Modes how the Beatles used them . . . .

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 604
. . . . I very much doubt the Beatles thought let's flatten the 7th that diminished is awful although George Martin may have done ;-). Anyway, I have seen so many people (including myself) complicate modes. They are basically just different intervals with different flavours, nothing magical. I like how this young chap analyses the use of modes by the Beatles but not from a complex study just why it sounded better. Hope this is of interest to the goodly folk here on tfb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-c_Q0jY0Gs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Very nicely explained.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2018
    Yep. Modes can appear confusing. But they’re not. They’re just scales:

The major modes:

Ionian: major scale

Lydian: like major but with a raised 4th, eg “flying in a blue dream”. Lydian songs tend to have a major II chord. 

Mixolydian: like major but with a lowered 7th, eg “sweet home alabama (in D)”. Mixolydian songs tend to have a “flat VII chord”

———————-

The minor modes:

Aeolian: natural minor scale

Dorian: like minor but with a raised 6th, eg  “drunken sailor”. Dorian songs are minor but tend to have a major IV chord. 

Phrygian: like minor but with a lowered 2nd, eg “white rabbit”. Phrygian songs tend to have a minor vii chord. 

—————————

The fact that one scale is a “mode” of another is the next level of complexity. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This is awesome info @viz
    The "tend to" guidance will certainly help me write vamps to practice hearing the modes.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    This is awesome info @viz
    The "tend to" guidance will certainly help me write vamps to practice hearing the modes.

Awesome, good luck :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom