The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Whoever said that Judo was a bag idea... Have a Wisdom .

I popped my knee tonight. Not my bad knee, my good one. At a&e finding out how bad it is.*
    Just a freak training accident. 

*Spoiler alert. It's BAD & sore. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Whoever said that Judo was a bag idea... Have a Wisdom .

I popped my knee tonight. Not my bad knee, my good one. At a&e finding out how bad it is.*

Bad luck mate. Hope it's not a long lay off for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    Ouch. 
    Fingers crossed it’s ok 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited February 2019
    Thanks folks .
    As expected, dislocated knee with slight damage to MCL. 
    Crutches, rest, ice then physio. 
    I've done the other knee a few times so know the drill .

It's going to make getting to work interesting... It's NORMALLY 10miles on my bicycle, I don't have a car & the bus is a 25min walk from home. 

God bless the NHS & all who sail in her. 
    Sorry to hear that. I hope the long term prognosis is favourable. 
    Does tour work provide sick pay? Maybe worth taking a few days/weeks off first if you can before attempting the dreaded public transport?
    Thanks folks .

It's going to make getting to work interesting... It's NORMALLY 10miles on my bicycle, I don't have a car & the bus is a 25min walk from home. 

Dislocation of the kneecap? 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Whoever said that Judo was a bag idea... Have a Wisdom .

Shit mate, sorry to hear that - I'm still on the mend from my 3 broken ribs via Judo. Fingers crossed it heals nice and quickly for you!

I'm seriously having second thoughts about it - all I hear about is how there's quite a lot of people who get injured during it. Thankfully, the class sensei has offered me private lessons while my ribs get back to being fully healed, to concentrate on footwork etc. Should be interesting, as I'm 6ft 5" and she's 4" 11.....
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Have you all tried not getting bits of you broken?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Thanks folks .

Dislocation of the kneecap? 
    Yup. Lots of ice, rest & Netflix for the next few days. One day in & I’m BORED! 
    Hopefully it’ll be fine- the Doc was sure everything is still attached (& not torn) so once the swelling is down we can assess how bad it really is. 
    Despite the brilliance of the service I got from the NHS I’ll probably see a private physio as I’m an impatient bugger & want to get rehabbing ASAP. 
  • Myranda said:
    It looks like English but makes no sense!!  :)
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    Myranda said:
    Yep...

It's nowhere near as much fun! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got JJ grading in a couple of weeks - how I'm going to do it, I'm not sure, as the ribs are still sore. Managed to do some forward rolls last Friday though which was good.

Also, there's another new starter in the class, and she's a lovely girl - but she just will not concentrate or shut-up. Constantly talking and disrupting others - pretty annoying and disrespectful. She also reckons she broke two ribs and her big toe, but is back training after a week.... I call BS!
    FarleyUK said:
    Got JJ grading in a couple of weeks - how I'm going to do it, I'm not sure, as the ribs are still sore. Managed to do some forward rolls last Friday though which was good.

Also, there's another new starter in the class, and she's a lovely girl - but she just will not concentrate or shut-up. Constantly talking and disrupting others - pretty annoying and disrespectful. She also reckons she broke two ribs and her big toe, but is back training after a week.... I call BS!
    Yeah sounds dodgy. Although they reckon women have a higher pain tolerance than men,but still bs. 

Just line up away  from her so at least she isn’t talking in your ear. 
    grungebob said:
    FarleyUK said:

Yeah sounds dodgy. Although they reckon women have a higher pain tolerance than men,but still bs. 

Just line up away  from her so at least she isn’t talking in your ear. 
    Yep, try to.

The other weird thing is that she seems to genuinely not feel pain - whenever anyone applies a lock, she NEVER taps. She doesn't feel it - even when one of the sensei's tries.

Pretty freaky.
    Wow that is freaky, even a knee bar or heel hook!?
    grungebob said:
    Not seen those applied yet, but shoulder and elbow locks don't faze her at all. Actually quite scary, as I can imagine something getting snapped suddenly.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited February 2019
    FarleyUK said:
    grungebob said:
    Not seen those applied yet, but shoulder and elbow locks don't faze her at all. Actually quite scary, as I can imagine something getting snapped suddenly.
    I wouldn't want to see leg attacks applied on someone like that- the margin between on & too much is razor thin. It's why they're not taught to beginners or allowed in competition till at least Blue. 

We had a guy like that at our club for a while, his nickname was (stretch) Armstrong- hypemobile in his joints. It was HORRIBLE to apply a technique and then see it go WAY past "normal". I used to just go for chokes on him... One day his shoulder did "let go" & he was out for a while. 
    Some folk see it as a matter of pride to never tap. Not me- if it's on, it's on. Tap & go again. 

I'm a little bit like that with Kimura's I just don't feel it. I've learned to see when it's on and tap, but it doesn't hurt at the shoulder. 

Presumably if she has a high pain threshold she won't mind being told to SHUT THE HELL UP while the prof is demonstrating a technique? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    grungebob said:
    I wouldn't want to see leg attacks applied on someone like that- the margin between on & too much is razor thin. It's why they're not taught to beginners or allowed in competition till at least Blue. 

We had a guy like that at our club for a while, his nickname was (stretch) Armstrong- hypemobile in his joints. It was HORRIBLE to apply a technique and then see it go WAY past "normal". I used to just go for chokes on him... One day his shoulder did "let go" & he was out for a while. 
    Some folk see it as a matter of pride to never tap. Not me- if it's on, it's on. Tap & go again. 
    Oh I agree but are you not teaching/ being taught the defences to such as white belts? I know we are, that way when I roll with higher belts I know how to at least defend. Same goes for calf slicers and wrist locks. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    grungebob said:
    FarleyUK said:
    grungebob said:

Oh I agree but are you not teaching/ being taught the defences to such as white belts? I know we are, that way when I roll with higher belts I know how to at least defend. Same goes for calf slicers and wrist locks. 
    Both bjj schools I've been with have had the same approach - white belts don't learn such locks... That thin line between ouch and broken/torn is too thin to trust people who might be uncoordinated/clumsy .. Or just too eager.

A lot of new martial artists think brute force is a substitute for skill... No one wants a torn tendon because someone want confident in their form so they just wanged a load more muscle into it (as happened to my rotator cuff...)

And because those aren't taught to white belts others wouldn't be allowed to do them on white belts  

As for the girl who doesn't feel pain, maybe she's hugely double jointed. If an arm can bend backwards, bending it backwards won't hurt ...