Oil City: Coming soon ... active mount humbuckers

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
edited December 2018 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

A look at the process that happens in designing brand new pickups: here our popular Blackbird humbuckers are being re-designed to fit into active mount 'soap bar' covers. What you see here are bobbins and baseplate prototypes cut from thin MDF to check the fit before plugs are made to drill the covers for the 'hex bolts'. 

The next stage will be to fabricate all this again in the correct materials for the finished pickups ... in this case to fit a Strandburg Boden. 

Eventually all our humbuckers will be available in this mount as well as traditional humbucker size.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Ash. I can’t see your picture
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Ash. I can’t see your picture
    Hummm that's odd ... let me in investigate
    Sorted :-) 

Our bobbin making techniques ... developed for Stone Wolf Guitars ... mean we can produce humbuckers in any string spacing, for any number of strings. This allows us to handle the quirky nature of some string spacing for extended range and multiscale guitars. the final bobbins are cut and machined from compressed, vulcanised fibre ... the same stuff as single coil flatwork (or even constructed from clear resin on some pickups).
    Oh, due to the high demand for Oil City I've had to take on an assistant again , and after much hunting I found 'Honey' so those of you who phone me may well hear her dulcet tones ... so play nice :-)  We are back to being a two man and one woman operation, and this will mean I can spend more time in development work for new models!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader

A new, custom 7 string bobbin ready to be wound