Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I want to take my girlfriend to Inverness

What's Hot
Please will you good people of tFB with experience of what it like there share some information?  I think @johnnyurq is from around that way and I may have promised to visit him.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7850

is that a euphemism ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    edited September 2018
    I mentioned a town in Cumbria but thought better of it carry on and take a rain coat for Scotland this time of year
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always treat your train like you treat your woman!

How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?

No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to Inverness and back!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At this time of year, I'd save yourself an hour in the car and stop at Aviemore. 

Simply stunning once the snows start to dust the tops. 

Inverness itself has some interesting cultural corners, but sadly, like most other British towns, now has the clone retail park and high street disease with all the usual suspects represented. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe suggest a ‘Centre parcs’ weekend instead.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing for strangers here,  just local shops for local people. You wouldn't understand our ways. ;-)

I jest and we do in fact keep a welcome in the hillsides.

Not too bad weather wise the last wee while with not a lot of rain.  As for snow we rarely see it until December time really since years now.

It depends on what you want to do and see really but we have plenty good eateries and a variety of  hostelries  depending on you poison as in rowdy or quiet. A few  venues have live music of all sorts from trad to allsorts. on most nights.

There is a Museum and Art Gallery if you like culture and tours round our fine Baronial Town House (or is that Toon Hoose?) which has load sof interesting stuff and even hosted a cabinet meeting back in the day and

As most places we have the obligatory out of town shopping and cinemas etc but loads of quirky wee pubs and venues worthy of a look.

Quite a few historical sites close by if that is of interest at all.

I agree with Aveimore with the area being beautiful but sadly it is past its heyday nightlife and things to do wise. Well worth a visit though if only to go on the Steam Train and go over the Glenfinnan Viaduct and crack on you are off to Hogwarts. Might be a busman's holiday given your line of work though lol.

Close enough to these to visit as well.

Allsorts of Whisky trails and even more over by @Discostu's part of the world if that floats yer boat.

If you come on or around the 8th of Oct we even have the Proud Ness pride marches and events, looks like it wil be a hoot.

The after party is booked out so nae luck there lol.

If you do make it up I have access to a Studio/Rehearsal Room if you want to make a racket and 1st Friday of the Month we have a Jam night in Hootananny's, often MCd by me and my band mate. Can also show you the pubs of interest and ones to avoid like the plague.

Let me know what sort of things you are into (fnaar fnaar) and I can recommend places to  enjoy them in, even the real seedy stuff. :-)

That is a reference to our fine Mustard Seed eatery BTW, none of that salacious naughtiness.... or is it?

Feel free to ask away or PM.

• johnnyurq said:
    If you come on or around the 8th of Oct we even have the Proud Ness pride marches and events, looks like it wil be a hoot.

The after party is booked out so nae luck there lol.

Not if the Wee Frees get their way lol

Must admit, not spent much time in Sneckie for years. I'm from Fort William, and would certainly recommend taking that in also. It's probably not quite as good a town as it should be (given it's beautiful location and access to all manner of cool things and place), but it's TONS better than it used to be. From here you can spend time in Glen Nevis, as Johnny said take the Steam Train to Mallaig (beautiful), take the cable car up to Aonach Mor, and all manner of other things. 

Aviemore is also a good shout. Again, it's a touch tired, and may be a bit quieter as it's a summer or winter season town, but it's a beautiful part of the world. 

Will you be driving up? As if you have a car, you can cover a  lot of nice little places. Sadly in the Highland, a couple of hours or so in most places is often enough. Imagine living there!
  • westwest Frets: 996
    You could take her up the cairngorms ....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Use Inverness to visit beautiful scenery and places around. Don’t visit Inverness, though, as said above the town centre ain’t up to much.
  • Paul_C said:

is that a euphemism ?
    I know someone who took his wife up The Shard....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    Bit of a myth about Scottish rainfall generally. Yes, the west is extremely wet but the east (obviously including Inverness) is pretty dry. Dunbar claims to get more hours of sunlight than anywhere else in the UK. Not sure if that's true, mind you...

Enjoy. Lovely part of the world.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Paul_C said:

is that a euphemism ?
    I bet that hurt!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I was planning on taking The Caledonian Sleeper down there. Leave London at about 9 pm arrive in Scotland at about 8.30 on Saturday morning, then come back on the Sunday night . £170 return for the two of us with the Two Together Railcard.  I really can not be arsed with driving
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited September 2018
    there is a cute little alleyway in Kingston upon Thames called Ram Passage...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2eeh4iv.jpg

maybe she would like that??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • west said:
    You could take her up the cairngorms ....
    Oh yes, I took my wife up the Funicular and she really enjoyed it. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was planning on taking The Caledonian Sleeper down there. Leave London at about 9 pm arrive in Scotland at about 8.30 on Saturday morning, then come back on the Sunday night . £170 return for the two of us with the Two Together Railcard.  I really can not be arsed with driving
    If you're not going out of Inverness centre (which you may as well be in A N other town) I'd get off the train in Edinburgh or York or somewhere else instead personally.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Inverness itself is pretty dull, good as a base for Highlands, Loch Ness, Caledonian canal etc.

Overnight Sleeper is cool. Avoid Pullman chairs
    (crowded and either a sauna or a fridge) and get a cabin, also book dinner as dining car is small.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    You really need a car for Inverness/Highlands, the city is nice enough for a weekend away but the best places are only accessible with decent transport. My Inlaws stay on the Black Isle, Just across the bridge, so I get to spend a bit of time up there... If you get good weather Inverness is cracking

• Paul_C said:

is that a euphemism ?
    That was me... I previously took her up Blackpool Tower and St Paul's Cathedral...  she seems to enjoy being elevated to a higher plateau
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?