Voting for Composition Challenge 24

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #24

VOTING AND DATES
Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Voting ends midnight 24th December 2018, and the top three will be announced shortly after.

REMINDER OF GUIDELINES
The theme of this challenge was to write a Christmas related tune or song.

PLAYLIST
Below is the playlist of entries:
Each entrant has also provided a picture, which becomes a bit bigger if you click on the individual track in the Soundcloud playlist.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-24-2018-12

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Entrants: Feel free to post any info you like about your track.

My entry is more of a cover/mash-up than an original composition. So maybe I shouldn't get any votes. I'll let you be the jury.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Think Public Service Broadcasting and Eno getting together for a chilled out post-modernist slice of nostalgia on a temperamental PC ... no me neither .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    edited December 2018
    Mine is a tongue in cheek imagining of what it might sound like if Ghost recorded a Christmas song. Hence the attempted mid voice vocal with as little vibrato as possible, obligatory organ break and Latin verse

Lyrics

Santa tinsel mistletoe
    Conifer tannenbaum the Yuletide Log

He is the one who watches over you
    He knows if you have been naughty or been good
    He makes the list of all you girls and boys
    So do not sin or you won't get any toys

Hail Santa!

From Devon down to Hull He'll bring you Christmas fear
    No resurrection it's the wrong time of year

Hail Santa!
    Buy presents

Gaudete in dulci jubilo
    Per nostra crimina
    Romanes eunt domus
    Wingardem leviosa

He climbs down your chimney and enters through the flames
    Never lets poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games

Hail Santa!

• Great job guys. It's going to take a few listens for me to settle on a top three
  • Lets get this voting started.
    5 points to Fretwired, beautifully done, the only Queens speech... ever
    3 points to Stratman3142, a progressive Christmas.
    1 point to FlyingPie, rock ever onwards

• I'm torn between the tunes/songs I like the most and which ones are the best match to the theme.
    It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited December 2018
    Thought I'd share a bit of info on my poor effort.

It's meant to be a tongue in cheek homage to Chas (rest his soul) & Dave if they were to do a grumpy Christmas song. Little bit Flanders and Swann seemed to sneak in as well but with some terrible puns and a bit of "oooh matron"

Recorded the banking using my keyboard as a midi controller which enabled me to quantise my normally "flexible" timing. Piano & bass are free Kontakt instruments, drums are Drum Lab (Kontakt again). The bells were just the standard midi sounds in cubase.

Vocals are pretty basic, recorded dry (had to be quick as my computer wouldn't play along Wednesday night so no time to correct the flat bits) then just a bit of compression added in cubase. I didn't have time to do the harmony manually so I debuted the Eventide harmony plugin I got cheap on Black Friday on the choruses.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I'm torn between the tunes/songs I like the most and which ones are the best match to the theme.
    Likewise.

And therein lies the problem faced when writing Christmas songs - do you write great music tenuously linked to Christmas...? or do you write a Christmas song?
    Likewise.

And therein lies the problem faced when writing Christmas songs - do you write great music tenuously linked to Christmas...? or do you write a Christmas song?
    In my case the decision was informed rather by my lack of ability to do one of those options...
  • Thanks to all that entered.

5 points @thecolourbox : A proper Christmas song and a clear winner for me. I could imagine Eric Idle writing something like this.

3 points @flying_pie : Great concept. Just the ticket if there's ever a 'metal' version of the Rocky Horror Show

1 point @PolarityMan : Very creative and lots of ideas.

I really did like the other entries as well, but felt that the Xmas theme was more of a 'bolt-on' than being intrinsic to the piece.

It's not a competition.
  • I haven't had a chance to listen back yet but a bit of history on mine. Most years my band do a Christmas Song (thats always based around Vikings for some reason). The way we do this is that we just throw out tons of short unrelated ideas in 1 or 2 rehearsals then i try to bolt them together into a song the following week.

Since we don't have much time and my mobile recording setup only takes 2 inputs everything is very much ghetto recorded and we often fuck up (like on this one I'm pretty sure the guitars were accidentally recorded through the drum overheads instead of the close mics).

We often heavily plagiarise other songs..in this case the snowman theme obviously. The "insult to Zeus" solo was supposed to be a Robert Plant homage and the bit at the end was our version of an Opeth-Deliverance style ending.

The chorus was a pretty shoddy attempt at some INXS influence.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm going with

5 points @PolarityMan as I will almost always go with the metal songs. Love the weird humour and riffing

3 points @thecolourbox - can't get much more festive than a panto song. Very, ahem, original use of Jingle Bells in the middle 8

1 point @stratman3142 sabbatraditional works, it would appear

And very honorable mentions to @DeeplyDazzled and @Fretwired whose entries were far too good for me to consider them as Christmas songs. I seriously loved them both but prefer my festive stuff either traditional or ultra cheesy
  • Thanks for the honorable mention Flying-pie, my tune hardly had a Christmas theme but i thought i would upload it to try and get the ball rolling.
    My New Years wish is that next years composition challenges have nothing to do with the Seasons, or Christmas.
    Happy Christmas to you all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2018
    I'm happy to take suggestions for the next theme. Especially if it encourages entries.

I was thinking of making the theme of the next composition challenge as "Music For A Superhero Film". Or maybe "Music for a David Attenborough Documentary". Or maybe "Imagine You're Hans Zimmer".

Unless anyone has any better ideas.

It's not a competition.
  • A reminder that voting ends midnight 24th December 2018.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hard one this .. it seems peeps have decided that Christmas is Hell, fire, brimstone and Vallaha ... is that in the spirit of Christmas .. ;-)

So after deliberation I have a worthy winner ...

5 points @thecolourbox  reminds me of Jona Lewie's Stop the calvary .. put a smile on my face very clever and witty

3 points @stratman3142 well crafted and the sort of thing  Jack Skellington would dance to in Christmas Town

1 point to @flying_pie ; a BOC style vocal and riff going on there so what's not to like ...

I really loved @DeeplyDazzled ; and his Zappaesque sonic mayhem .. if it wasn't Christmas he would pick up 5 points

@PolarityMan .. there seemed to be two songs going on there .. very creative but not quite festive for me .. cool riffage though

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Voting closes tonight.
    It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited December 2018
    My votes are as follows:

5 points to Polarity Man. Brilliant, nutty as a fruitcake

3 points to DeeplyDazzled. I like the idea of Bing and Bowie moshing to some Zappa

1 point to Fretwired. Reminds me in a good way of the music they play at the spa during massages, and the queen's voice on the can only improve the experience

On another day maybe Stratman3142 and FlyingPie would have got points though as all were brilliant in their own way. Very much enjoyed the anti Christmas theme. For me to sound the most Christmassy is quite remarkable ;)
  • Just a gentle nudge to @PolarityMan who is an entrant that hasn't voted yet.

It's not a competition.
  • listening now!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