Finding a good teacher

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
Hi guys, 

Looking for some advice on how to find a good teacher. There are tons out there but as I've experienced, a lot are just going though the motions. One I had recently literally just put some Tab in front of me and read it out. That was a £30 lesson. 

I'm looking for someone who will take time to understand where I'm at, where I need development to progress and then make a plan/schedule to achieve that. 

I'm based in the Wimbledon area and happy to travel to or receive lessons at home. 

Thanks  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited October 2018
    Hi there I'm based in West London (near Heathrow Airport) and have been teaching for 10 years.

I'd be looking for these things in a tutor if I was to seek tuition myself:

- Background/Experience: they need to have done it for a while (at least 10-15 years) and know what they're doing with different types of learner. I want to see they've trained somewhere like a music school or academy. A good tutor will also be able to spot bad habits/mistakes/technique from the off.

- Patience: Will work with you to achieve results instead of just randomly churning out useless material and leaving you to it.

- Structure: similar to above but will work on things they feel you need to work on to get you where you want to be. Actually plan lessons around your goals/tastes.

- Motivation: Will keep you interested and motivated to practice and improve. Also playing with another person makes sure you're playing correctly, in tune and in time.

- Actual skill in knowing how to teach: Just cos you're a good guitar player doesn't always mean you're a good teacher. Actually teaching and demonstrating well whilst applying concepts is essential, and showing students how to practice. And also knowing what you want as a learner, not what they like doing. No use if they're into metalcore and you want to do fingerpicking.
    And I like practicality, I don't talk much in my lessons and its very interactive. Alot of it is my learner playing.
    I don't like using books or other people's resources either (Unless they're doing grades). I don't believe in "one-size-fits-all" approaches, instead I work with the individual's ability level and taste and put my own material together to suit.

I will say the mid-priced/higher end tutors tend to be better as they will put more thought and effort into their service as opposed to the teenager/early 20 year old guys charging cheap fees for a bit of pocket money. Also the higher charging tutors tend to be doing it full-time or balancing it with other music related work as opposed to part-time working another day-job. You want a tutor who is passionate about their work and aren't just tutoring out of necessity, like a lot of ones out there.

I teach via Skype if the distance is too far as well, just thought I'd put that in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JJWJJW Frets: 11
    Hello. I teach guitar but unfortunately I'm some distance ( Welling Kent ) I'm an older guitarist I'm 67 I learnt to play in days
    before the internet and using TAB. Lots of people will disagree with me but I don't do TAB and my reason is that using TAB is
    visual and if your going to use TAB you may as well learn to read music ! Music to me is something we hear and it's important
    to be able to hear what is going on in a piece of music and use your ears to learn a song. There is no harm checking out some
    of the videos on you tube there are some good players there. So I would say develope your ear.
    The other thing I do when I teach is to teach what the student wants to learn because it holds the interest of the student and
    they know what they want to play and work towards playing something they want to play.
    Even if there is a style I can't play I can learn and explain how to do it then it's up to the student to work on it.
    Theory comes up a lot and I admit there are a lot of people who know far more than me but you don't need to get hung up on
    too much theory ! Scales is another one yes they help butI saw someone on this website ask about which scale for reggae
    playing reggae ( hope I spelt that correctly ) is more about feel as is blues, Also funk players like Nile Rogers have feel
    It's something you develope and feel by using your ears.
    Depending on what stage of learning guitar your at I would say you can dothe basic bit without a teacher just do the basics
    yourself ! learn to play chords with variations on fingering then learn the chord inversions on the neck this is a star because
    scales and modes play of these inversions ( check out Nile Rogers ) The best way to find teacher to teach you I think is just
    to ask them the learn a song of your choice and ask them to teach you the song. Avoid TAB just get them to show you the
    song and explain the why and how it's played if they say they don't teach that way find a techer who will.
    I hope this makes sense ! Good luck with your playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Barnezy said:

I'm based in the Wimbledon area and happy to travel to or receive lessons at home. 

Based on other topical discussion here, how would you feel about making a voluntary donation to the conversion of your teacher's garage into a bespoke studio for your lessons?

Were I looking for lessons in London, I'd probably be knocking at Martin Goulding's door, but I'm a metalhead... \m/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    If you already know the basics go Skype I reckon. The only downside is you can't jam but you save a lot of time. I went through two tutors and then landed on Bob Balch and did a year with him. Made a lot of progress in that time
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    Does Skype really work for lessons? Willing to give it a go. 

BTW thanks to the detailed responses to this question, really appreciated and I will respond shortly. 
    Barnezy said:

BTW thanks to the detailed responses to this question, really appreciated and I will respond shortly. 

Sure. Not for everything, but this might give you an idea:

Teacher in Germany, student in US.

This ear training stuff seems like some mystical art to me. Should really get on to it! 
  • Barnezy said:

I've done Skype lessons with someone in Italy before, the inability to real time jam is the only snag but its doable. Just one person plays first then the other. Lesson notes can be sent via PDF and backing tracks etc. You will save a lot in travel costs and will have more motivation to attend your lessons as its in the comfort of your own home.
    Barnezy said:
    This ear training stuff seems like some mystical art to me. Should really get on to it! 

There are apps for that these days.

I've been far too lazy with it, too, but one thing I do every year is play as many Christmas carols from memory as I can.

