What is the ideal lesson duration?

What's Hot
I'm going to enroll in some keyboard lessons in 2019.

I'm an intermediate guitarist that understands theory reasonably and can figure and bang out a progression on keys, but I'm definitely not a keys player.

Should I be going for 30 min or 60 min lessons? I am thinking that the lessons will be focused on technique to start with.

Thoughts? Would especially appreciate thoughts from any music teachers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I do guitar lessons for 60 minutes only. Unless they're a child and under 10 I'd do 30. 

Reasons are is most of them take almost 30 minutes to get here and by the time we've made small chit-chat, unpacked/tuned guitars and recapped on last week we've lost 15 minutes. Also I wind down/wrap up 5 minutes towards the end so in reality you've only got about 40 minutes actual lesson time. It takes most of my learners a while to get into the zone as well so if we're tackling an exercise they'll have to repeat it numerous times for it to stick. If we're doing songs 30 minutes isn't enough for me to cover the parts properly. Keyboard might be different, but for me I'd always want an hour lesson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @Lestratcaster thanks for the input. Very good and logical advice. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28023
    Not what you asked,  but I usually have hour-long cello lessons. On occasion there's a cancellation and I get offered a 90-minute lesson instead (at a preferential price).

90 minutes is too long for me. An hour (with the losses to chat and faffery that Lestratcaster mentioned) feels right. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been teaching off and on for 30 years and find 30 minutes is perfect for most cases.  The only times a 60 minute lesson worked was with advanced classical and flamenco students.    As it stands, I currently teach at a music store/school where the store manages all scheduling and payment and so far no one has requested a 60 minute spot.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    I think it also depends on the frequency. 45 mins every week might be enough, but if it’s every fortnight you’re going to need an hour - to get back in sync, and also because hopefully there is 2 weeks’ improvement to review and 2 weeks’ planning to set. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I do 30 minutes for kids and generally an hour for adults. With kids the attention span just isn't there until they get into their teens, and then only if they're really interested. Need longer with adults really - generally there's a bit of chat anyway*, but you can actually explain things properly and get into a bit of depth. I do have a couple who have 30 minutes, but I usually find I over-run a little bit. 

*I do chat with the kids as well, but this can obviously be quite random.
  • I'm happy having 1 hour lessons, though I came to the conclusion years back that I can concentrate for much longer periods of time than most people - I suspect this came from years of application at work.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I find that taking guitar lessons I need an hour. By the time my fingers start working and we have a bit of a chat that's some time gone and I'm the sort that likes things explained to me so whilst I'm not learning theory in the lesson I do pick up things that way. Half an hour would be too short. More than an hour gives me too many things to take in
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    My lessons are one hour in length. Sometimes I think I learn stuff in 30 mins and then think I could actually just practice that for another 30 mins at home (instead of paying for it), but in the main I would say 60 mins is about right for me.  

I make it 'my time' I try and stay away from chit-chat and try to just talk guitars/amps/leads/headphones etc.  So the lesson isn't just about learning theory or just playing stuff, it's also about building knowledge and drawing on my tutor's experience.
  • Shrews said:
    My lessons are one hour in length. Sometimes I think I learn stuff in 30 mins and then think I could actually just practice that for another 30 mins at home (instead of paying for it), but in the main I would say 60 mins is about right for me.  

I make it 'my time' I try and stay away from chit-chat and try to just talk guitars/amps/leads/headphones etc.  So the lesson isn't just about learning theory or just playing stuff, it's also about building knowledge and drawing on my tutor's experience.
    With a couple of learners I find it tricky sometimes to stay on topic as we get along pretty well. A couple of times in the hour I have to sorta break off from banter or joking around (although its still important to keep it fun!) and get on with it. Some of them may need 2 hours haha.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Thanks all for the input. I do feel hour long lessons are ideal too, having had that for guitar in the past. I've had longer, which wore me out and have me too much to take in, but not shorter ones.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I'm currently having 2 hour lessons fortnightly, because the teacher is about 45 minutes away it makes sense. We're mainly working on rhythm and phrasing basics, which I need to improve, it's good fun and 2 hours flies by.

Theory can come from a book, not sure worth paying a teacher for. The role he takes is playing partner and mentor, helping push my envelope of ability and pulling me up when I'm on the wrong path. We use the songs I'm learning for my band, but they're the vehicle rather than the point.

Only a human could do that. I think of them more as a guitar workout (or on a bad day, guitar beasting) rather than a lesson.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    I do 30 minute lessons cos in most cases I can get through what the lesson for the week is and any problems that need worked on ..for more advanced players or ones with lots of questions I go on for 45 mins or an hour ....depending iff I have anyone after....I usually leave 15 minute gaps between lessons ...I still only charge for the 30 mins ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shrews said:

If I had a pound for every learner that said "I can just practice this in my own time..." I'd be a very rich man!! I know for a fact they won't practice it the same as how we do it in the lesson, and for a prolonged period, maybe due to distractions or no set routine.
  • IMO 30 min for junior school age children 60 min for everyone else. Its based on attention span and the ability to concentrate.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1232
    As someone who has had to sit through various courses, the ones where I've remembered the most have ensured there's a tea/wander/talking nonsense break at least once an hour. However, when learning something completely new, I'd struggle with more than 30 minutes concentration.

Ultimately though, everybody is different, and a good tutor should be able to identify when a student has reached the point where learning has stopped, and good learners will be able to realise they've reached that point.
    The point at which you start making stupid mistakes, and not understanding what you're trying to learn, is the point you should stop.