Hi-mass bridge for P Bass

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the bridge on my 2008 MIM standard P-bass (4 string) with a drop-in hi-mass style option. My main requirement is that I want something chunky, with block or wedge saddles instead of barrels. I play noisy grunge/punk and play very hard with a pick, and the stock bridge/saddles keep moving and the low E string saddle is vibrating the grub screws so it lowers itself until the point where the frets choke out. 

I've looked at the Badass, the Hipshot Kickass and the Babicz (too expensive really) as well as the Fender Hi Mass, would ideally like to spend <80 quid, but I can't seem to find many options available in the UK. Any thoughts/recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The Fender Hi-Mass is good, as is the old Badass. I haven't come across the Hipshot yet.

If the saddle grub screws still self-adjust - they can, even with a more solid bridge design - just make sure the bridge is set up perfectly and then superglue them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Expensive - but just the best:

https://graingerguitarparts.com/t/bass-bridges
  • Very nice looking, but not direct drop-in for a Fender, unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Very nice looking, but not direct drop-in for a Fender, unfortunately.
    They will make one to your spec and have it exactly how you want - they are an engineering company and mill the stuff themselves on site
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Fender Hi Mass
    Is that the type seen on the American Standard Precision and Jazz basses or the Badass clone with FENDER embossed into it, seen on the Dimension Bass and a few other models?

I have one of the latter in the tasteful chrome finish but no fastening screws.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Hi Mass
    Is that the type seen on the American Standard Precision and Jazz basses or the Badass clone with FENDER embossed into it, seen on the Dimension Bass and a few other models?

The badass clone.

If you're suggesting that it might be for sale sans mounting screws (which I should be able to transfer straight over from the previous stock bridge), please feel free to slide into my PMs ;-)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I have the badass bridge on my Geddy Lee jazz and imo it’s great.   Eventually I’ll get around to fitting one or similar to my Precision - am I right in thinking they should be an easy drop in fit and the screw holes should lineup? up? 
  • John_P said:
    I have the badass bridge on my Geddy Lee jazz and imo it’s great.   Eventually I’ll get around to fitting one or similar to my Precision - am I right in thinking they should be an easy drop in fit and the screw holes should lineup? up? 
    I hope so, as that's my plan!
    John_P said:
    am I right in thinking they should be an easy drop in fit and the screw holes should line up? 
    Affirmative. Very considerate of Fender to engineer that into the design. ;)

The Fender BadAss alike is available here at a price that I cannot undercut. https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fender-Bridge-Hi-Mass-IV-/art-BAS0007634-000

One word of caution regarding BasAss I and II type bridges. The minimum saddle height is engineered for a fretted bass guitar. On de-fretted or proper fretless instruments, the lowest available action will be higher than even James Jamerson's P Bass unless or until the neck is shimmed.

Be seeing you.
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    Fender Hi Mass

Yes, its the bridge for the current american basses, much better than the previous bridge,
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    The Fender hi-mass bridge is nice, cheap, and a direct replacement.

It's as good as a Badass, IMHO (I have basses with both).

spark said:
    it’s the bridge for the current american basses
    prowla said:
    Unfortunately, Fender is currently applying the moniker “Hi Mass” to more than one design. 

The OP is interested in the BadAss clone.
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    spark said:
    it’s the bridge for the current american basses
    prowla said:
    Unfortunately, Fender is currently applying the moniker “Hi Mass” to more than one design. 

The OP is interested in the BadAss clone.
    This...

Cost me £30 from Absolute Music in Bournemouth, earlier in the year.
  • Quick thought - is string spacing a thing to consider with the Hi Mass bridge?
    prowla said:

Aye. That's the badger.

Quick thought - is string spacing a thing to consider with the Hi Mass bridge?
    As can be seen in prowla's photograph, the string alignment sorts itself out under tension. For wider string spacings, it would be necessary to make notches in each saddle to guide the strings - just like the old Leo Quan product.

Be seeing you.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited December 2018
    Have you given any thought to the Fender Vintage bridge?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftc said:

Lol awarded
    fftc said:
    Lol awarded
    If in doubt, read the thread from the beginning. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559

fftc said:

Lol awarded
    Ha.
    Perhaps I should have explained a bit.
    I realise it isn't a high mass bridge, but by all accounts it is an improvement on the MIM standard bridge, is a direct fit, and may solve some of your issues without being such a departure from the classic look.
    Arguably, the quality of the steel used in a bridge could make a difference to the tone. 

Given the OP's description of his requirements, physical stability is the number one consideration. The Sixties style "threaded" Fender bass bridge is probably the single worst candidate for meeting this brief. Hard playing tends to cause the strings to hop sideways across the ridges.
    Be seeing you.