Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quad Jam (Nov 2018AD) FINAL Set list thread...

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    SteveF said:
    I've just been added to the main list - not sure if I'm supposed to still suggest 3 more songs or not, but if so: 

ACDC - You shook me all night long (lead pls) 
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name (lead)
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer (lead)

Of the ones on the list currently (don't want to step on any toes, but everything seems to be called already):

I wouldn't mind the main guitar/solo on Wanted Dead or Alive (the last post I can find says it's available, but the spreadsheet says Alnico is doing it?  Maybe I missed a post on my read through). 

Dancing in the moonlight lead (I think someone already called it, so if we do another run through I'd love a go). 

If you do another run through wishing well, I'd love to have a go at lead.

I could probably learn lead to Mardy Bum. 

Also happy to jam on Rockin in the Free World or Word Up. 

Mainly happy to just meet everyone and say hello! :) 

Out of interest - do people tend to note for note on solos or improv their own in the key?   

Hi Steve,
    We’ll always make space for people to play on the songs, so if your happy to play on the current songs:-

I’ll add you to the solo slots on Wanted dead or alive, dancing and Wishing well- I’m sure we’ll do some twice and @Alnico was stepping in to help out. Do you fancy doing solo on While my guitar gently weeps as well?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Solos are not normally exact copies - more in the style of- what ever you feel comfortable with.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    SteveF said:
     not sure if I'm supposed to still suggest 3 more songs or not, but if so: 
    You are very welcome to add more songs into the suggestions list, but keep in mind that we're not expecting Brian Johnson nor Jon Bon Jovi ... so slightly less challenging vocals would be good
    ;)

SteveF said:
    don't want to step on any toes, but everything seems to be called already
    That's one of the problems with organising these things.  We need to make sure that the songs are fully covered with all the parts, so people tend to jump in and volunteer to play stuff quickly, just so that we know that we'll be able to do it.

But then it looks like all slots in all songs are "taken".

The principle is that an old lag will step aside and/or we'll do more run throughs of the popular songs so that everyone gets a go on what they want to play.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited September 2018

@steveF - to get the vibe from previous jams - check out Modellista's excellent informal recordings on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/MartSharm/videos?disable_polymer=1

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    TTony said:
    SteveF said:
     not sure if I'm supposed to still suggest 3 more songs or not, but if so: 
    You are very welcome to add more songs into the suggestions list, but keep in mind that we're not expecting Brian Johnson nor Jon Bon Jovi ... so slightly less challenging vocals would be good
    ;)

SteveF said:
    don't want to step on any toes, but everything seems to be called already
    That's one of the problems with organising these things.  We need to make sure that the songs are fully covered with all the parts, so people tend to jump in and volunteer to play stuff quickly, just so that we know that we'll be able to do it.

But then it looks like all slots in all songs are "taken".

The principle is that an old lag will step aside and/or we'll do more run throughs of the popular songs so that everyone gets a go on what they want to play.

Haha, I hadn't even considered the vocals - I just know the songs (more or less)! It didn't even occur to me that someone had to sing - the downside to being a bedroom player!! :D I'll have a think and suggest a couple of easier singers later/tomorrow. 

Sounds like a nice friendly session. :) I'll remain flexible.  I'm not particularly good, so I can't 'cuff' songs, but I'm relatively happy to play something I know or can learn by the date. 

mrkb said:
    SteveF said:
    I've just been added to the main list - not sure if I'm supposed to still suggest 3 more songs or not, but if so: 

ACDC - You shook me all night long (lead pls) 
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name (lead)
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer (lead)

Of the ones on the list currently (don't want to step on any toes, but everything seems to be called already):

I wouldn't mind the main guitar/solo on Wanted Dead or Alive (the last post I can find says it's available, but the spreadsheet says Alnico is doing it?  Maybe I missed a post on my read through). 

Dancing in the moonlight lead (I think someone already called it, so if we do another run through I'd love a go). 

If you do another run through wishing well, I'd love to have a go at lead.

I could probably learn lead to Mardy Bum. 

Also happy to jam on Rockin in the Free World or Word Up. 

Mainly happy to just meet everyone and say hello! :) 

Out of interest - do people tend to note for note on solos or improv their own in the key?   

Hi Steve,
    We’ll always make space for people to play on the songs, so if your happy to play on the current songs:-

I’ll add you to the solo slots on Wanted dead or alive, dancing and Wishing well- I’m sure we’ll do some twice and @Alnico was stepping in to help out. Do you fancy doing solo on While my guitar gently weeps as well?
    Not sure about that one.  I haven't ever tried to play it - let me have a look at it and see if I think I can learn it.  I'll come back to you :) 
    @TTony Axl Rose and James Hetfield probably not a good idea either?.... ;)
  • SteveF said:
    Anything by Björk should be a piece of piss though 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SteveF said:
    :D 

I guess there's a balance.  No-one expects the vocals to be *perfect*.  In fact, no-one expects any part of any song that we play to be *perfect* because we're just a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs - or amateur enthusiasts.

