The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    So last practice I tapped out my instructor via kimura. I’ve got a feeling tonight he’s going to teach me a lesson. 
    Holy shit! Best of luck for next time (and well done). I rolled with my instructor this week and he was 'testing my defence'. He got me in some sort of elbow punch choke that felt like my neck and jaw were being crushed in a vice. It's ridiculous, no human should be able to do that.

I rolled with a guy last night who has just joined, he's 28, so 20 years younger than me, fit and strong and had done a little bit before. He just doninated a new white belt the roll before and clearly fancied his chances with me. I pulled guard, swept him and tapped him out with a Kimura in about 10 seconds. The look on his face was wonderful. We had a decent roll once he'd put aside his hubris.

The young guys are so fast I feel like I need to stall awhile to get them breathing heavy. 

That choke sounds brutal. 
    We had open mat and all rolled with him and I do feel he was being playful and I caught him in the kimura setup before he got a chance to do whatever it was he was attempting, I know he’s dying to get someone in the helicopter arm bar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well. Turns out no lesson taught. He gratuitously informed the class I caught him and promoted me to 2 stripes. 
    Chuffed. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    grungebob said:
    Well. Turns out no lesson taught. He gratuitously informed the class I caught him and promoted me to 2 stripes. 
    Chuffed. 
    Congrats! Keep going! 
    Thanks 
    Do you guys have a particular martial artist who you look to emulate? It occurred to me last night that when I learnt to play football as a kid I'd try to copy players I'd seen on TV. As a result my football style is a sort of really shit Steve Coppell.

I don't have any idea of who the top Jiu Jitsu guys are really, except some in MMA.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    No. Martial Arts is, and should be, a personal journey. Maybe admire other martial artists and indeed learn from them, but I certainly wouldn’t aim to emulate. 

As the Yiddish proverb goes: “If I try to be like him, who will be like me?”
    I have some practitioners who’s ethos I agree with but not who I try to emulate as a style. 
  • I don't follow BJJ much, but there are guys who's tuition I like & whom I enjoy watching:

Vagner Rocha
    Dan "imal" Reid
    Craig Jones
    Stephan Kesting
    Ryan Hall
    Sebastian Brosche (great yoga instructor too)

Jeff Glover is always entertaining to watch:.

• wish I was 'ard.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh wait, I am now.

Bye!

Keep wishing, sometimes they come true. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't follow BJJ much, but there are guys who's tuition I like & whom I enjoy watching:

Vagner Rocha
    Dan "imal" Reid
    Craig Jones
    Stephan Kesting
    Ryan Hall
    Sebastian Brosche (great yoga instructor too)

Jeff Glover is always entertaining to watch:.

I do Sebastian Brosche's Yoga classes online, he's great. My professor roomed with him in Brazil when they were training out there under Roberto 'Gordo' Correa. 

Been watching a few Grappling Academy videos, that guy is my sort of build. 
    Last night was open mat and the class decided to do rounds of fives. The order had it so I would be against the young guns then the big dude so I decided to go aggressive ie attack and I surprised myself and most of the others it seems. So much so I stuck to it all night.  I normally play a slow and steady approach as that way I know my cardio will hold up but I held my own against higher belts and it felt like a revelation. 

Any of you guys find this?
    grungebob said:
    Last night was open mat and the class decided to do rounds of fives. The order had it so I would be against the young guns then the big dude so I decided to go aggressive ie attack and I surprised myself and most of the others it seems. So much so I stuck to it all night.  I normally play a slow and steady approach as that way I know my cardio will hold up but I held my own against higher belts and it felt like a revelation. 

What is the driver for that mindset? Starting on floor, I always start looking for an elbow grip then a back grip. If I have to I'll fall back to knee grips and look to pass. This grip mindset means I have to be aggressive.

I suppose with higher belts I could look to break grips and be patient, that's probably something I will work on but will be a lot more defensive and patient game. 

Once the initial engagement has happened I find you are either defending, attacking or scrambling for position naturally, I don't think I'm adopting either an attacking or defensive mindset at this point. 

Cardio - I don't seem to gas out. I roll with a couple of guys who do gas after 2 minutes and I just make them work for that time then step it up in the 2nd half. 
  • I’ve been working on being more “proactive” & hunting submissions, it’s a fun way to play. 
    I do sometimes feel “bad” that I’ve tapped someone quickly, like I’m somehow taking the piss- that said, I arm triangled a brown belt right at the start of a round the other night & spent the rest of the roll frantically trying to avoid getting murdered. 

