Favourite True Story Film?

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    edited November 2018
    24 Hour Party People. There are some liberties but Coogan's portrayal of (An)T(h)ony (H) Wilson is an affectionate one. The 30 grand meeting table scene is worth the price of admission on it's own.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Dam Busters .. The RAF got four Lancaster bombers out of mothballs, Barns Wallis was an adviser. A big liberty was taken with Gibson seeing lights at the theatre and realising that two beams of light could be used to ensure the planes were at the right height for the attack run. Coastal Command had been using this technique for years to drop mines.

Good film though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    A beautiful mind springs to mind!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Rocco Invades Poland (NSFW)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Waterloo is another good film .. cost a fortune to make. To save money the battle scenes were filmed in Russia. The government supplied 17,000 soldiers and a full brigade of cavalry ad built numerous buildings. Some amazing battle scenes in the pre-CGI days. The full version of the film that was shown in Russia is nearly 4 hours long.

This cavalry attack must have taken some planning ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
     No Direction Home  Martin Scorsese
      10 Rillington place    Richard fleisher (Ludovic Kennedy) the one with Richard Attenborough.

• United 93
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    The Great Escape.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    BigMonka said:

Catch me if you can. One of my favourite films. I've watched several talks on YouTube by Frank Abagnale Jr ( the man on whom the film is based) and he's very interesting. 
    I couldn't agree more about Catch Me If You Can. It's a great film, a brilliant story, and then to top it off it's also based on a true story!
    Great movie. Love the visual story telling shot of all the model airplanes in the bath tub.
  • Fargo
    I was going to suggest the same, with the following condition. Despite it saying “based on a true story” at the start,it’s not actually. Although that certainly adds to the “oh my god” factor when watching. The Coen brothers just stuck that in for effect, and when someone said “you can’t do that” they said “yes you can, it’s the movies” 
    I know its work of fiction with a small seed of fact at its centre, but hey, since when has the truth been allowed to get in the way of a good movie! 

The problem with most true stories in film are they are someone's version of the truth, be that the director or the screenwriter, and may only give a passing nod to the actual story. But I guess liberties have to be taken somewhere to condense a story down to 2 hours and keep it interesting all the way through! 

Going back to the OP and Hacksaw Ridge, after reading about Desmond Doss,  his achievements sound just as impressive as those portrayed in the film. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited November 2018
    'Man On Wire'

Brazen daring, spectacular and terrifying...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_Wire

• 'Oiled Up Anal Anger 2'

I bet you can't guess what it's about?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Withnail And I
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Sharknado
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JFK - although that's debatable. 

Hell or Highwater.

Zero Dark Thirty - especially the final bit of live events during the siege of Osama's hidden complex.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    JFK - although that's debatable.
    I liked the way JFK disproves its own theory by showing the Zapruder film near the end. I'd never seen it at that resolution before but when you see it in slow motion on the big screen it's blindingly obvious that the bullet came from above and behind.

But that may be a subject for another thread ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    JFK - although that's debatable.
    I liked the way JFK disproves its own theory by showing the Zapruder film near the end. I'd never seen it at that resolution before but when you see it in slow motion on the big screen it's blindingly obvious that the bullet came from above and behind.

But that may be a subject for another thread ;).
    Absolutely - someone will necrobump that one sometime soon I'm sure. ;-)

Still - good film and touched on some other theories too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

Still - good film and touched on some other theories too.
    Yes, a good film regardless of Oliver Stone's agenda - and some great performances from Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones and Kevin Costner.

+1 for Apollo 13 mentioned earlier on too. Very well-made and manages to keep the suspense up even though you know they survived.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Rubber
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2407
    Man on Fire - awesome Denzel film that I didnt realise was true until the end which was a shock!
    That was based on a true story?! Jesus... that film is brutal!

My favourite true story films happen to have Leonardo DiCaprio in – Catch Me if You Can, The Wolf of Wall Street (arguably the most enjoyable 3 hour film ever made – "The Cerebral Palsy Stage" scene gets me every time), and one of his earlier movies about drug addiction, The Basketball Diaries.

The Founder was good too. Having worked for McDonald's during my youth it was interesting to get an insight of how it all began, and how McDonaldization has come into existence.

I also enjoyed Warhose. Pretty moving and very well directed. But it's Spielberg, so no surprises there.