New track - any thoughts very welcome...

This one is something that I wrote quite a while ago, but I haven't managed to do a semi-decent recording of it until now. The recording and mix are rough. Any thoughts are very welcome; good, bad or just plain old ugly. Cheers ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2019
    Enjoyed that. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Nice playing, possibly needs a bit more omph at the end but very nice
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    HI...firstly...well done completing and posting a piece !...its a task isn't it  ;-)

So...for me the drums lack some clarity, then theres that sort of click track type into ?...Id lose that...plus a Hi Hat jumps out here and there...way too loud ...or is that the idea ?

The vocal FX is making it very wide, which is ok, but I would keep that to the chorus or something. 

That Hi Hat just came in again !...

Not a bad mix overall, guitars sound nice....what you using?

Good Job !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited January 2019
    You sir, are definitely a UK Neil Young..
    I can also hear hints of Badfinger in the writing style too.
    A very old school type of track... which is fine be by me.
    Just needs more bottom end and those hi-hats on the breaks are a bit too loud and crunchy.

Have to say I did enjoy that. :+1: 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Cheers for all the kind words! :-)

@spark240 The mix is just a quick and dirty one to be honest. The drums were done with Acoustica Beatcraft, so simple and basic, and nothing more than a guide really. This track needs the real thing as it's quite loose, but getting round to recording a full kit takes some effort, and for the moment it's not going to happen unless someone volunteers to do it for me.
    The guitars are recorded from the Amplitube 57 Deluxe (the older 2 knob one), and straight into an SD recorder. I then play about with levels, add basic compression and reverb in Cubase, and Bob's your uncle, sort of!

@equalsql Thanks very much indeed! It was the Neil Young vibe I was after, so I'm really glad you picked up on that as it makes me feel like I've acheived my aim :-) As I said to @spark240 , the drums are just a guide. I hope to re-do the whole thing at some stage in the future with a drummer, but it'll have to wait, and this quick demo will serve its purpose. As you say, a thundering bass is in order too, and this will be added when the proper recording gets done. Old school = good school, no? ;-)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Cool. Sounds like Zuma era Neil Young but with David Gilmour singing!

Mix-wise, the vocal is quite muddy. I think the first step should be to roll all the bottom end off the delay return. I don't think the mix as a whole needs more bass, but the bass guitar is completely inaudible, if there is one. Have you got loads of compression on the drum kit or something? I reckon it'd sound better without.
  • @Stuckfast There's no bass on there, as it's a mix that I'm doing for a different project. There is compression on the drums, yes, but they're just there as a guide really. Neil Young + Gilmour! I like that a lot, and you are now officially one of my best friends ;-)

I wasn't too concerned with the mix, as it's for a project that doesn't really need to be polished at all, but in view of the great comments on here, I may well have a play with it following all of the suggestions that have been made.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I like the kind of lopey rhythm, well done. do you know Neil Young's Ragged Glory album? you might enjoy that.
  • I haven't heard Ragged Glory, but I've got quite a few others. I always associate NY with 'lopey rhythms', but they really need a real drummer to get that lazy feel.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited January 2019
    Guitars a little too overpowering for me, especially the lead guitar. Drums are too subdued. I reckon the mix needs abut of tweaking. I hear a couple of rhythm guitars (or maybe the second instrument panned slightly left is something else?) but they are indistinct. To me, some levelling, EQ and panning will bring them out nicely. 

I like the vocal track. Alot. 
  • Cheers @Branshen :-)

There's only one main guitar on there (apart from the little lead parts). I tried it in stereo, but to me it sounded worse, so I just left it on its own. If I have time this week I'll have a tweak of the mix to reflect some of the comments on here.
  • I think that sounds awesome. Really cool. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Sounds great. Sounds like something off Obscured by Clouds. Very cool.
  • Many thanks for these comments chaps, I'm enjoying the responses ;-)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Nice atmosphere on it, plus the trademark ludorum vocal! Nice work
  • horse said:
    You're a gent, Sir! Thanks for the thumbs up. I hope your projects are steaming along nicely?
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    horse said:
    You're a gent, Sir! Thanks for the thumbs up. I hope your projects are steaming along nicely?
    Like buses... Teetering on the brink of catching myself out by over-committing
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I really enjoyed it. I would agree with @spark240 regarding the drums, particularly the intro but it didn't spoil the overall enjoyment.