Random scale generator app/website

HaychHaych Frets: 5629
Does such a thing exist?  I'd like to be able to just click a button and be given a scale and neck position to play/practise without having to input any other parameters.

I've come across a few which will give you a scale based on more input parameters and then produce a fretboard diagram with all playing positions, but I want to be a bit more random than that and to be forced to think, rather than be spoon-fed the answers.

A bonus would be for an option to show the scale and playing position (sort of like a cheat mode) and or just the notes and starting fret.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Use 3 dice. 2 of them give you the 12 keys and the other gives you 6 modes (don’t bother with locrian)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Not quite what you're looking for, but I have SRMachine on my iPad - you can choose the instrument, note range, whether there are accidentals/triplets/rests/ties, time signature, note values - and it generates a few bars of music with a click track for you to play along to.
  • On the "low-tech" end, I have a book.   It's all scales, I just randomly select a page with my thumb and open it up.  There's my scale for today.  The book I have is "The World of Scales" (for guitar)by Don J. Maclean.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I think @carlos had something like that on his website, but I can't find the page any more.  He also had a Wayne Krantz app  IIRC. 

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    viz said:
    Use 3 dice. 2 of them give you the 12 keys and the other gives you 6 modes (don’t bother with locrian)
    2 dice together will never give you "1" (would that be C or A?) and will make it more likely you get a 6, 7 or 8 than a 2 or a 12. Could work I guess!
    Myself I got 12 playing cards and put post-its with all the 12 keys on it. Shuffle, deal, done. You can then do chord types on other cards, like maj7, min7, dom7, 9, m9, 6, m6, etc. Lay out 3 cards with keys, lay out 3 cards with chord types. Play them on a loop, practice soloing over.
    As for my practice tool, it's based on Wayne's Improviser's OS. Link is here - http://carlosfguitar.weebly.com/krantzinator.html
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited December 2018
    carlos said:
    viz said:
    2 dice together will never give you "1" (would that be C or A?) and will make it more likely you get a 6, 7 or 8 than a 2 or a 12. Could work I guess!
    Myself I got 12 playing cards and put post-its with all the 12 keys on it. Shuffle, deal, done. You can then do chord types on other cards, like maj7, min7, dom7, 9, m9, 6, m6, etc. Lay out 3 cards with keys, lay out 3 cards with chord types. Play them on a loop, practice soloing over.
    As for my practice tool, it's based on Wayne's Improviser's OS. Link is here - http://carlosfguitar.weebly.com/krantzinator.html
    You throw the first one on its own to give you 1-6. Then throw them together - if the first one is even, ignore the 2nd throw and you have 1-6; if it’s odd, look at the 2nd one and add 6 to its score. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • carlos said:
    viz said:

That's the one!