Aynsley Lister Guitar Weekends

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
Any FBers go on these? Always fancied it but not yet booked onto one.

Is it structured well? Good teaching? Mixed levels of ability? Worth the money?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Nobody? Surprised.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    It looks good value for money from what I can see, so unless you'd have to travel very far to get there, then if you are a fan of his type of music (and I'd assume you are), maybe worth just going for it?

But there must be people here or elsewhere who can give you some kind of a review of what it was like.  If you do it, please do let us know what you think?  I'm not that far from Uxbridge where they do it, so it is tempting, but I'm not really that into playing that kind of style at the moment.
  • I've been on 3 of them - twice as a guitarist and once as a bass player.  The only reason I stopped is because I've got 3 other weekend things every February, two of them guitar related, and unfortunately Aynsley's weekend is fourth in the list.  I enjoyed them all though.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/142870/#Comment_142870

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2063456/#Comment_2063456
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    I've been on 3 of them - twice as a guitarist and once as a bass player.  The only reason I stopped is because I've got 3 other weekend things every February, two of them guitar related, and unfortunately Aynsley's weekend is fourth in the list.  I enjoyed them all though.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/142870/#Comment_142870

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2063456/#Comment_2063456
    I think I may need some new shoes.....
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Can't comment on the workshops, but I have seen the guy play live, and he is very good!
  • I met Aynsley at IGF when I was 19. He was really supportive of me as a young player and we hung out a fair bit. I liked him a lot and I still play some licks I learned in a workshop of his back then. He's been doing this a long time so his teaching skills ought to be as good as his playing by now.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2019
    Hattigol said:
    Is it structured well? Good teaching? Mixed levels of ability? Worth the money?
    Have a look on youtube for examples.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I went a couple if times. Came to it from having gone to a Matt Schofield IGF masterclass. Then one of the guys, Eddie Hyde, started organising weekends with Matt at Denham Grange. I went to a few of those and then Matt moved to the US and wasn't available much and Aynsley was drafted in. 

For me the best bit of the weekend was getting to play with a pro rhythm section. Stellar. Quite a lot of jamming but if you don't know anyone it's difficult to get included. I wouldn't say it's cliquey but a lot of the guys have been going for years and know each other well and are not necessarily very inclusive of newcomers. 

Aynsley is very good and the better sessions are where you get to play with the band working on specific exercises rather than just jamming. The weekend is very enjoyable, Denham is good , the food excellent,  but if you like beer take your own and smuggle it into the jam room. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Sounds reasonable value in principle but that’s the worst promo video for anything I’ve seen! 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    My wife introduced me to a colleague who used to teach Aynsley Lister. Then I found out she meant geography.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    My wife introduced me to a colleague who used to teach Aynsley Lister. Then I found out she meant geography.
    How could she confuse Aynsley Lister and geography?  One is a person, and the other is the study of physical features of The Earth and human activity's effects upon it.