Alternative to Stew Mac ColorTone stains?

I want to tint a maple neck prior to a Tru-Oil/Osmo/similar finish.
StewMac's Colotone stains look great but are hideously expensive. I believe they are rebranded Transtint, which are just as elusive here in the UK.
I was thinking of something like Morrell's Light Fast Stains - alcohol based so can be thinned with meths or lacquer thinners.
Golden Oak or Honey Pine look like a decent base but I'd also want some yellow and possibly amber to dial the colour in.
I can't seem to find any stains in small bottles for the yellow and amber. Chestnut do "rainsbow" colours and wood colours in a spirit base but a 250ml bottle is almost as much as 1ltr of Morrell's.

Anyone have suggestions/recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    The chestnut stains are good but any spirit based stain should do.  Traditional wood stains in light or antique pine get you close but do test on scrap 

• Are Crimson's stain 'shots' any use?

https://crimsonguitars.com/store/stunning-stains-shots/
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Not sure if they are compatible with the Morrell's or Chestnut stuff, but may be an option for mixing.
    I may just commit to the Morrell's - it may not need any adjusting.
    Will have to acquire some maple scrap for testing.
    Cheers.
  • Not sure if they are compatible with the Morrell's or Chestnut stuff, but may be an option for mixing.
    I may just commit to the Morrell's - it may not need any adjusting.
    Will have to acquire some maple scrap for testing.
    Cheers.
    Assuming it is a bolt on neck, then just test underneath the heel that will be concealed once it's bolted back on, then you see the colour of that specific maple with the stain. Maple comes in very different colours and absorption rates.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Chestnut is defintely compatible with nitro I've used them loads. If you want a few samples to try out I have all the primary colours, and some wood shades in 500ml bottles, so I've got loads.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    here is an aged tint i did under a tru-oil finish

This one got a dark oak or walnut stain first for a bit of dirt, and was then sanded back before using a light pine.  I think it was just colron or wickes traditional wood stain (spirit based).  I may have also tinted the first few coats of oil with the lighter stain.    

its never as simple as just wiping  on a stain of the right colour, because it will look consistent and take away from the aged look.  A bit of back and forth with the colours helps develop a nicer look to my eyes.  
    tFB Trader
    That looks good. On previous tests I've not found uniformity to be a problem - the grain tends to take the stain at differing intensities.
    Come to think of it I might have some dyes/stains tucked away in the garage from previous tests...
  • As for using Tru oil for finish on top of dye. Not good. I learned the hard way on 4 builds before the first came back. If your hand has any moisture the dye will bleed out no matter how much True oil is used. If you use true oil before a wipe on poly you'll have great results. Makes the wood super thirsty and helps even out the coats. 
    I don't believe Colortone is repackaged Trans Tint. StewMac has about 3 times more variety in colors. 
    Best of luck
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    What did you use in the end Gavin and was it any good. I'm also looking to find a vintage amber tint compatible with Tru Oil..
    tFB Trader
    I didn't - I had @GoldenEraGuitars spray me a neck. When I finally get round to putting the guitar together (don't judge me!) I'll probably rub down the back a bit to lose the stickiness.