument.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited August 2018
    I’m not convinced even the most ardent Les Paul fan could argue they’re an ergonomic triumph - the ‘geometry of the design’ is fundamentally flawed in my opinion.

The fact is, if you want to buy a Van Gogh - a ‘real’ one’s millions - as dictated by supply and demand - it’s no different with a collectible example of anything. I’m perfectly prepared to believe that a ‘good’ late ‘50s Les Paul is better than newer iterations - but not to a point where it matters to a listener. 

I was in the studio on Sunday recording some guitar for a friend’s project. The way my DGT could be coaxed into musical feedback, stayed perfectly in tune throughout the session and sounded bloody marvellous really made my wonder if it’s the best guitar I’ve ever owned. The fact it’s an ‘uncool’ brand, isn’t old and wasn’t used on any ‘benchmark’ guitar recordings doesn’t actually matter to me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    I've been lucky enough over the years to play a couple of bursts ... never owned one, and with their current value, I'm sure i never will. I found them good but only as good as any good Les Paul fitted with PAFs. The magic is in what our baby boomer generation's guitar heroes did with them ... not some mythical spirit in the guitar. Collectors are paying for a dream, not an artifact. 
    I refuse to be convinced that Clapton's sound on the Beano album would have been any less iconic if someone could pop back in a time machine and substitute his burst for a good Epiphone Les Paul. The magic was in his fingers and in the production, not the instrument.
    I'll pop back and give him my Squier Hello Kitty. I wonder if, on my return, collectors would be creaming themselves over them. I'm sure a young Eric Clapton would have sounded pretty good on anything!
    The fact that Clapton in his career has used 335s, SGs, and Strats would seem to show that even he wasn't totally overawed by burst's 'magic'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Also worth remembering old EC (allegedly and singlehandedly) created the 'vintage' market playing a 6 or 7 year old guitar...... :)

www.proudhoney.com

Well said, Ash.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To the question...

Because their accountants have told them it's ok. 

I prefer Les Paul's over other guitars, that's merely a fact. 

'Bursts? Like minding your mates kids for the evening, fantastic as far as it goes, but underpinned by the sure and certain fact that you get to give them back at the end of a few hours without any of the on-going worry and inevitable weather eye on costs....

I prefer Les Paul's over other guitars, that's merely a fact.  an opinion.

FTFY

• impmann said:

FTFY
    I'd rather you leave my narrative alone. Fact.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    impmann said:

FTFY
    It is a a fact though not an opinion.

Opinion would be he believes the LP is the best guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I can’t wait for the Motown revival so my vintage Precision with sunburst and tort is worth £100k
    DanR said:
    impmann said:

FTFY

Humour is wasted here. Clearly...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    impmann said:
    DanR said:
    impmann said:

FTFY

Humour is wasted here. Clearly...

In your opinion...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The problem with Bursts is they are Les Pauls and Les Pauls are rubbish. That's a fact.
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom