Mike learns drumming...

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Yeah, the trouble is that getting any sort of raised platform would require significant compromise in terms of floor space, meaning it could only really go in our hall way or in place of the spare bed. Neither is really an option. 

yeah.. i guess his apartment was really just a drum kit and a couch to sleep on.. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    LuttiS said:
    Yeah, the trouble is that getting any sort of raised platform would require significant compromise in terms of floor space, meaning it could only really go in our hall way or in place of the spare bed. Neither is really an option. 

yeah.. i guess his apartment was really just a drum kit and a couch to sleep on.. :)
    I reckon I could get onboard with that, to an extent, and for a relatively short period. But I'm fairly sure MrsF would disagree...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    LuttiS said:

I reckon I could get onboard with that, to an extent, and for a relatively short period. But I'm fairly sure MrsF would disagree...
     Better to ask forgiveness and all that,,, :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    So fellow guitar and drummers...why do you think it is that its so much harder to stay on the click on drums versus guitar or bass?

I reckon its partly because you are changing subdivisions a lot more and also that its really hard (or at least takes a lot of practice) to play fast and quiet so you tend to naturally have much larger physical movements when you are playing fast such as when you do a fill or a fast part theres always more energy involved which tends to lead to naturally speeding up against the click. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    So fellow guitar and drummers...why do you think it is that its so much harder to stay on the click on drums versus guitar or bass?

I reckon its partly because you are changing subdivisions a lot more and also that its really hard (or at least takes a lot of practice) to play fast and quiet so you tend to naturally have much larger physical movements when you are playing fast such as when you do a fill or a fast part theres always more energy involved which tends to lead to naturally speeding up against the click. 
    So far (admittedly *very* limited experience) I've found timing to be just fine when playing with backing tracks. I don't like metronomes and never have for melodic instruments either, to be honest. 

I get that drumming to a click is a "thing", but I don't like it - music shouldn't have timing that rigid. The overall beat shouldn't change unintentionally, but tempo is one of the variables you can use to great effect, just like volume - but that needs to be intentional and controlled, rather than your standard "pub drummer getting faster through a song but dropping a 1/4 of a beat whenever he has to do that big fill" :D 
    I find a backing track much easier than a click on drums ...or rather i suspect it hides more than a click at least in my case. In both those 2 cases you're not in control of the tempo obviously.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

Guitar is a more forgiving instrument when it comes to exact timing.
    Being slightly ahead or behind a good, in time, drummer is essentially the sound of rock and roll.
    Becoming a drummer who can play in time and precisely without losing the groove is a skill in itself- it takes years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

So far (admittedly *very* limited experience) I've found timing to be just fine when playing with backing tracks. I don't like metronomes and never have for melodic instruments either, to be honest. 

I get that drumming to a click is a "thing", but I don't like it - music shouldn't have timing that rigid. The overall beat shouldn't change unintentionally, but tempo is one of the variables you can use to great effect, just like volume - but that needs to be intentional and controlled, rather than your standard "pub drummer getting faster through a song but dropping a 1/4 of a beat whenever he has to do that big fill" :D 
    You still need to play with a click and play against it in a variety of ways if you want to get beyond 'pub level' skill.

For instance, a lot of my practice is using a double definition grid- if I am playing with a 8th note pulse then the metronome is set to 16th's. If playing to a 16th note pulse then the metronome is set to a 32nd note grid.
    It is much harder than playing to a regular definition grid and will make you hate your playing for a while.

Personally I find this more important to do than playing endless paradiddles and rudiments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I found when practising drums (when i had access to a kit/regular playing) a click was important for practice, i always found i was fine playing in time, but do a slightly over enthusiastic fill and then i'm out, even if its a fraction. Play with a click to get the fill timing perfect. 
    octatonic said:

Guitar is a more forgiving instrument when it comes to exact timing.
    Being slightly ahead or behind a good, in time, drummer is essentially the sound of rock and roll.
    Becoming a drummer who can play in time and precisely without losing the groove is a skill in itself- it takes years.
    I dont disagree but I'd say that your average recording guitarist is typically tighter than the average drummer..I guess it might be a metal thing though.

Im certainly hugely tighter on guitar than drums.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350

practicing to a click is the means not the end 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    octatonic said:

You still need to play with a click and play against it in a variety of ways if you want to get beyond 'pub level' skill.

For instance, a lot of my practice is using a double definition grid- if I am playing with a 8th note pulse then the metronome is set to 16th's. If playing to a 16th note pulse then the metronome is set to a 32nd note grid.
    It is much harder than playing to a regular definition grid and will make you hate your playing for a while.

Personally I find this more important to do than playing endless paradiddles and rudiments.
    great idea 
    Red ones are better. 
    A few more weeks and another few lessons. I'm currently playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, albeit too slowly, but working on separating hands and feet fully.

The major thing I'm struggling with is 16th notes on the kick while only playing 8ths or 4ths with the right hand. I can do it when relaxed, but it fucks me over the moment I think about it. But I know that's just a question of relaxation and practice and it will come once I've got both of those sufficiently ingrained. The good news I can sightread a fair bit already, even if my limbs won't always do quite what I ask of them first time of trying.

In other news, having read a massive bundle of reviews I'm going to get a TD17-KVX for proper home practice. The new kick pedal should be quiet enough in short-but-regular bursts and I'll get a couple of noise-eaters to minimise that even further. 

Wish me luck..!

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Good luck! Two things that helped on my drum learning adventure:

1. Dance - if you're not dancing, you're not flowing.
    2. Making things easy on yourself. This means being efficient and not straining to achieve perfection, not throwing your arms all over the place (imagine a box in front of you that you try to keep your hands inside), good grip and stick balance, good seat position.

Learn to move accents, you can do this by tapping a pencil on a table or stomping your foot: ONE two three four, one TWO three four, one two THREE four, one two three FOUR (quarter notes). Right hand then left hand, then right foot then left foot. Repeat for 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 (8th notes), then 1 eh & ah, 2 eh & ah (16ths) ... 1 te-ta for triplets. 

This helps build independence. The last thing you want to be doing is thinking about what is coming next, the latency kills it.

I found the best thing abut drumming was that you are always better each time you get back on it.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    Good luck! Two things that helped on my drum learning adventure:

1. Dance - if you're not dancing, you're not flowing.
    2. Making things easy on yourself. This means being efficient and not straining to achieve perfection, not throwing your arms all over the place (imagine a box in front of you that you try to keep your hands inside), good grip and stick balance, good seat position.

Learn to move accents, you can do this by tapping a pencil on a table or stomping your foot: ONE two three four, one TWO three four, one two THREE four, one two three FOUR (quarter notes). Right hand then left hand, then right foot then left foot. Repeat for 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 (8th notes), then 1 eh & ah, 2 eh & ah (16ths) ... 1 te-ta for triplets. 

This helps build independence. The last thing you want to be doing is thinking about what is coming next, the latency kills it.

I found the best thing abut drumming was that you are always better each time you get back on it.

Cheers :)

Your point #1 is spot on. I've never been capable of standing completely still while playing guitar, but that's way more true with drumming - the moment I'm playing something resembling a song rather than a learning exercise I can't help but bounce with it, and that definitely helps with the playing too. 

The important thing is I'm still enjoying it and really looking forward to being able to play a full kit at home. Considering my last music lesson pre-2019 was about 18 years ago, I think that's ok :)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    My full kit is still sitting here, not being used. I went electric and just having the facility to practice, practice, practice made such a difference. I got back into it for physiotherapy reasons mainly, I needed to give my joints and spine a good workout so my routine was to put on a good live CD (for me, Caravan, live at Fairfield Hall) and basically pretend I'm in the band. So, I used to play a 70 minute live set in my front room every night for about a year! Got pretty good doing that. The moving accents thing came from Clive Bunker (original Tull drummer). The ultimate full-body workout, sod Zumba.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So this happened... :D 

Awesome.
    May I make a suggestion?
    Practice in shoes/slippers unless you plan on playing gigs in socks.

octatonic said:
    Awesome.
    May I make a suggestion?
    Practice in shoes/slippers unless you plan on playing gigs in socks.

Ta! That's probably quite a good idea, at least some of the time. I have no gigging plans yet, although a mate who has an Oasis tribute out here has just put up an ad for a drummer... 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    So this happened... :D 

Nice, which brain does it have?
    The VH-11 hihat are great for getting good technique.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1