But, at the same time, we all want whatever we play on to sound reasonably decent (don't we?).  Which means keeping in mind whether the vocals are demanding or just impossible, whether the song really does need that 13-piece brass section, is a 23min track really too long to play at a jam session (etc).

And it's also (usually) a bigger buzz to play a simple song really well, than to half-do a really complicated song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Understand I’m now on the main list. Is there a spread sheet link somewhere (as there was for Hudderfield - Jan Session) ? If there are 2nd renditions of ‘Rockin in the Free World’ & ‘Get Back’, please put my name down for a guitar part.
    TTony said:
    SteveF said:
    :D 

I guess there's a balance.  No-one expects the vocals to be *perfect*.  In fact, no-one expects any part of any song that we play to be *perfect* because we're just a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs - or amateur enthusiasts.

But, at the same time, we all want whatever we play on to sound reasonably decent (don't we?).  Which means keeping in mind whether the vocals are demanding or just impossible, whether the song really does need that 13-piece brass section, is a 23min track really too long to play at a jam session (etc).

And it's also (usually) a bigger buzz to play a simple song really well, than to half-do a really complicated song.
    Absolutely makes sense. :) I was in blind panic thinking of songs that I felt I could have a reasonable attempt at the guitar part.  I'll have a better think for something that will work :)
    BillyK57 said:
    Understand I’m now on the main list. Is there a spread sheet link somewhere (as there was for Hudderfield - Jan Session) ? If there are 2nd renditions of ‘Rockin in the Free World’ & ‘Get Back’, please put my name down for a guitar part.
    @markblagon is owner of the spreadsheet (linked in the first post of this thread), and he'll put you down for those songs.
  • mrkb said:
    (Newcomer) 
    I'd like to give Lil Devil a crack please, on rhythm. I'm a bedroom guitarist and a poor one at that though. 
    Great, and there are other simple 12 bar style songs you could add some rhythm in (Juniors wailing).

if you PM me your email address I can send you my song sheet for Lil devil, and a one pager with he solo tab if you fancy trying that (We can run through it the the practice room on the day and if you don’t feel confident I can cover the solo) - same applies to you @Brocco
    Only just seen this...yeah I'll have a look at the tabs and give the solo a bash...what's the worst that can happen. I'll PM you my email also. Cheers 
    I'm a Grade 4 bedroom guitarist, never played live, who seems to think he needs 5 guitars.
    With just over 2mths to go, this is pretty much the final call for the newly confirmed attendees to suggest (up to) 3 songs that they'd like to play on the day.

No guarantees that any will get picked, but if you don't suggest them, I can guarantee that they won't get picked for the main song list! 

You don't have to suggest anything, and don't have to play on the day either, but if you're not intending to do either/both, please let us know and they we know that you've not been overlooked

@steveF
    @handsomechris
    @skinnyhead45
    @strumjoughlamps
    @lodius

@billyk57 ; -  I don't think you've paid yet?
  • TTony said:
    With just over 2mths to go, this is pretty much the final call for the newly confirmed attendees to suggest (up to) 3 songs that they'd like to play on the day.

No guarantees that any will get picked, but if you don't suggest them, I can guarantee that they won't get picked for the main song list! 

You don't have to suggest anything, and don't have to play on the day either, but if you're not intending to do either/both, please let us know and they we know that you've not been overlooked

@steveF
    @handsomechris
    @skinnyhead45
    @strumjoughlamps
    @lodius

ahhh, I misunderstood before thought you were saying I could play/sing something from the set list..

okay I am going to step away from Afghan Whigs etc.. suggestions and think of songs that peeps might actually want to participate in.

Teenage Kicks - Undertones

Run or Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

Otherside - RHCP
  • TTony said:

@steveF
    @handsomechris
    @skinnyhead45
    @strumjoughlamps
    @lodius

ahhh, I misunderstood before thought you were saying I could play/sing something from the set list..

okay I am going to step away from Afghan Whigs etc.. suggestions and think of songs that peeps might actually want to participate in.

Otherside - RHCP
    I would bass chasing cars - done that before
  • Good picks! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Yes indeed, I'm very fond of Chasing Cars

And no I'm not a Dog!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    edited September 2018

Otherside - RHCP
     @Bridgehouse  ;-  I presume that @strumjoughlamps ;; might actually like to play on the song that he suggested himself rather than suggesting something for you to play ...
  • TTony said:

Otherside - RHCP
     @Bridgehouse  ;-  I presume that @strumjoughlamps ;; might actually like to play on the song that he suggested himself rather than suggesting something for you to play ...
    Lol - I assumed he’d need a bass player, not that he would be basing ;) I’m not used to people actually wanting to play bass - my offer was just in case there was a need!