Talk me out of the Zoom G1XON...

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
...looking to spend my Thomann €50 voucher and stumbled across this:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g1on

Yes, it's plastic, it's cheap, it's FUGLY as sin but it has a LOT of the interesting amp sims and effects from the Multistomp and G3/5 series.  It only allows 5 effects at a time (I don't need anything like that) and has things like a drum machine and a looper that I won't use.

It could quite easily fill the late night practise tool, and as long as I'm nice to it I'm sure it could be a backup tool in the event of a failure at a gig.

Am I bonkers?

But it'll end up being around £25 with the voucher.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Cheap as chips and one assumes sounds as good as the G3, then go for it.

I've got a G3 and I think it's great. 

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Looks horrible but I have a g3 and the models are great.

I even think the vibe model on the zoom is better than the vibe on my strymon mobius.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    edited April 2014
    Don't do it, there see said with conviction. G3 or G5 OK

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I wouldn't assume it's a G3 lite necessarily. The AD / DA converters and the processing power will probably be well inferior, or maybe not, but they don't make much noise in the blurb about sounds derived from their other units.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    dindude said:
    I wouldn't assume it's a G3 lite necessarily. The AD / DA converters and the processing power will probably be well inferior, or maybe not, but they don't make much noise in the blurb about sounds derived from their other units.
    I'm not assuming, but I'd be pretty staggered if they used different models (i.e. software) on this versus the MS50G which does use the G3/5 models.

I take your point about the converters though (that said, the specs across all the models are the same which would suggest they might be using the same convertors) - but then if they can build and make money on the ~£70 MS50G, it's not a big leap for me to imagine they can dump most of the development costs into a cheap chassis and sell it for £55 locking down aspects of the software to avoid stepping on their 'higher spec' models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just reading the manual - they say the effects are from the G3.

Programming the thing looks like a bit of a ball ache though!
  • Actually looks quite good, does it have speaker emulation?
    It doesn't 'look' good at all, but I take your point!

Loads of cabs:

FD COMBO 2x12  Fender Twin Reverb ('65) cabinet with 2x12-inch Jensen speakers.
    DLX-R 1x12 Fender Deluxe Reverb cabinet with 1x12-inch Jensen speaker.
    FD VIBRO 2x10 Fender Vibroverb ('63) cabinet with 2x10-inch Jensen speakers.
    US BLUES 4x10 Fender Tweed Bassman cabinet with 4x10-inch Jensen speakers.
    VX COMBO 2x12 British combo amp cabinet with 2x12-inch Celestion Alnico speakers.
    VX JMI 2x12 Early model British combo amp cabinet with 2x12-inch Celestion Alnico speakers.
    BG CRUNCH 1x12 Mesa Boogie MkIII cabinet with 1x12-inch Electro Voice speaker.
    MATCH 30 2x12 Matchless DC30 cabinet with 2x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    CAR DRIVE 1x12 Carr Mercury cabinet with 1x12-inch Eminence speaker.
    TW ROCK 1x12 Two Rock Emerald 50 cabinet with 1x12-inch Fane speaker.
    TONE CITY 4x12 Cabinet with 4x12-inch Fane speakers.
    HW STACK 4x12 Hiwatt Custom 100 cabinet with 4x12-inch Fane speakers.
    TANGERINE 4x12 Orange Graphic 120 cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    B-BRKR 2x12 Marshall Bluesbreaker cabinet with 2x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    MS CRUNCH 4x12 Marshall 1959 cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    MS 1959 4x12 Marshall 1959 B cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    MS DRIVE 4x12 Marshall JCM2000 cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    BGN DRIVE 4x12 Bogner Ecstasy cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    BG DRIVE 4x12 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    DZ DRIVE 4x12 Diezel Herbert cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    ALIEN 4x12 Engl Invader cabinet with 4x12-inch Celestion speakers.
    REVO-1 4x12 Krank Revolution 1 Plus cabinet with 4x12-inch Eminence speakers.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol okay it looks like it fell out of the 80's arse, but the features are neat. I might need to look into one, if I can record direct to interface (which it should... I think) then it's a no brainer for that money.
  • Looks like you need patience to program(me) that thing. The ease of programming is one of the things that attracted me to the G3X, which I use for practising. Also the G3 has an XLR out which can make it more versatile for live use if you're into that kind of thing (I have used mine as an acoustic guitar DI box live).

Having said all that, for the price of two packs of elixir strings... :)

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    You can probably use the Zoom "Edit & Share" software over USB to program it. I use that with the G3. I'll often put all the effects where I want them and guess ballpark settings - then once I'm actually using the device it's a matter of tweaking those settings rather than starting from scratch.

• The fact that it has 'Zoom' stamped on it should be enough to talk you out of it ;)
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    I just got one of these, the G1on (without the ex pedal) and Im very happy with it. I've got a bank set up just for mod fx with one stomp model on each patch, with a bypass bank every couple of patches. I think it would be a good addition to my pedal board. The 30 second looper is a bit too short, just enough time time to lay a moderate tempo 12 bar backing down. a minute would have been great. No tap temp either via footswitch or tapping the buttons even, you have to set the master bpm and that affects all pedals, so no good for dotted eighths on the fly as it were.
    All the same I don't think you can argue at that price £49.00 for the mods alone.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    The fact that it has 'Zoom' stamped on it should be enough to talk you out of it ;)
    Ooh, you're in trouble. I've calculated that 7 out of 10 forumers own a G3, and 35% of all threads reference a G3.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody other than me has the G1on / G1xon?
    I'm looking someone to help me with good patches to use with a stratocaster

thanks

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    It looks like a shite Super Nintendo add-on. I say keep your money or spend it on a G3. 

• You're wrong, it sounds good.

I bought it just to practice playing guitar with backing tracks, or metronome.

It has same processor of G3 (but with some limitation in effect chains)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited June 2014
    If it has the same sort of sounds as a g3, look for g3 set ups and tweak it from there :)

I have to admit, it seems a remarkable bit of kit for the dollar.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    buy the HOF mini ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?