Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Take My Money! New signature Epiphone Jared James Nichols 'Old Glory' LPC

What's Hot

Comments

• Surely a nice Bigsby would hide those bridge plate holes. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    That's actually a great idea - although assume I'd have to lose the wraptail?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22784
    johnl said:
    Edit: one other thing worth mentioning - there's no markers on the frets past 15 at all - not even dots in the binding which surprised me.
    That just seems quirky for the sake of quirkiness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22784
    johnl said:
    That's actually a great idea - although assume I'd have to lose the wraptail?

You see SG Juniors with Maestros and wraptails, so I guess it would work with a Bigsby.  I guess those vintage trems don't divebomb enough for the bridge to fall off.

And you could always get some TonePros studs to keep it in place.

Image result for sg junior maestro

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The more i play this one the more I love it. If it had a "proper" headstock on it and they got rid of that plate then they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. It sounds great, feels much more substantial than the average junior and the neck is like sinking in to a comfy sofa.
  • johnl said:
    Right - excuse the fingerprints - a matte black finish is a fingerprint magnet:

With the plate reversed I don't think it looks too bad. 

It plays fantastically well and sounds great - it doesn't feel as nice in the hand as my R8 but it also doesn't feel like a cheap guitar by any means. Having just volume and tone forces me to engage with the controls more often than I sometimes do and you'd be surprised at how many different tones are possible just with those two.

All in all it's an absolute bargain - you're not going to be able to sell your R8 because you've got one of these but for under £600 there's very few reasons not to own one....

Edit: one other thing worth mentioning - there's no markers on the frets past 15 at all - not even dots in the binding which surprised me.
    Isn't that because no-one can play that high up on a Les Paul anyway? ;)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10369
    tFB Trader
    zepp76 said:
    Its a beautiful looking instrument ... I've always loved the idea of single pickup carved tops ... especially with a P90,
    however that plate is truly horrible. I would be inclined ... if it were mine, to get a simple brass plate with a bit of engraved scroll-work  made up to fit that area.
    That was my thoughts exactly with regards to a brass plate although the engraved scroll work wouldn't be cheap. I had a brass trigger guard for one of my rifles hand engraved and it cost the best part of £350!! Here's a photo of the work

https://i.imgur.com/QjmFgq9.jpg

Maybe a simple engraving of the name "Epiphone" in nice writing, that should be possible with an engraving machine and would be much cheaper.
    I can laser engrave on lots of materials ... not metal ... but if anyone needs something ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    A little tastefully applied black marker and problem is solved for now. Will eventually plug and finish the holes. 

It is shocking how good Epiphones are for the money these days. Based on the sticker underneath the pickup it's one of these:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-p90-bridge?__uuid_ref=5d4db3b0779c6?__uuid_ref=5d4db3b077a1c

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best quality wraparound bridge? Nothing wrong with this one but I want to upgrade what I can.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Someone should email Epiphone and inform them of our pleasure of this concept but suggest they leave the fu#kwit plastic plaque off! Maybe then also offer it as a Gold Top?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Looks fine with the marker pen touch up! Got to try one of these out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A respray is only going to cost £200-300 depending on who does it. I'm sorely tempted to buy another and have it refinished as a gold top. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I would be ssooo tempted to buy this without the sh1t plastic plaque 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Would a Duesenberg Les Trem work with the plate hole locations I wonder - that would be a great combo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I mean....you can take it off. If you look about 3 posts up I did just that....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited August 2019
    I think you lot are missing the point here - this is based on Jared’s own Epi that he modded  himself. The plate is/was his idea to cover the holes originally left by the original stop tail. Its a signature guitar based on a guitar he’s played for years.

My suggestion would be to infill the holes with matchsticks and then build up layers of back nail varnish over the top. Then micro mesh pads to knock it back to flush with the top layer of paint, then a good quality cutting compound and polish to bring the shine back. It’ll be all but invisible. Hope that helps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    I'd say - JUST PLAY THE BLOODY THING!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    Can you not see the fingerprints all over it? I haven't put it down yet  :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I'd take the plate off and leave the holes 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited August 2019
    johnl said:
    A little tastefully applied black marker and problem is solved for now. Will eventually plug and finish the holes. 

It is shocking how good Epiphones are for the money these days. Based on the sticker underneath the pickup it's one of these:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-p90-bridge?__uuid_ref=5d4db3b0779c6?__uuid_ref=5d4db3b077a1c

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best quality wraparound bridge? Nothing wrong with this one but I want to upgrade what I can.

Faber wraparound bridge.  https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/1570/faber-tbwc-59-compensated-wraparound-aluminium-bridge-aged-relic-nickel/      Would also change the studs to locking Faber ones.  https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/1572/faber-wrap-lock-locking-wraparound-steel-tailpiece-posts-nickel-imperial-inch/   in metric to fit your Epiphone.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    you worrying about two small holes whilst at the other end is that MASSIVE disproportionate Headstock!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>