R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• roberty said:
    He found that the frets weren't 100% level though, said it was likely down to the wood settling after being boxed for a duration of time. Were talking ever so slightly here, nothing major, but it was enough for me to notice.
    That's an interesting point actually
    I was impressed with the guitar - felt and sounded great, but Jon just wanted me to check out the little rattle he was getting on the G string.
    I expect that as all the R8s would be Plek profiled at the factory it was just a little settling and a tiny bit of wood shrinkage that all guitars face. 
    Jon and I had the conversation of if it were "my own guitar", what would I do to make it be perfect for my own liking, and in reality all I would have done was a very light but controlled fret skim in the Erlewine neck jig, and add a tiny bit of fallaway into the upper frets to make it a bit cleaner playing in the fret 10-15 range, and a tiny bit of finessing of the  nut and bridge saddles and a tiny drop of nut sauce lube.
    Thank you :-)

Those little things made a massive difference to me. Overall, the guitar just feels a lot nicer to play. Can't get better praise than that really.

If I lived closer, Feline would have had all my guitars to work their magic on and would recommend anyone who can get there...DO IT!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9271
    Hattigol said:
    What are we going to talk about now? This thread surely cannot end - I'd have to go and do some work....
    Please, no. We might have to start playing our guitars rather than looking at other peoples
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    He found that the frets weren't 100% level though, said it was likely down to the wood settling after being boxed for a duration of time. Were talking ever so slightly here, nothing major, but it was enough for me to notice.
    I was impressed with the guitar - felt and sounded great, but Jon just wanted me to check out the little rattle he was getting on the G string.
    I expect that as all the R8s would be Plek profiled at the factory it was just a little settling and a tiny bit of wood shrinkage that all guitars face. 
    Jon and I had the conversation of if it were "my own guitar", what would I do to make it be perfect for my own liking, and in reality all I would have done was a very light but controlled fret skim in the Erlewine neck jig, and add a tiny bit of fallaway into the upper frets to make it a bit cleaner playing in the fret 10-15 range, and a tiny bit of finessing of the  nut and bridge saddles and a tiny drop of nut sauce lube.

Those little things made a massive difference to me. Overall, the guitar just feels a lot nicer to play. Can't get better praise than that really.

If I lived closer, Feline would have had all my guitars to work their magic on and would recommend anyone who can get there...DO IT!
    Little bit of a ways away for me sadly! That kind of attention to detail is really impressive though and I wouldn't hesitate if I was still in London

I'll be getting the nut cut for 11s and having this early 80s Super Distortion in next week hopefully (sacrilege!). At least it's a historically accurate kind of sacrilege. All the real ones have had this pickup in at some point, right?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

Little bit of a ways away for me sadly! That kind of attention to detail is really impressive though and I wouldn't hesitate if I was still in London

I'll be getting the nut cut for 11s and having this early 80s Super Distortion in next week hopefully (sacrilege!). At least it's a historically accurate kind of sacrilege. All the real ones have had this pickup in at some point, right?

They have. A very popular “upgrade” in the late 70’s and 80’s. 

Get a Dual Sound for the neck position, double whites in a burst. Classic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    edited September 2018
    @Adamski : we're waiting................. :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    roberty said:

After all the recommendations, I've just dropped off my AS93 to Jonathan this morning for a setup and fret dress. Looking forward to the result!
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2018
    R8’s back in stock at GG. Just had an email from them. Just Ice tea though and will be lucky dip again 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331292008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-iced-tea
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    R8’s back in stock at GG. Just had an email from them. Just Ice tea though and will be lucky dip again 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331292008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-iced-tea
    Gone...

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331292008--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1958-figured-top-iced-te

Gone!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    How many did they have?  Not many if they've all gone!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Hattigol said:

Gone...

Hahaha!  Amazing

They're still using the photo of mine I see :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Someone expecting that one may be disappointed then!  Looks like they only had the one.
  • Possibly a return?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5403
    Quite possibly a return too from the first batch rather than any fresh new inventory...
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Twinfan said:
    How many did they have?  Not many if they've all gone!
    It was probably one that had been returned.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5403
    Mega jinx
  • Well that was an anti climax but good for the lucky one that got in first 
  • Fresh from coda this morning my 2nd 58 from this run we are all talking about. More of a plain top than my other but super light at 8 lbs

https://i.imgur.com/vibjRaH.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited September 2018
    Having issues uploading from Imgur on my phone! Hold tight..

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    lp59boy said:
    Fresh from coda this morning my 2nd 58 from this run we are all talking about. More of a plain top than my other but super light at 8 lbs

https://i.imgur.com/vibjRaH.jpg
    Lovely stuff!!!