Which bass amp please?

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Greetings folks,

As part of this years' Christmas madness, Im having a go at building a bass guitar for my eldest boy. That, in itself, not an issue. However, as I have never played bass myself I don't have a bass amplifier and don't really know what I should be looking out for.

So, can anyone offer some amp advice? As it will be a gift, new is preferred, but am certainly open to secondhand. Also, anything I should be avoiding? If there is an amp out there that does bass and microphone, that would be a bonus, but not essential. Budget? £300 Style? Unknown. Likelihood of playing outside of home? Minimal/nil.

Many thanks,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Kalimna said:
    If there is an amp out there that does bass and microphone, that would be a bonus.
    There, you are wandering into the realms of getting a P.A. and running the bass guitar through a pre-amplifier or multi-effect pedal of some description.

Kalimna said:
    Budget? £300 Style? Unknown. Likelihood of playing outside of home? Minimal/nil.
    Fender Rumble Studio 40 

Be seeing you.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Ok, so not really interested in a P.A. so a Rumble it is. I had wondered if there was something else similar to the Blackstar BEAM that might have done the trick?

Cheers,

Adam

• I have not tried any Blackstar bass guitar amplification. Hence, I can offer no informed opinion of it.

There was a thread about these amps earlier this year. It rapidly turned into a closed dialogue between two contributors. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I strongly doubt there is any proper bass amp with a mic input. There is no normal use for that scenario, and the tonal characteristics of the two are quite different, even for bass amps with a tweeter.

A keyboard amp will do the job though, and some do have mic channels - and they need to handle the low-end from a keyboard, which can be even more than from a bass. You may need an external bass preamp or FX unit to make it sound 'right' though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks for the advice - the blackstar amps from the other thread were the new Unity range, the BEAM was a couple of years ago and supposedly handled bass/acoustic/microphone. But I have no experience of them either.

Understood re:tonal specs of bass amp.

May I ask what is the practical difference between the Rumble 40 and Rumble 40 Studio (which is pushing the £300 limit a *little* bit)?

Cheers,

Adam

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited September 2018
    Kalimna said:
    the BEAM was a couple of years ago and supposedly handled bass/acoustic/microphone. 
    Ah, those. A friend of mine bought one on eBay. He arranged its return on the same day as it arrived. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha! Fair enough :)
  • Kalimna said:

Thanks for the advice - the blackstar amps from the other thread were the new Unity range, the BEAM was a couple of years ago and supposedly handled bass/acoustic/microphone. But I have no experience of them either.

Understood re:tonal specs of bass amp.

May I ask what is the practical difference between the Rumble 40 and Rumble 40 Studio (which is pushing the £300 limit a *little* bit)?

Cheers,

Adam

The studio is a modelling amp with a whole bunch of different amp models built in
    Gotcha. Thanks.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Worth checking out the Ampeg BA-108, 110 etc. series. They don't have the bells and whistles of the Rumbles but they do sound good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited September 2018
    Tried one of those Marshalls for acoustics? 
  • If the mic thing is super important, get a powered wedge-style PA combo, and one of those £17 Behringer bass amp sim DI boxes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks for the further advice. I'll see if I can check out the Ampeg's too.

Regarding the mic thing - not super important, but my younger boy wants to try his hand at one so it doesn't need to be fantastic, but if possible to kill 2 birds with one stone.... No I haven't had a shot through the Marshall acoustic amps (I understand the AS100D to be the choice of the group), but I had considered them along with the Boss Acoustic Singer (overkill for my boy, but I do have an acoustic with pickup so it would be useful there too).

GAS is an evil mistress!

Cheers,

Adam

Kalimna said:

I haven't had a shot through the Marshall acoustic amps (I understand the AS100D to be the choice of the group)

Yes, but still not a good idea. Don’t put bass through a AS50R/D, it won’t handle it and at best it will make the power amp shut down.

In fact in general I would be careful about putting bass through any acoustic amp that isn’t specifically designed for electric/acoustic bass, even more than I would through an electric guitar amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Ahh, the thread has taken a left turn. I wasn't considering running a bass through an acoustic amp at all. But mic+acoustic in the same 'box' seems rather common.

Cheers,

Adam

Kalimna said:

Ahh, the thread has taken a left turn. I wasn't considering running a bass through an acoustic amp at all. But mic+acoustic in the same 'box' seems rather common.

It is, because the frequency response and dynamic requirements are fairly similar, and it means a solo performer can use it for both without needing a PA - or you can use the mic channel for your guitar as well and get a better sound than with the pickup alone.

There are definitely at least a couple of dedicated acoustic bass amps available, but I can’t remember if they have mic inputs. They’re probably also fairly expensive...

• The AER bass acoustic amps are pretty much the gold standard...