Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tele buying buying advice needed, all your Baja owners.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 923
edited October 2018 in Guitar
I have had over the years 5 telecasters. 2 American standards, Roadworn Mexican, Hotrod and a 64 American vintage reissue. But never really bonded with any of them, so moved everyone on. Over the last few weeks I've got the urge again to buy another Tele, but don't want to spend a lot. I've heard great things about Squier 52 vintage reissue teles, was wondering what others should be on my radar to try. Any advice very welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe try a used 72 or 69 Telecaster Thinline, Mexican or US, great guitars! 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    Classic Vibe :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923

Yeah that's the one i'm most interested in.
    pity your so far away @markj ;
    you could have borrowed mine for a few days see if its suits 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12508
    There is/was a G&L bluesboy in the classifieds for £350 ish which I would buy if I was getting a tele, US made pickups, humbucker in the neck and the G&L I had was very well made.
    I

I've got 3 humbucker guitars, looking for trad tele with singlecoils.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If you're going for new, it's hard to beat the Classic Vibe for value. I'm not massively keen on the really glossy neck, personally, but obviously that's a personal thing. And something you can deal with if you're happy to get the fine sandpaper out.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332

Seconded.

Also, although I'm yet to try one myself, but I see a lot of love for the Baja Telecaster on here & elsewhere. I'm sure they can be had second hand for not too much more than a new CV, so I'd maybe keep an eye out for those.

What do you find so special about it ?
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Fender MIM Classic 60s is wonderful. I found one on Gumtree for £350 - the necks on the Classic series in general are impressive. 
    markj said:

It just fits, I can’t quite put my finger on anyone thing but the neck profile is great, it has the right amount of twang just like a Tele should, I had a Baja and sold it, preferred the CV 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    My MIM standard is just a delight it felt right from the first chord I played on it - I can't recommend them enough it is just spot on :)
  • markj said:

It just fits, I can’t quite put my finger on anyone thing but the neck profile is great, it has the right amount of twang just like a Tele should, I had a Baja and sold it, preferred the CV 
    I bought a Classic Vibe last month from a bloke who was keeping a Baja as he preferred it.I played them side by side and they sounded the same to my ears , the CV neck was a fair bit thinner which I wasn't overly keen on but I can live with that for the sound and the price.
    markj said:

I bought a Classic Vibe last month from a bloke who was keeping a Baja as he preferred it.I played them side by side and they sounded the same to my ears , the CV neck was a fair bit thinner which I wasn't overly keen on but I can live with that for the sound and the price.
    That’s part of why I preferred the Classic Vibe. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9553
    The neck on a baja really isn’t massive. It’s chunky but more like a 52 than a nocaster. That would be my choice. If remains the best and most versatile guitar anyone makes south of a grand. You should be able to pick one up used for £450-500.
    If you want a thinner neck, the 60s baja is Ok if you want 9.5 radius, but if you can deal with 7.25, I’d go Mexican classic series 60s, especially if you can find a lacquer version. 

With repsect to above, if you think a classic vibe sounds like a baja, you need new ears. The pickups and wiring options are very different.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want a REALLY budget option... 
    I've heard MANY good things about Affinity Teles. I've not got one, but a Telecaster is a simple beast at heart. 

The other option I DO have a lot of experience of. Harley Benton TE52. I bought one for the modding challenge several years ago. 
    Admittedly I modded it quite a lot, but the original guitar was a good Tele. With the mods I've done it's become my favourite guitar & has seen off several Fenders. Not bad for a guitar that cost me well under £300 all in. 

https://imgur.com/a/gXdfg
  • chris78 said:
    The neck on a baja really isn’t massive. It’s chunky but more like a 52 than a nocaster. That would be my choice. If remains the best and most versatile guitar anyone makes south of a grand. You should be able to pick one up used for £450-500.
    If you want a thinner neck, the 60s baja is Ok if you want 9.5 radius, but if you can deal with 7.25, I’d go Mexican classic series 60s, especially if you can find a lacquer version. 

With repsect to above, if you think a classic vibe sounds like a baja, you need new ears. The pickups and wiring options are very different.
    You wouldn't be the first to say I need new ears tbf.  I used to have a Baja so know all about the S1 switching so didn't bother messing around with that when I tried them together. I was just more interested in the feel and basic sounds and to my shoddy ears there wasn't much in it.
  • The Classic Vibe has got to be a strong contender if you don’t mind a thinner neck. The pickups are very good and the guitar is well finished and not too heavy.
    The Classic Vibe has got to be a strong contender if you don’t mind a thinner neck. The pickups are very good and the guitar is well finished and not too heavy.
    But only if you need your ears checked 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom