Guitar Supports - the NeckUp

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 261
Last year I discovered the benefit of using guitar supports whilst playing seated (which I normally do). They enable you to play with correct body posture, keeping both feet flat on the ground - thereby improving technique, playing tension and reducing tiredness and aches and pains (e.g. back pain).

I've tried several - including the Ergoplay Troster, the Gitano and the Dynarette cushion (which, although designed for right-handers, can be used for a left-hander like me, with a bit of imagination).

Up to now, my favourite has been the Dynarette as it is easy to swap between different guitars - although I sometimes have to use a small towel folded underneath to get the right height. There's also no need to worry about suction cups or the metal body of other supports which can scratch the guitar if the cups slip off (as a Gitano did with me).

Just recently I came across the made-in-USA NeckUp. It is a very simple concept but works really well. I've tried it on 4 different steel strung acoustics and 1 classical and it works superbly - comfortable, adjustable, stable and easy to switch between guitars. The smell (suede leather) is really nice too.

I'll still need to use the Dynarette for my Yamaha Silent Classical lefty conversion for the moment - but I notice NeckUp also do a narrow body version which I might try (and would also suit most electrics).

More details can be found at www.neckup.com . They can also be obtained in the US through eBay and I also think there is a German seller (which saves the additional customs fees)

Acoustic guitarist users include Pierre Bensusan and Ulli Bogerhausen .

Hope this is useful
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a similar device that attaches with 3 suction cups that works quite well.    Don't know the brand off hand, bought it several  years ago and it's currently at the music school I teach at, but was in this same price range.   I found it useful but not a direct replacement for the footrest, as it also began to get uncomfortable during long sets.  What I ended up doing was alternating,  one set using it, one set using footrest.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I've got a similar device that attaches with 3 suction cups that works quite well.    Don't know the brand off hand, bought it several  years ago and it's currently at the music school I teach at, but was in this same price range.   I found it useful but not a direct replacement for the footrest, as it also began to get uncomfortable during long sets.  What I ended up doing was alternating,  one set using it, one set using footrest.
    The difference between the NeckUp and the suction cap devices like the Gitano and Ergoplay is the suction caps provide the main guitar connection.

The NeckUp's main guitar connection is the strap over the end pin - with a single suction cup for a bit more stability. For classical guitars which don't have an endpin an additional suction pad (supplied) can also be used, 
  • OK, so I'm going to sound like a complete numb-nuts here so don't unload on me but.......

Would wearing a short strap hold the guitar at a height/position that is comfortable to play at?

Would it not also allow the body of the guitar to resonate more without the contact on the lower bout?

I'm aware some of these devices have suction cups mounted to a plate which allows for more resonance but these knee lifters are the same as sitting the guitar on your knee.

Is there something about using a strap that is considered wrong?

Educate me guys....

• There are some in the classical guitar world that  feel the use a footrest is THE way.  However, in the rest of the world some people do use a strap and stand up, but not many.  Most classical guitars don't even have strap pins.  I do have one that came with one strap pin that doubled as the output jack  so I boldly added the second one and tried using a strap while sitting and couldn't get it to work for me, neckdive was the biggest problem.  I have played some gigs standing up with no problem but most of the gigs I was doing in my busy period playing classical guitar demanded a sitting position.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Thanks DulcetJones. Rather than standing with a strap I was suggesting sitting with the strap shortened to the required position?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Merrick said:
    Thanks DulcetJones. Rather than standing with a strap I was suggesting sitting with the strap shortened to the required position?
    so I boldly added the second one and tried using a strap while sitting and couldn't get it to work for me, neckdive was the biggest problem

• stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    GTC said: The NeckUp's main guitar connection is the strap over the end pin - with a single suction cup for a bit more stability. For classical guitars which don't have an endpin an additional suction pad (supplied) can also be used, 
    I have a NeckUp and like it a lot; I have a bad back (old git) and footstools aggravate that.

These days I'm 90% nylon but those guys are a different world altogether. I had Philip Woodfield stick an end pin on my guitar so that I could use the neck-up. Judging by some people's reaction, you'd think I'd shat on the end graft! If it's not absolutely traditional and hundreds of years old (i.e. the way Torres did it), then it's crap. Welcoming lot...