Ive also been rolling with Judoka a lot recently too, it’s weird for someone coming from BJJ. IF you survive the initial 30 second explosion they don’t always know what to do with you. Similarly if you keep attacking when they turtle up or go belly down it seems to confuse them. I think it’s because in Judo they’re used to getting stood up after a short period. 
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:

What is the driver for that mindset? Starting on floor, I always start looking for an elbow grip then a back grip. If I have to I'll fall back to knee grips and look to pass. This grip mindset means I have to be aggressive.

I suppose with higher belts I could look to break grips and be patient, that's probably something I will work on but will be a lot more defensive and patient game. 

Once the initial engagement has happened I find you are either defending, attacking or scrambling for position naturally, I don't think I'm adopting either an attacking or defensive mindset at this point. 

Cardio - I don't seem to gas out. I roll with a couple of guys who do gas after 2 minutes and I just make them work for that time then step it up in the 2nd half. 
    Well normally starting in combat base I’ll scoot under and pull butterfly guard then cheeky choke or sweep but with these guys being so strong and quick I went straight for high collar grab to knee slice then into side or modified. 
    Took them all by surprise. 
    I’ve been working on being more “proactive” & hunting submissions, it’s a fun way to play. 
    I do sometimes feel “bad” that I’ve tapped someone quickly, like I’m somehow taking the piss- that said, I arm triangled a brown belt right at the start of a round the other night & spent the rest of the roll frantically trying to avoid getting murdered. 

Ive also been rolling with Judoka a lot recently too, it’s weird for someone coming from BJJ. IF you survive the initial 30 second explosion they don’t always know what to do with you. Similarly if you keep attacking when they turtle up or go belly down it seems to confuse them. I think it’s because in Judo they’re used to getting stood up after a short period. 
    Yes I hear ya. One of the guys has been out  12 weeks with a bad knee came back and I subbed him in 90 seconds via head and arm choke. I even said sorry. 
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:

Well normally starting in combat base I’ll scoot under and pull butterfly guard then cheeky choke or sweep but with these guys being so strong and quick I went straight for high collar grab to knee slice then into side or modified. 
    Took them all by surprise. 
    The only time I pull guard is with real newbies but my guard game sucks massively.

I’ve been working on being more “proactive” & hunting submissions, it’s a fun way to play. 

Hugely impressed you tapped a brown belt. I've been patting myself on the back all week for getting mount against a couple of blue belts! How long you been training? 
  • Thanks- I survived the round, but it wasn’t fun... until the buzzer went. ;-)
    I just had a look... My first BJJ class was 10years ago! I’ve only ever trained no-gi and have never been interested in gradings/rankings/competition (I competed nationally at a few sports when younger & BJJ was only ever for “fun and fitness”- my equivalent of a weekly 5-a-side kick about) but am equivalent to 3 stripe blue belt according to my instructor. 

That said I’ve not trained consistently throughout that time- I herniated two discs in my back which put me out for 2 years, I’ve also dislocated a shoulder once and a knee twice (both 4 months out each) and broken ribs twice (3 months out both times). So that’s over 3.5years (!!) out injured & that’s only the “big” stuff. 
    Plus having kids in that time means I’ve only been able to train once a week since 2011.
    It’s fun despite the knocks & it’s part of “who I am”- I’ve considered quitting due to injury/age but really miss the challenge (and not being “Dad” for a few hours). 
    edited June 2019
    Thanks- I survived the round, but it wasn’t fun... until the buzzer went. ;-)
    I just had a look... My first BJJ class was 10years ago! I’ve only ever trained no-gi and have never been interested in gradings/rankings/competition (I competed nationally at a few sports when younger & BJJ was only ever for “fun and fitness”- my equivalent of a weekly 5-a-side kick about) but am equivalent to 3 stripe blue belt according to my instructor. 

That said I’ve not trained consistently throughout that time- I herniated two discs in my back which put me out for 2 years, I’ve also dislocated a shoulder once and a knee twice (both 4 months out each) and broken ribs twice (3 months out both times). So that’s over 3.5years (!!) out injured & that’s only the “big” stuff. 
    Plus having kids in that time means I’ve only been able to train once a week since 2011.
    It’s fun despite the knocks & it’s part of “who I am”- I’ve considered quitting due to injury/age but really miss the challenge (and not being “Dad” for a few hours). 

I'm just coming up a year, two stripes on my white belt. I like the stripe system, keeps me focussed on learning as I'm beginning to have a lot more fun just rolling it's easy to take your eye off the ball with regards to progress.