Any tune you know well, work out how to play it.

"S'what Guthrie Govan did. Eggxacxxxxchtthly!" [/Scouse accent]

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
     will have more motivation to attend your lessons as its in the comfort of your own home.
    I'm not sure I agree with this.  I'm a total beginner but I find going to my tutor means that he not only has all the materials he uses at his fingertips but everything is already (permanently) set up.

I don't want to try and learn in my home as I only have very basic equipment and too many distractions.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Barnezy said:

I’ve been having skype lessons for 3 years now, they are totally excellent, so long as your teacher has all the material to hand - backing tracks, sheet music etc. He/she can IM the links to you as you work, and you just open them - it works really well if you’re both sufficiently technologically capable. I absolutely heartily recommend skype if getting the right teacher is important to you and distance is the only stumbling block. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited October 2018
    Paul7926 said:
     will have more motivation to attend your lessons as its in the comfort of your own home.
    I'm not sure I agree with this.  I'm a total beginner but I find going to my tutor means that he not only has all the materials he uses at his fingertips but everything is already (permanently) set up.

I don't want to try and learn in my home as I only have very basic equipment and too many distractions.
    Well this does depend how far you live from your tutor, if you're in another country then it won't be possible to travel but I get what you mean. That's why I discourage home visits for ones who can travel don't want to.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I really struggle with the whole "should I get a teacher?" thing.

I've been playing a few years and progressing at a snail's pace. During that time I have had periods of seeing teachers and periods without them. 

Comparing the "with-teachers" to the "without-teachers" periods, I'm not sure there has been any measurable difference in my speed of progress.

Intellectually, it seems that I ought to have a teacher. In almost any field, even the highest achievers have coaches/teachers/mentors of some description. 

But on a practical level, I seem to experience no measurable benefit, it's hassle to physically get to lessons and schedule the time away from my family, I get anxious about completing my "homework" which takes away some of the fun/relaxation for me and, of course, there is a £ cost.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    PS The idea of Skype lessons is even more unattractive.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    jellyroll said:
    I really struggle with the whole "should I get a teacher?" thing.

I've been playing a few years and progressing at a snail's pace. During that time I have had periods of seeing teachers and periods without them. 

Comparing the "with-teachers" to the "without-teachers" periods, I'm not sure there has been any measurable difference in my speed of progress.

Intellectually, it seems that I ought to have a teacher. In almost any field, even the highest achievers have coaches/teachers/mentors of some description. 

But on a practical level, I seem to experience no measurable benefit, it's hassle to physically get to lessons and schedule the time away from my family, I get anxious about completing my "homework" which takes away some of the fun/relaxation for me and, of course, there is a £ cost.
    I'm sure it's a case of each individual finding what works best for them.

Now In my case I find my teacher invaluable but not for the reasons I thought I would when I first started.  What I'm finding is that whilst he obviously knows his stuff, directs my learning and answers my questions it's the feedback and encouragement that makes such a huge difference.  

I think it's as important to find a teacher that you get along with, understands what you want to get out of learning the guitar and is happy to help you towards that goal as it is looking at musical credentials.
    @Paul7926 @jellyroll Mention of "highest achievers" reminded me of Guthrie Govan interviews where he's said people spend too much time and money on lessons and tuition material and not enough on playing and listening. If you want to explore this line of thought, I'd recommend the text-heavy parts of his Creative Guitar books, the first one especially. I love his writing. Of course, not everyone is a freakish genius savant, but I think Paul is right in this thread with the "different strokes for different folks" thing. To quote another freakish genius savant, Yngwie J Malmsteen: "Use your ears!"
  • Its all a case of if the teacher is right for you and your needs. They could be the most amazing tutor in terms of skill and experience but their methods and style may not suit particular learners. Some people simply don't like someone else telling what to do or another person watching them play. I've had a few learners who claim to have practiced a lot of home but in front of me they fall apart, and can't play the piece. Maybe its the consciousness that someone else is watching them that affects them I don't know.

Others however actually need a kick up the arse and for someone to organise stuff around them, what songs to play, what to practice where to go next, etc etc. I've had this success with multiple people who just need a sense of direction. There's many YouTube videos and other resources but its all one method. I can see what a learner needs to be doing and if they're doing it properly, and I will check on them the next lesson. Some people want that kinda approach, some don't and see it as nagging. Everyone is different.

Paul sorta nailed it with his comment above:

"I think it's as important to find a teacher that you get along with, understands what you want to get out of learning the guitar and is happy to help you towards that goal as it is looking at musical credentials"

I've had students come to me instead of an older more experienced tutor because I get along with more and have some rapport. Teenagers think its cool I play in a rock band and stuff. School guitar teachers have tend to be retired 65 something blokes into 12-bar-blues and classical pieces. Try relating to a teenager! Haha.

• Barnezy said:

I never thought Skype would work for lessons until I started taking lessons via Skype a few months ago.  I have found it to be a positive experience, although it's a little daunting at first when you're playing in front of a world class player.

I would really recommend them and this is coming from me who hadn't had a lesson in 18 years!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I'm expecting to try a Skype lesson too soon. My hunch is a 1-2-1 would always be better, but a Skype with the teacher of your choice is much better than no lesson.

@Barnezy I'm due to have a first lesson with a new teacher not far from you this week. I'll let you know how it goes on PM.

Thanks, much appreciated