Scrambler - my new project

What's Hot
I've been focusing most of my energy on writing for my band recently, however I've found that it doesn't give an outlet for my more melancholic tendencies... So I've decided to start a solo project (Scrambler) which will give me somewhere to go with tunes in this style. I'm calling it instrumental dream rock...

Here's the debut recording... Be kind - my mixing knowledge is limited...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Link not working for me....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    @spark240 thanks for pointing this out - the link was changed after posting. Try this.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Bud, I like this kind of vibe, but it does go on a bit ?

Im not really sure what where its going, its a sort of never ending build up to....?

Its a nice mix, but again I cant really tell whats in there...maybe thats the intention? 

What instruments / DAW are you using?  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • This sounds great but it sounds like a really long crescendo to a song, maybe try cutting it down and having a really minimal intro and building into what you already have?
    @spark240 cheers. It was recorded using Reaper, various free plugins, and EZ-Drummer 2. Guitars wise - it's my Manta Ray, JM partscaster, and Tokai Jazz. I use various pedals (nothing special) and a Joyo American Sound for amp duties.

Mix wise - it's half and half - partly intentional for things to be hidden in mix - partly that my mixing skills are pretty hit and miss - I know very little about about use of EQ and Compression effectively. Things like the e-bow guitar doesn't sit the way I want it for example. I do intend to re-visit the mix once I've recorded more tracks - I'll then really focus on learning and improving my mixing skills - at the moment it's all about the writing and recording.

@jonnygreentrees thanks for the feedback - I'll bear that in mind when I listen to it again with fresh ears! Although it will always be instrumental - all my music is nowadays.
    @ewal - check out Joe Gilder, Johnny Gieb and Warren Huart for good mix tips 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting you both mentioned the length and going nowhere. I know the point in the song that it is crescendo'ing to. It obviously doesn't stand out enough dynamically. Good feedback - I'll make a note of that for my next mix attempt.
  • ewal said:
    @spark240 cheers. It was recorded using Reaper, various free plugins, and EZ-Drummer 2. Guitars wise - it's my Manta Ray, JM partscaster, and Tokai Jazz. I use various pedals (nothing special) and a Joyo American Sound for amp duties.

Mix wise - it's half and half - partly intentional for things to be hidden in mix - partly that my mixing skills are pretty hit and miss - I know very little about about use of EQ and Compression effectively. Things like the e-bow guitar doesn't sit the way I want it for example. I do intend to re-visit the mix once I've recorded more tracks - I'll then really focus on learning and improving my mixing skills - at the moment it's all about the writing and recording.

@jonnygreentrees thanks for the feedback - I'll bear that in mind when I listen to it again with fresh ears! Although it will always be instrumental - all my music is nowadays.
    sorry I shouldn't have used the word "song", I love instrumental music. I just mean to start out with very sparse music and use what you already have as the crescendo of the piece
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I liked this a lot - quite happy with the shape of the song and the dynamics. The only thing I'd change (based on my personal preferences) is almost adding more and more layers towards the end, building a wall of noise, but then I'm an idiot. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    I liked this a lot - quite happy with the shape of the song and the dynamics. The only thing I'd change (based on my personal preferences) is almost adding more and more layers towards the end, building a wall of noise, but then I'm an idiot. 
    Thanks! You're the guy that mentioned Caspian, so you'll maybe know partly where I'm coming from. And yeah, I get the wall of noise idea - but it's something that I'm wary might be a clique for me - alot of the music I've been involved with ends with over the top outro! But yeah, it does fit the story of the tune - the working title was 'Sometimes it sneaks up behind you and hits hard' :)
    ewal said:

sorry I shouldn't have used the word "song", I love instrumental music. I just mean to start out with very sparse music and use what you already have as the crescendo of the piece
    Totally get what you mean - it is almost but not quite a crescendo piece with layers upon layer being added. However it maybe lacks an obvious pay off.
    ewal said:
    joetele said:
    Thanks! You're the guy that mentioned Caspian, so you'll maybe know partly where I'm coming from. And yeah, I get the wall of noise idea - but it's something that I'm wary might be a clique for me - alot of the music I've been involved with ends with over the top outro! But yeah, it does fit the story of the tune - the working title was 'Sometimes it sneaks up behind you and hits hard' :)
    I certainly do get it - and I can't wait to hear more. In fact, just send them directly to my inbox please :) 

I don't think it necessarily needs an obvious payoff - it can be a kind of ethereal space to exist in for five minutes. But it's all subjective I guess. 

I would say that, after listening to so much ambient / post rock stuff and as such getting a bit bored by it, this didn't bore me or do the usual "oh, it's just more generic post rock" thing that happens to me when I find another band on Youtube. I found it engaging and want to hear more.  
    Cheers! That's exactly where I'm trying to go with this. Ambient/post-rock (or whatever) but avoiding the cliques.
    ewal said:
    Cheers! That's exactly where I'm trying to go with this. Ambient/post-rock (or whatever) but avoiding the cliques.
    Keep on keeping on with it - I'm definitely interested to hear more. 
    New Scrambler coming soon. Currently got a tune across with a mixing engineer in Portland. Found him on Fiverr.com which is a decent site for that sort of thing.
    Here's my new tune. I'm really happy with the way the mix turned out. From 3.11 to 3.42 is maybe the best piece of music I've written:) Well I think so anyway!

ewal said:
    Here's my new tune. I'm really happy with the way the mix turned out. From 3.11 to 3.42 is maybe the best piece of music I've written:) Well I think so anyway!

This is BRILLIANT. Feels like a proper complete song and I can't wait for an album full of this. 

Who played the horn parts and drum parts? 

Thanks! The drums are EZ Drummer, the horns are sampled too although I play trombone and know a few brass players so might record live tracks at some point.

So good getting positive feedback, gives me motivation to keep at it!
    ewal said:
    Thanks! The drums are EZ Drummer, the horns are sampled too although I play trombone and know a few brass players so might record live tracks at some point.

So good getting positive feedback, gives me motivation to keep at it!
    To your credit, those drums and horns sound like live version. I think this one feels like a really complete track with lots of dynamics and an arc to it. So now you need to create a whole album :) 

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I could happily play on, if only to add little extra highlights and ambient sounds over the top. Really cracking, sounds like a pro band and like you've been doing it all your life. 
    Thanks so much. The album will take a while, but that's the plan. The challenge is to create a consistent collection of tracks both in terms of style and quality.

I'll definitely be going back to the guy that mixed this - what he's done with the drums and bottom end is really different to how I imagined it. But I think it adds a lot to the track.