The Strange and Short Lived Fashion For Click Bass [ no, not click bait ]

Looking for the earliest  use of  click bass in pop music record production, this example is from 1966.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That sound lives on in old film and television soundtracks - and recreations thereof. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited September 2018

It might be interesting to know how and when the American "tic-tac" two-bass style crossed over from country into what you might call pop. Leon Rhodes, Grady Martin and Harold Bradley played damped-pick Danos and Fenders on a huge bunch of records out of Nashville from the late-'50s on. Is that pop, though...? Patsy Cline's Crazy might be one example... 

See also Ladi Geisler playing his trademark "knack bass" style with Bert Kaempfert. This is from 1962. Definitely NOT cool. But I suspect highly influential...

• Good call with Crazy,  without getting bogged down in pedantry and hair splitting, I  would say Patsy's music is popular music, so yeah it's Pop.   =)
  • The click bass on Matthew and Son is by session man and later Zep bass genius John Paul Jones who resurrected the sound on Achilles' Last Stand in 1976...