Can someone please explain to me what is happening here?

What's Hot
From 1:20-1:48

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited January 2019
    A very brilliant man is effortlessly playing 462 amazing notes. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    He's not bad...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2019
    The two handed tapping bit? He is probably outlining the chords and adding in extensions. Funnily enough I am trying to learn a two handed Akira Takasaki lick and it's incredibly hard to get it sounding articulate. Guthrie doesn't even look like he is putting much effort in at all.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited January 2019
    Chord progression is Dbmaj7#11, then shifting to Am11.

The two patterns are:

Dbmaj7#11

-13-18-13---------------13-18-13----------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------13-18-13-------------------------
    -------------13-18---------------------13-18-13-----------------13-18-13--------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and

Am11

-12-17-12---------------12-17-12----------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------12-17-12-------------------------
    -------------12-17---------------------12-17-12-----------------12-17-13--------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've simplified the patterns to show the notes he uses- the exact pattern end on the second note of each group of 3 (so 18 or 17th fret taps).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Formatting has screwed up in mobile, you’ll need a proper computer to decifer I think.
  • Thanks @octatonic :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    The OP asked what is happening here.  Good question.  Good question indeed.  Technical brilliance - check, great technique -check.  One thing that is missing though is music.  Theoretically any combination of notes is music but time and experience has shown us that certain combinations of notes 'work' well together whereas other combinations do not.

Technical brilliance, as shown on the video, tends to Wow! young impressionable males.  There is a certain fascination in playing notes without any idea if the result is musical.  However you describe musical.  Listen to the playing on that video, stop it at random and then hum, sing or whistle the previous ten seconds.  Go back and compare your efforts to the recording.  Most of us will find that extremely difficult or impossible as our brains are fine tuned to hear and respond to music.  Not seemingly random selection of notes.  Music is an art form that moves us deep inside ourselves.  It makes us want to jump up and dance or sing.  In most civilizations music is an integral part of courtship.  Music does something to us.

If you have read this far, you will know that I too am wondering what is happening here..... 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Technically brilliant, god its soul less though. 

Before anyone thinks "taffs off, country is better" 

I bought Albert Lee Speechless when it came out also Jerry Donahue, although I was amazed at the technical aspect, found them both lacking in the "good old tunes" dept and gave them both away. 

Sorry i'm with @Rocker on this one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    viz said:
    I think you are wrong. I counted in the region of 220~ notes, give or take a few. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Branshen said:
    viz said:
    I think you are wrong. I counted in the region of 220~ notes, give or take a few. 
    I listened to it twice. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2019
    It sounds awful to me, I'd prefer a trip to the dentist. Isn't this the reason why somebody invented punk rock?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    God I had to switch that off and i really like Gunthrie 

Most of his stuff is much more melodic then that .... I think maybe that's purely aimed at shredders so not for me but I admire the skill .... just can't listen to it :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Danny1969 said:
    God I had to switch that off and i really like Gunthrie 

Most of his stuff is much more melodic then that .... I think maybe that's purely aimed at shredders so not for me but I admire the skill .... just can't listen to it :)
    It might sound a bit better with a 20 minute drum solo in the middle of it  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    That recording isn't the best.. the studio one is gives the listener more time to get into the melody and also has a less grating tone.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Rocker said:
    Listen to the playing on that video, stop it at random and then hum, sing or whistle the previous ten seconds.  Go back and compare your efforts to the recording.  Most of us will find that extremely difficult or impossible as our brains are fine tuned to hear and respond to music. 
    Just because you're limited doesn't mean others are too.
    Not seemingly random selection of notes. 

Yes, it's all random, buddy. Now go back to your cowboy chords and leave the discussion to the musicians, please.

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Just because we can does not always mean we should! It's just a noise to me.
  • Since we're posting versions, here's a very nice one from 'The Alchemists' compilations: