The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    I'm after some Wing Chun Butterfly Knives. If anyone here has a pair or knows someone/somewhere that does, please drop me a message  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I’ll join in the martial arts discussion!
    My 9year old daughter has been doing karate for a couple of years but her class had to move so rather than her stopping I decided that I’d start too. So since September I’ve been doing a weekly shotokan karate class, and from this week I’m upping it to training twice a week. I’ve been really enjoying it and looking forward to my first grading in December
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    Welcome all!
    theres a guy who’s recently joined our BJJ club who’s wing Chung training a few years now so I’ll ask him. 

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    grungebob said:
    Welcome all!
    theres a guy who’s recently joined our BJJ club who’s wing Chung training a few years now so I’ll ask him. 
    Excellent. Thanks dude!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    BigMonka said:
    My 9year old daughter has been doing karate for a couple of years but her class had to move so rather than her stopping I decided that I’d start too. So since September I’ve been doing a weekly shotokan karate class, and from this week I’m upping it to training twice a week. I’ve been really enjoying it and looking forward to my first grading in December

Nice, one of the guys I train with does family karate class with the kids, they love it. I've never done a class but there is a class before us so often get to see a glimpse of what they are doing while we are waiting. I'm training tonight.

Looks like we've secured the first dedicated facility for our class, probably moving in the new year. Be great to have it ready and nicely kitted out rather than having to put the mats out every week or share them with karate / judo. 
    Sliced my left middle finger picking up some metal tube on site yesterday morning, the bastard wouldn't stop bleeding. Strapped it up for training last night and it lasted about 2 minutes before opening up again. 

Managed to stop it and tape it up and rolled a few more times with adjusted technique of keeping my left hand back behind me on the mat and right hand only grips. I got a couple of submissions I've never done before, one loop choke with my legs clamped as leverage, left hand still on the mat. Quite an interesting little exercise! 

Playing guitar is going to be out for a week or two! 
    Fuengi said:
    Sliced my left middle finger picking up some metal tube on site yesterday morning, the bastard wouldn't stop bleeding. Strapped it up for training last night and it lasted about 2 minutes before opening up again. 

Managed to stop it and tape it up and rolled a few more times with adjusted technique of keeping my left hand back behind me on the mat and right hand only grips. I got a couple of submissions I've never done before, one loop choke with my legs clamped as leverage, left hand still on the mat. Quite an interesting little exercise! 

Playing guitar is going to be out for a week or two! 
    I had something similar when my left hand was in a cast. It let me work on my knee shield using my left forearm to frame into a quick arm bar using my knees to pinch the shoulder in place. 
    Good luck with the healing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Fuengi said:
    BigMonka said:

Nice, one of the guys I train with does family karate class with the kids, they love it. I've never done a class but there is a class before us so often get to see a glimpse of what they are doing while we are waiting. I'm training tonight.

Looks like we've secured the first dedicated facility for our class, probably moving in the new year. Be great to have it ready and nicely kitted out rather than having to put the mats out every week or share them with karate / judo. 
    Kudos! @bigmonka my daughter has been doing karate since she was 4. She’s 8 now and brown white belt, so potentially a first Dan opportunity for her next year. 

I had every intention of doing it with her and as a family but I bottled it. It just looked too difficult - my lack of coordination and too much remember and learn for this old man! So as I say kudos to you. 

I have started boxing though which suits me better - I enjoy the intensity of the training and the fact it’s not as structured. 

Speaking of which - is anyone else here doing boxing? I’ve a question on headgear if anyone can help?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Fuengi said:
    BigMonka said:

Kudos! @bigmonka my daughter has been doing karate since she was 4. She’s 8 now and brown white belt, so potentially a first Dan opportunity for her next year. 

I had every intention of doing it with her and as a family but I bottled it. It just looked too difficult - my lack of coordination and too much remember and learn for this old man! So as I say kudos to you. 

I have started boxing though which suits me better - I enjoy the intensity of the training and the fact it’s not as structured. 

Speaking of which - is anyone else here doing boxing? I’ve a question on headgear if anyone can help?

I boxed for about ten years as a teen / into my 20s, headgear was rustic and uncomfortable then, we rarely used it in the gym but for bouts and Hampshire training I had to wear it. What do you want to know? 
    Cheers @Fuengi ; - just about the different types.

Like all things there’s different price points, styles etc but unlike the guitar business there’s not a lot of info/reviews out there to inform buying decisions.

I’m happy to pay out the dosh to protect my boat race but there’s a lot to chose from.

I’ve pmd if you don’t mind rather than cluttering this thread. Cheers.
    Iamnobody said:
    Cheers @Fuengi ; - just about the different types.

Like all things there’s different price points, styles etc but unlike the guitar business there’s not a lot of info/reviews out there to inform buying decisions.

I’m happy to pay out the dosh to protect my boat race but there’s a lot to chose from.

I’ve pmd if you don’t mind rather than cluttering this thread. Cheers.
    No problem, replied. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Iamnobody said:
    Fuengi said:
    BigMonka said:

Thanks @Iamnobody there was a fairly small window where I thought “if I don’t start it now then I never will!” so just went for it. The bonus is that we get a family discount on training fees which means it only costs me £20/month to train twice a week which I think is pretty cheap.

Thats very impressive how far your daughter has got, she must be a natural! My son has started at nearly 6 years old and finds both the coordination and memory of the moves quite tricky, so respect to her for being so close to black belt!

Good luck with the boxing, that’s a proper workout.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Thanks @Iamnobody there was a fairly small window where I thought “if I don’t start it now then I never will!” so just went for it. The bonus is that we get a family discount on training fees which means it only costs me £20/month to train twice a week which I think is pretty cheap.

Thats very impressive how far your daughter has got, she must be a natural! My son has started at nearly 6 years old and finds both the coordination and memory of the moves quite tricky, so respect to her for being so close to black belt!

Good luck with the boxing, that’s a proper workout.
    @bigmonka - starting very young helps the first 12-18 months was a fun class but gets the basic, stance, kicks, punches and blocks in place ready for the main class. 

The main thing is repetition - our club trains 3 nights a week although we don’t get to every class. Also she did ballet from 2 and a half so a lot of the balance, coordination and ability to remember routines was probably in place before she started karate.

Shes not remarkable - she’s one of the smallest/youngest in her group and struggles to keep up at times. We’ve had times where she’s lost interest and been on the verge of giving up but she’s back in the interested/practices at home mindset at the moment.

The key is dedication - the group she started with is smaller now as a lot do drop out - persistence and practising at home is also important.

We are lucky it’s a great club with a family atmosphere and on a busy day there can be 40-50 people training. Sensi competed at the highest level and some of the current members have excellent achievement records in national and international competition. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well I still can’t quite believe it but tonight I was promoted to blue belt. 
    Was a night of hard rolling but worth it in the end. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    For reasons I'm still unsure of, I have entered the Hants and Dorset BJJ Open next Saturday.

Not yet bricking it but that will come for sure.. 
    how did you do?
    grungebob said:
    Well I still can’t quite believe it but tonight I was promoted to blue belt. 
    Was a night of hard rolling but worth it in the end. 

Huge congratulations, well done it's quite an achievement. Keep rolling, purple belt is only a couple of years away! 

grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    For reasons I'm still unsure of, I have entered the Hants and Dorset BJJ Open next Saturday.

Not yet bricking it but that will come for sure.. 
    how did you do?
    Silver. Won two matches by points and lost the final six points up with 90 seconds left to an Americana. I have never been so exhausted, brilliant experience though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Graded for my green belt in Japanese JJ last night - officially now a senior kyu :)

Only 3 more until 1st Dan Black Belt....!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Would have liked to have seen a big more of McGregor v Cerrone but you've got to admit those shoulder slams were impressive. To do the damage he did in the time he did it to a bigger man was quite amazing. 

I would love to see him rematch Khabib on top.form. The result may be similar but what a fight it would be. 
    It was a very impressive performance I thought. A lot of nay sayers claiming Cerrone is a washed up fighter paid to take the dive but I didn’t and don’t see it that way. 
    I’ll wait and see what Tony can do first to khabib 
    grungebob said:
    It was a very impressive performance I thought. A lot of nay sayers claiming Cerrone is a washed up fighter paid to take the dive but I didn’t and don’t see it that way. 
    I’ll wait and see what Tony can do first to khabib 
    Anyone who knows Cerrone knows he would only ever fight to the best of his ability. He's an absolute warrior,u but he may be on a steep decline.

Tony will be a real test for Khabib, both standing and on the ground. I can see him winning a decision.