Ways to Improve Timing

What's Hot
I’m hoping people can share a few ways in which to improve timing. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I learned when I was 14 by playing most of the Sex Pistols repetoire with a drummer in my local youth club. Steve Jones is a machine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    Try to stomp your foot in time whilst playing but avoid stomping what your playing.  I picked this up from Paul Gilbert on the Artistworks site and it's really helped me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are a number of options. Use a metronome, tap your feet as @neilg said or nod your head, count in your head as you're playing, play along with a song, or play with a good drummer if you get the chance. If you're looking at odd time signatures, counting the beats becomes even more important. (I found some good odd time signature videos from bass players on YouTube which helped me).
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Actually tapping my foot helped me. I thought I could just count in my head but it never worked well when I was trying to concentrate on playing. Felt silly at first but it did help. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    Thanks guys. I do tap my foot. I think where I struggle is when there a large gaps between notes, as I don’t tend to count. I was playing Albatross by Fleetwood Mac the other day and it sarts on the 4 and then there are odd sized gaps between notes. I typically ended up coming in early. 

Are there any specific exercises anyone can recommend, that I can add to my routine? 
  • @Barnezy , please forgive me if I come across as patronising, have you done any picking exercises?
    edited December 2018
    I probably should have been clearer when I said stomping meaning physical lifting your foot off the ground and stomping it back down rather than just tapping.

This video gives you an example, at the start and again a bit slower around 3:25

Thanks. 

This isn’t a picking thing. It’s when there’s a gap of 2 beats or more then the next note comes in on the “and”. I tend to come in early. 
    Yeah, coming in on the "and" is something I'm working on but I do think stomping helps.
  • Barnezy said:
    Thanks. 

This isn’t a picking thing. It’s when there’s a gap of 2 beats or more then the next note comes in on the “and”. I tend to come in early. 
    So it is not a picking thing, which would mean that you are picking the strings on time and hitting the notes which are needed to be hit, when they need to be hit?   

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited December 2018
    Barnezy said:
    ... I was playing Albatross by Fleetwood Mac the other day and it starts on the 4 and then there are odd sized gaps between notes. I typically ended up coming in early. 

Barnezy said:

...This isn’t a picking thing. It’s when there’s a gap of 2 beats or more then the next note comes in on the “and”. I tend to come in early. 

Albatross has a triplet swing feel (i.e. a shuffle). So, if I chose to count it, it would be 1 & ah, 2 & ah..., where the off beats land on the 'ah', which is obviously later than a straight off beat. Would counting it that way help you?

It's not a competition.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    You could look into this:

That would help, but specific to your example, OP:

Victor Wooten also often demonstrates an excercise where one removes beats from a loop of several beats or bars, replacing them with silence. The challenge then is to still come back in on the "one" (or whatever). After a few bars of silence (against which you keep playing), it's a real challenge for your "inner clock".
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Al di Meola advocates tapping the foot and his rhythm is flabbergasting:

https://youtu.be/TZ4FZ80Qdd8
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited December 2018
    haha @barnezy we must have the same teacher! ;-)

one tip I saw was to play to a metronome set to half speed, so you have to play notes in the gaps. so that's a simple version of @DLM's suggestion I guess.
    DLM said:
    You could look into this:

That would help, but specific to your example, OP:

Victor Wooten also often demonstrates an excercise where one removes beats from a loop of several beats or bars, replacing them with silence. The challenge then is to still come back in on the "one" (or whatever). After a few bars of silence (against which you keep playing), it's a real challenge for your "inner clock".
    I guess that is this exercise. https://youtu.be/DahIXjUiGBk 
    viz said:
    Al di Meola advocates tapping the foot and his rhythm is flabbergasting:

https://youtu.be/TZ4FZ80Qdd8
    This guy is spot on and example 3 is exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks for sharing. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    What really helped me was to use a shaker on my strumming hand while practicing. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Yeah, that Davids video talks about what I remembered from the Wooten clinic. Lots of other people have suggested the same thing, dunno where Wooten got it from or where it originated.
  • Something that helped me a lot, when I was doing a lot of cross picking, was if the pick goes down on a downbeat (and up on an upbeat), it's possible to mark time by waggling the pick up and down but it doesn't make contact with the string. And counting out loud. And definitely metronome, otherwise we tend to edit time to make things easier for ourselves.
  • Metronome, drum loop programmes, anything with a beat to play along to. Work on your rhythm subdivisions, quarter/eighths, alternate strums, triplets etc, without losing your place in the bar, or music, etc. Playing with other people is a good way but if not then do it in digital format, and always play along to the original recording if learning songs to get an ear of feel and counting. For some reason many people find it hard to count 1,2,3,4, and clap on wrong parts of the "pulse" e.g audience members clapping on 1 and 3. Instead of 2 and 4.