SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtb- Hughes and Kettner Statesman

What's Hot
Hey all!

anyone looking to shift one of these as a reasoanble price?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I have the head and the 6l6 combo. Love them both, but not for sale. There are some nice ones on eBay at the moment tho.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    +1 for the Dual 6L6 combo.  

I'm on my second one after foolishly selling the first and it is the best all round Fender & Marshall in one box solution I've yet come across.  And with the 2x12 extension cab added it makes for rather a formidable rig. 
  • thomasw88;216745" said:
    I have the head and the 6l6 combo. Love them both, but not for sale. There are some nice ones on eBay at the moment tho.
    Have seen the ones on eBay but they're asking to much for them.

As you guys have them. Is there a major volume jump when switching from the clean channel to the od channel? Read a review where they said that was the case ?

Not to worried if I can't get a statesman as I have my eye on a switchblade combo too.

Thanks guys
    edited April 2014
    thomasw88;216745" said:
    Have seen the ones on eBay but they're asking to much for them.

As you guys have them. Is there a major volume jump when switching from the clean channel to the od channel? Read a review where they said that was the case ?

Not to worried if I can't get a statesman as I have my eye on a switchblade combo too.

Thanks guys
    No volume jump as each channel has it's own volume so you can easily balance them.

There was a criticism, in Guitarist's review I think, that there is too big a jump in gain from the clean to drive channels, and this is true of my 6L6 combo.  BUT, if you keep the gain fairly low on the drive channel and use the footswitchable boost for higher gain stuff then it gives you the best of all worlds and a very versatile set up.  Plus they have a switchable second master volume on the drive channel for solo boosting.

Great amps for the money they can be had for (on a good day). 
  • Thanks for the info @stefB
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited May 2014
    I spoke to Simon McBride about H&K amps and whilst he uses the bigger Triamps, he said the best all- rounder from the Statesman range was the Quad 84 (offered great cleans and lead and no annoying volume channel discrepancies or bleed from the other channel - another Guitarist gripe with the Dual).
    I nearly went with one but chose the H&K Tubemeister 36 head instead just for it's compact size and low weight.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited April 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    I spoke to Simon McBride about H&K amps and whilst he uses the bigger Triamps, he said the best all- rounder from the Statesman range was the Quad 84 (offered great cleans and lead and no annoying volume channel discrepancies of bleed from the other channel - another Guitarist gripe with the Dual).
    I nearly went with one but chose the H&K Tubemeister 36 head instead just for it's compact size and low weight.
    Thanks for the info buddy.

I was looking at a grandmeister a while back but didnt want to spend that much plus the foot pedal.

Whats the Tubemeister 36 like for Cleans. Can you get twangy fender like tones and does it have enough headroom to keep up with a drummer on the clean channel?

Thanks
    I Ab'd the statesman with the tubemeister, and to my ears the statesman won hands down.  Tubmetister was still a nice amp tho.

I haven't noticed a volume jump -  both channels have their own volume control anyway so you just set it accordingly.  the boost function is superb as well.
  • thomasw88;217255" said:
    I Ab'd the statesman with the tubemeister, and to my ears the statesman won hands down.  Tubmetister was still a nice amp tho.

I haven't noticed a volume jump -  both channels have their own volume control anyway so you just set it accordingly.  the boost function is superb as well.

Thanks for the input mate.

I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on one once I can get one at a good price.

In the mean time just picked up a blackstar ht40 combo for £210 to keep me going.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Interesting stuff.

I could quite fancy one of those.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    @Fortheloveofguitar the Tubemeister 36 cleans are very good -pristine, jangly, bouncy and there's enough headroom there to be heard in a full band. I prefer to use pedals into the clean and rarely use the amp drive channels but they're good. However, I, too, think the Statesman cleans have the edge. Whilst I've mentioned the TMs size and low weight as being an important factor for me- it replaced a Mesa Boogie 2x12 5:50- coupled with its spec and sounds, it won me over.

H&Ks don't seem to hold their value and I was finding used Statesman Duals and Quads for £400 or less. You can also get them in black covering if you don't like the brown look.
    You might also want to look at PRS SE amps, and I mentioned this somewhere else today, but I believe Thomanns and Guitar Village, Farnham are doing very good deals on them.

@Fortheloveofguitar - just seen your comment on @EricTheWeary's HT40 thread and didn't want to hijack, so thought I'd resurrect this more appropriate thread.

Have you seen this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331189813593?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• @stefb I did see that mate. I'm in total disarray over what I need that it's now frying my mind
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

I picked up a Statesman Dual EL84 last summer for a very good price (£250 ish). It did sound great, but I had problems with it almost straight away - a kind of valve failing 'fluffy' sound, and a few weeks later, no sound at all. Changed valves, but no joy. It was a swine to get fixed - no local repairers could do anything, as it was a PCB problem. Had to take it to HQ in Leeds in the end, and it was there for weeks. Just saying, there may be a question mark about reliability, and if it goes wrong H&K in Leeds might well be your only option. BTW just in case the person I bought it from is on here, he was an absolute gent and paid for the repairs.

I've since gone down the tweed deluxe clone route - if it breaks, anyone can fix it!

svejk said:

I picked up a Statesman Dual EL84 last summer for a very good price (£250 ish). It did sound great, but I had problems with it almost straight away - a kind of valve failing 'fluffy' sound, and a few weeks later, no sound at all. Changed valves, but no joy. It was a swine to get fixed - no local repairers could do anything, as it was a PCB problem. Had to take it to HQ in Leeds in the end, and it was there for weeks. Just saying, there may be a question mark about reliability, and if it goes wrong H&K in Leeds might well be your only option. BTW just in case the person I bought it from is on here, he was an absolute gent and paid for the repairs.

I've since gone down the tweed deluxe clone route - if it breaks, anyone can fix it!

Have been gigging one extensively for a year, and apart from one fuse, has been a joy!
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    They have a great rep, I must have been unlucky. It did work long enough for me to tell it sounded great!