Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does Anybody REALLY consider their strings?

What's Hot

Comments

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Rickenbackers only sound like Rickenbackers with Compressed Round Wound strings. That's my only rule. I like changing makes to explore. Newtone seem to be my favourite at the moment. Also don't buy really cheap strings, false economy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I down tune so string guage is def a big factor. I do get more use out of coated strings but not enough to make it worthwhile so I'm in Ernie Ball heavy top skinny bottoms.

Btw does anyone know if heavier guage electric 12 string sets are a thing?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I am a long-time Ernie Ball Regular Slinky user.

I've just switched to the Curt Mangan Matt Schofield signature sets, and I really like them. They're nominally 11s, but with lighter middle strings. The gauges are:

11-14-18-28-38-54 - Curt Mangan Matt Schofield Signature
    11-15-22-30-42-54 - Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
    10-13-17-26-36-46 - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky

As you can see, the middle four strings of the CM set are roughly halfway between the EB Regular & Beefy.

As I said, I really like how they feel. Time will tell how long they last.

R.

I might try those Curt Mangan ones on my White Falcon.  It doesn't sound as good with 10s, but 11s on a 25.5" scale are quite hard work.  They might be a good compromise.

Alternatively, I might try some Newtones.  I think they have a set that are meant to be lower tension.

Apart from the Falcon, I just use D'Addario 10s on my electrics.  I've experimented more on my acoustics, but keep coming back to D'Addario Phosphor Bronze.

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    D'addario NYXLs these days after 20+ years using EB Slinkys. Feel loads better, keep brightness longer and last longer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Yes I always consider strings. When I buy a new guitar I co through string gauges and brands until I find what works for Me on That guitar. Once I find something I like I can stock up in bulk and change strings as often as I like/need. But now I've got half a dozen guitars my string stock needs managing so it doesn't get huge, luckily the same strings suit more than one guitar.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    I play Thomastik Infield flat wounds with a wound third but then again I'm just weird :) ...

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    After more years than I care to remember I have settled on 9.5’s for Strats and 10.5’s for Les Pauls, all D’addarIo
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    I've tried EB regulars, Paradigms (waste of money IMO) and Rotosounds, but I've used NYXL's for a while now and love them. Just moved from the 11s to the 10 - 52 set, and they're brilliant.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    DavidRees said:
    I play Thomastik Infield flat wounds with a wound third but then again I'm just weird :) ...

No, you are sensible - so do I!
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2018

I prefer the tension and feel of D'addario 10-46 EXL strings on my guitars, they are just far easier to bend. A set can last up to about 2 months for me which is great. I've tried Elixirs (Feel too stiff and slippy), EB Slinkys (Only last about a week for me).

I buy my sets in batches of 10 which will more or less last me for a year. I bought my last batch from Bax Shop. £40 for 10 sets is a bit of a bargain.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm not that bothered. I get any relatively cheap set. I don't go for the dirt cheap ones as they don't last. Strings can stay for years on my guitars, I change them one at a time when they break. I hate putting zingy new strings on!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    tekbow said:
    Blind test, perhaps if played on the same guitar with the sane amp settings. Best way to do it would be to record, which I may just do at some point like I did with tubes.

Your mileage may vary, but Line 6 amps would not be my first choice when tone-testing anything...

https://cdn.instructables.com/FP7/F1QB/FXETS7TV/FP7F1QBFXETS7TV.RECTANGLE1.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    DLM said:
    tekbow said:
    Blind test, perhaps if played on the same guitar with the sane amp settings. Best way to do it would be to record, which I may just do at some point like I did with tubes.

Your mileage may vary, but Line 6 amps would not be my first choice when tone-testing anything...

https://cdn.instructables.com/FP7/F1QB/FXETS7TV/FP7F1QBFXETS7TV.RECTANGLE1.jpg

Auto-correct shafts me again...

• I’m one of those odd characters for who pre packaged sets are not quite right. I like a set comprising of 9, 11, 15, 26, 36 and 46 gauges. I usually buy a 10-46 set of D’Addario strings and replace the first and third with custom gauge D’Addrio or E Balls. It’s a real pain but I just prefer things that way.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    I use D'Addario or Rotosound 10s. I can't hear or feel any difference between the 2.
  • I never really cared before I first tried Curt Mangan strings. Now I don't use anything-else. They just stay livelier for longer.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • GabrielGabriel Frets: 25
    I was endorsed by Newtone for a while but have just been using D'addario 10s as I can get them anywhere in the world and know exactly what to expect. 
  • Over the years I've tried every gauge from 8s up to 11s - all in standard tuning.  

I've settled on D'Addario NYXL 8 - 38.  They stay in tune better than any of the Ernie Ball 8s and they last longer too.  
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Most of my guitars are tuned down 4 steps so use 54s. In was using eb beefy that are 11-54 but recently got so dunlop 12s. At home I can leave strings on for years sometimes as it doesnt really matter. Live, I'd never do more than 2 gigs on a set of strings so either we how long strings last is not much of an issue for me. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    For 100 years I was happy to use one make of guitar pick and then I had the daft idea of trying something different.
    Now I have gone through dozens of types of picks and I'm not as happy as I was and the original picks don't feel as nice.
    I ain't about to do the same thing with my happy strings!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom